PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ONE LOSS!!!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: ONE LOSS!!!

Postby OldPony » Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:02 am

Look more closely at SD's losses. Oakland is super. Definitely a tourney team this year.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:31 pm

This was a very bad loss. The most disappointing thing is the lack of production from Simpson and Castro. For this team to have any success we need a lot more from those two. And I hope we get the Rack back soon!
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby scostas » Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:47 am

I was there. I agree we should have won this one without B-Hop. Both sides were a bit sloppy and we got torched from outside. I'd say maybe half of the time we did manage to get a hand in their face. To SD's credit, they hit some big shots.

We were successful early when we were able to penetrate and dump the ball into our big men.... at least for the first 15 min. For the remainder, I thought we missed some opportunities to dump the ball into the post. Would have liked to have seem more of Rack, not sure if the injury limited his role. Obviously Bennett was impressive and Lowe looked great in the second half, but I liked watching Pearson. He showed some interior toughness during some physical play on a few series.

Nice to see a few fans out there!
scostas

Postby Red Horse » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:06 pm

T J Kidd
Did you notice what kind of defense SMU was playing in the 2nd half when USD was pouring in 3-point shots? My guess is that we were in a 1-3-1 zone. What can you tell us about that??
Red Horse
Recruit

Postby scostas » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:24 pm

Forgive me as I was trying to pay a little more attention to my companion. (2nd date, I had to!!) As far as I could tell, we were in the 1-3-1 for most of the game. There was some man-man at times, but it was mostly the zone. Even in the zone, we did a decent job at times of protecting the perimeter, but they still managed to hit some key shots with a hand in their face.

Note that we did give up a couple of relatively easy buckets (one of which was the game winner) down low in man coverage late in the game.

It was the first mustang game I've been to in at least 3 years. I hate to see them lose, but it was great to be out there.
scostas

Previous

Return to Basketball