PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ken Pom: Foul Trouble Data by Coach

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Ken Pom: Foul Trouble Data by Coach

Postby Harry0569 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:32 am

kenpom.com/blog/foul-trouble-data-by-coach

Let’s take inventory on how every coach in college hoops handles foul trouble. To make this as simple as possible, for each head coach I’m going to determine how often a starter with two fouls is on the floor in the first half. As shown in the previous post in this series, there’s a lot more context to account for with respect to players in second-half foul trouble, so for now, we’ll ignore that in the interest of providing a number that’s simple to interpret.

To make this happen, I’m using the last seven seasons of play-by-play data. I’ve sampled every game at each minute of the first half. For example, with exactly 19:00 left, I’m checking if there is a starter with two fouls and whether that starter is on the floor, then repeating this for 18:00 and each minute thereafter all the way to the end of the half.

This is essentially a random sample of the data, especially when you consider I am throwing out situations where the play-by-play data doesn’t allow one to definitively know who is on the floor. But it’s going to uncover each coach’s tendencies quite well. Just don’t take the percentages beyond the decimal point as a literal record of what’s happened in the last seven seasons. It’s reasonably close to what happened given the limitations of the data.

Among gentlemen that have coached in all seven seasons of the sample, Tubby Smith has been the most protective of starters with two fouls. He’s let a starter play just 64 of a possible 1,310 foul-troubled minutes, or 4.9% of the time. Memphis fans, you’ve been warned.

But there may be a new sheriff on the scene. SMU head coach Tim Jankovich played a starter with two fouls just 13 of a possible 798 minutes (1.6%) in his three seasons at Illinois State for which we have data.

There are also coaches who don’t go nuts if a starter has two fouls, but one rises above them all. Western Carolina’s Larry Hunter is the only person to coach in each of the past seven seasons that has his two-foul starters on the floor more often than on the bench. Of 2,135 minutes where a Catamount starter had two first-half fouls since 2010, they were on the floor for 1,189 of them, or 55.7%.

His starters tend to commit a lot of fouls and perhaps a small reason for that is they know there won’t be a quick hook when they get whistled for a second. Not only does Hunter lead the nation in percentage but over the past seven seasons, the 1,189 foul-troubled minutes by WCU is significantly ahead of the next most aggressive team over that time (Oakland, 1,067).

Who is Larry Hunter? Perhaps he’s a visionary. Or some kind of irresponsible madman. He’s coached for 23 years including a previous 12-year run at Ohio. He’s won 375 games. He shares a name with a famous computational biologist. So there are a lot of reasons to think he knows what he’s doing.

But does he?

The Catamounts went 10-8 in SoCon play and 16-18 overall but that doesn’t tell you anything about whether the strategy was effective. Their starters fouled out 25 times which tied for second with Nevada, behind Washington’s 34. If the goal is to maximize starters’ minutes, Larry Hunter was successful at that. But the goal is to improve one’s chances of winning and whether that was achieved is unknown from the information given. Nonetheless, while every coach restricts first half playing time for a player with two fouls, it’s clear some are way more flexible than others.

Here’s the data on all 321 active D-I coaches that have at least one year of experience in the books since the 2009-10 season [see link above]
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Ken Pom: Foul Trouble Data by Coach

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:58 am

Is there a Reader's Digest version available? :roll:
Bergermeister

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:17 am

He he
One Trick Pony

Postby Harry0569 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:26 am

tldr: In his three seasons as skipper at Ill St., Jank was the most conservative coach in the nation when it came to playing a starter with two fouls in the 1st half. We'll see if that translates to his stay at SMU.

It's a small sample size, but interesting to note nonetheless.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby PonyTime » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:07 am

With such a short bench last year - we would not have noticed any difference in the 9 game audition. Now that there is a much deeper bench - will be interesting.

I suspect that Wilfong's minutes may drop this season.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby max the wonder dog » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:59 pm

PonyTime wrote:With such a short bench last year - we would not have noticed any difference in the 9 game audition. Now that there is a much deeper bench - will be interesting.

I suspect that Wilfong's minutes may drop this season.

Don't see a much deeper bench. We have 9 scholarship players plus Wilfong, with Sutton joining at the end of football season.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:51 pm

While we have a shortage of bigs on next year's roster and may have to play a lot of small ball, we have 6'6" guys who can board...so I'm not overly concerned about foul trouble. Unlike the last 3 years when we struggled whenever Nic had to sit, I think Jank can compensate for anyone getting in early foul trouble. Of course, having a "deeper" bench is going to depend on the frosh contributing significant minutes and our being a really good three point shooting team
Charleston Pony

Return to Basketball