PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Nevada Tonight!!!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Nevada Tonight!!!

Postby braginator » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:39 pm

Any one else watch Nevada tonight versus UCONN. We better have our game faces on when Nevada comes up the schedule, becuase I was very impressed with them, especially their point guard. Snyder had a good game, as did Sean Paul. I hope the team had watches the video tape of tonight, because Nevada really held their own against the top team in the nation. :showoff:
braginator
Junior Varsity

Re: Nevada Tonight!!!

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:10 pm

Yes, Nevada hung well and didn't let up to the #1 team. I would have thought they would lose by 20 + pts and they were pretty much in it most of the game. Scary...
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:05 am

That's why numerous "experts" have picked Nevada to win the WAC.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby bhop » Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:21 am

It's hard to get a take on how we'll do this season. Sure, we have more returning talent and depth than in the past few years. We also have a brutal non-conference schedule, only 12 home games, and a WAC with lots of quality teams. Under those circumstances, if we win 20 games I will consider that a big achievement. I'm inclined to expect more like 17-12 or something.

I think we have good scoring options. We'll just have to see about the defense. If the defense is like last year, then we will lose several games.

Basically, I see another WAC season where everyone will knock everyone else off, ensuring no at-large bids to the Tourney. It will all come down to the conference tournament. I have a sneaking suspicion that no one besides the winner will go to the dance. God I hate the WAC. We can't get out of there fast enough for me.
bhop
Scout Team

Postby smu hoops fan » Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:53 am

BHop-man your on the road for 9 of the 1st 12. I played D1 college ball and there are no cupcakes out there especially at their play. You have to be 10-15 pts better than a home team to squeak out a W. :showoff:
smu hoops fan

Postby smu hoops fan » Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:54 am

BHop-man you're on the road for 9 of the 1st 12. I played D1 college ball and there are no cupcakes out there especially at their place. You have to be 10-15 pts better than a home team to squeak out a W. :showoff:
smu hoops fan

Postby methodistmustang » Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:21 pm

Is that the same top team in the country that almost lost to Yale???? Yes, that's what I thought. Give me a break...Nevada will be tough again, but not great.
SMU-THE University of Texas
methodistmustang
Scout Team

Postby OldPony » Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:45 pm

Watch out for the Yalies. The Eli's are a POWER. Well, maybe not.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:44 pm

Yale would beat a lot of the mid major and middle of the pack major conference schools. Nevada can compete with ANY school on a given night if they play well. Both teams have talent and are well coached.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby EastStang » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:52 pm

You're a smart high school player, but you are smart enough to know you're never going to play in the NBA, if Yale offers you a scholarship, you think for about 6 seconds before saying, "yes". Why? Perhaps because you know you'll have no trouble finding great employment after college. Ask Hillary, Bill, W, George H.W., etc.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby OldPony » Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:30 pm

Yeah- They've gone to the NCAA's a lot. The value of a Yale degree is indisputable but don't confuse them with a basetball team. Does anyone other than Princeton ever win the IVy? Oh- Wait--Cornell did when Mike Dement was their coach.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:04 pm

Does the Ivy League even offer scholarships? I was recruited by Yale for football, but they did not offer 'ships. They found jobs for the players to earn money for their schooling. That was many moons ago so I do not know how they work it now but that was the case in the late 60's.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby OldPony » Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:38 pm

No- They don't give schollies but like you said, work is available and preferences in admissions abound.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:48 pm

Trust me I am aware of the preferences in admittance. I am proud of my SAT scores, but the average student at Yale had considerably higher and that became a big factor in my decision not to go there. Although I am in favor of loosening requirements for admission to SMU, I personally would not have felt right being admitted to Yale at a level under their standards for admission. SMU was doing the opposite. The SWC football requirements were lower than SMU's requirements, but SMU required their athletes to meet the University's requirements.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Waz » Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:49 am

Preferences in admissions abound to the point that you might not have to have 1400 on your boards, 1250 will do, if you're an exceptional athlete. Not mutually inclusive. Then there is that little hitch about the 40K bill each year. You need a pretty good part time or summer job to pull down that type of scratch.

For some reason, on an annual basis, when the bigs play the good Ivy's there is trouble. Those highly recruited athletes just can't quite take their scrawny counterparts seriously until the wake up bell rings that they are in a close game and maybe even down a few, then talent usually takes over. It is amazing what intelligent, basic basketball can still do. If you look at the Gonzaga's and Kent's of the world, it even works in the mid major level. Wonder if it would work for us?
Waz
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Basketball