PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The good, the bad & the ugly

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The good, the bad & the ugly

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:30 am

Riht at the top of the list of "good" is that it was a WIN, something we aren't accustomed to after this miserable football season. Was good to see J-Ice break out with 25 pts and show he might pick up the scoring void left by Q. Very impressive 8-10 FG and 7-9 FT. Also, gotta love Patrick Simpson pulling down 8 boards in only 15 minutes.

The bad includes Castro & BHop fouling out and Simpson getting into foul trouble that limited him to 15 minutes. Also BHop's 50% FT shooting. Gotta have a better percentage from your point.

The ugly? Well, let's hope this was just 1st game sloppyness because 25 turnovers against just 17 assists won't get it done. BHop's 8 TO vs 3 assists is not a good start.

On to San Diego. This one is big if we are going to have any chance of going better than .500 in the non-conference slate.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: The good, the bad & the ugly

Postby OldPony » Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:17 am

If this team is going anywhere, we must get better production from Hopkins. 3 assists? 8 TOs? 50% FT shooting? Come on Bryan- get it together. Isham was outstanding.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Diehard Pony » Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:50 am

The real ugly was the potential loss of "the Rack" to injury. Dement was said to be concerned about the severity of his ankle sprain.

The Rack had improved his play considerably, and we need his presence inside.

<small>[ 11-23-2003, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: Diehard Pony ]</small>
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:49 am

CP, you making up your own nicks - J-Ice??

Good to see Isham play up to his potential ..I'd like to see consistent play from him. Pearson got 31 minutes. Simpson..get in the game buddy...

In a word *sloppy* against a VERY mediocre team.
Pony_Fan

Postby Stallion » Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:02 pm

-if Isham can be that kind of consistent scorer for us then I think our prospects might improve considerably-I've always seen his incredible athleticism and his closing ability but never really thought it would all come together. Keep it up.

<small>[ 11-23-2003, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Stallion ]</small>
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby OldPony » Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:51 pm

Isham is a great athlete. He is becoming a really good basketball player. If he will continue to be aggressive, he can be the leader this team needs. I'd like to see more of the O built around him to keep him focused and his mind in the game. Usually, it seems the more he shoots, the better we do. Even though he scored 24, I would like to see him get 15 shots per game minimum.
OldPony
Heisman

Return to Basketball