PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mays To Be Inducted Into Southwest Conference Hall of Fame

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby PonyPride » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:24 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

Mays SWC HoF Graphic
WACO, Texas (Texas Sports Hall of Fame/SMU) – SMU women's basketball head coach Travis Mays is one of nine inductees into the Southwest Conference Hall of Fame, the Texas Sports Hall of Fame announced.

"I am extremely honored and proud to represent my family and the University of Texas with this accomplishment. I think it is something my family can be proud of me for earning. This isn't something I set out to do, but my focus, perseverance, and commitment to my team and personal goals made it happen," Mays explained.

"There are so many people to thank who've helped me along the way. It started with my Mom and Dad, and my high school coach Jim Haley. [Texas Coach] Tom Penders allowed my career to explode with his style of play and his belief in me," Mays continued. "Another important influence was DeLoss Dodds, the Athletics Director at Texas at the time. He took the time to visit with me, and you don't realize how busy the AD is until you're on the other side of the fence. Being away from home, leaving Florida to play at Texas, knowing the AD would take time to for me made me feel comfortable and allowed me to have the success I did."

Mays was a guard at the University of Texas from 1986-90, and is second in program history with 2,279 points scored. He was the first back-to-back Southwest Conference Player of the Year, earning the award in 1989 and 1990. He was named to the All-America team as a senior. The Longhorns advanced to the NCAA Tournament twice during Mays' career, including a trip to the "Elite Eight" in his senior season. Mays scored 44 points in a tournament game against Georgia, which still ranks 14th all-time in tournament history, going 23-for-27 at the freethrow line, both NCAA Tournament records.

Mays was drafted by Sacramento with the No. 14 overall pick in the first round of the 1990 NBA Draft, and was a second-team All-Rookie selection after averaging 14.3 points per game. Mays then played two seasons with the Atlanta Hawks, before rupturing two tendons in his right foot. He recovered and enjoyed a successful eight-season career overseas in Greece, Israel, Turkey and Italy.

After his playing career, Mays began his coaching career with the San Antonio Silver Stars of the WNBA. He entered the college ranks in 2004, working under Hall of Fame head coach Jody Conradt at Texas. He also learned under Hall of Famers Van Chancellor, LSU, and Andy Landers, Georgia, before returning for a second stint at Texas prior to taking over the program at SMU.

Mays begins his first season as head coach Nov. 11 in Moody Coliseum as the Mustangs host Texas State. The induction ceremony will be Sept. 26 in Fort Worth.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball