PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Shake

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Shake

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:36 pm

I think it is really important that we get off to a good start. We need to win a couple of these high profile games - USC, Marquette and Michigan or Pitt. Put to bed any questions about us having a drop off in play post LB.

BTW, if we meet up with Michigan and win that would be three straight years beating Michigan in basketball. We'd own Michigan like we do UConn.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:31 pm

As for Shake, I hope he is ready to be Mr. Clutch for us because Sir Sic Nic was about as good as we've had at coming up big late. Big shoes to fill there.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Harry0569 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:51 pm

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... basketball

• The best shooter in the drills portion of the academy was a guard who had a sneaky-good freshman year at SMU: Shake Milton, who made 42.6% of his 122 three-point attempts for the Mustangs and is putting himself on the radar as an NBA shooting-guard prospect. He measured at 6'7" with a 6'11 1/2" wingspan at the camp—notable because he was listed at 6’5’’ on SMU's roster last season—and had the smoothest long-range stroke of all the guards, both in pull-up and off-the-catch situations. Milton doesn't want to be pigeonholed as a shooting guard, though; he hopes to play some point for the Mustangs now that Nic Moore has graduated. Milton didn't play enough point in the scrimmages here for me to get a deep read on his skills—his ballhandling and court vision still seem well behind his shooting—but a position switch would be a big new stage in his development.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby Harry0569 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:17 pm

I hope that being the primary ball handler will improve Shake's ballhandling and court vision. Should pay dividends for him at the next level - e.g., he will be able to initiate offense (run a PnR) on a secondary action.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:24 pm

Good company!
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby SMUstangs22 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:11 pm

I never thought he was a good ball handler last year. Great shooter? Yes. But he let defenders beat him to the spot when handling and it translated to being pushed around
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:25 pm

SMUstangs22 wrote:I never thought he was a good ball handler last year. Great shooter? Yes. But he let defenders beat him to the spot when handling and it translated to being pushed around

You're quickly becoming football dad of the hoops board. Maybe, just maybe, LBs O wasn't suited for Shake at PG. I never thought Noc put pressure on the D, could ever get in the lane or finish in transition, all of which are true via analytics. Hell, Nic couldn't defend wither,but he was still a great. Sometimes, the system doesn't fit the skill
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstangs22 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:35 am

hoopmanx wrote:
SMUstangs22 wrote:I never thought he was a good ball handler last year. Great shooter? Yes. But he let defenders beat him to the spot when handling and it translated to being pushed around

You're quickly becoming football dad of the hoops board. Maybe, just maybe, LBs O wasn't suited for Shake at PG. I never thought Noc put pressure on the D, could ever get in the lane or finish in transition, all of which are true via analytics. Hell, Nic couldn't defend wither,but he was still a great. Sometimes, the system doesn't fit the skill

Talk about harsh... I may be a little pessimistic regarding the impending conference moves and perhaps thats translating into my hoops discussions. But basketballdad?
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:16 am

yea, that was really harsh and I was sorta toasty. Apologies. That said, everything I said about Nic was true lol
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstangs22 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:50 am

All good. Interesting perspective regarding Nic. Hadn't thought about it from that angle
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Basketball