PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ONE LOSS!!!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

ONE LOSS!!!

Postby braginator » Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:50 pm

Too bad. Didn't think we would have a loss before the Texas Tech game... :devil:
braginator
Junior Varsity

Re: ONE LOSS!!!

Postby KnuckleStang » Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:01 pm

This one hurts, folks. For what it's worth, we just lost to a team that got blown out by Oakland, Creighton, and Coppin St. Bennett and Lowe stepped up big. Let's hope we can learn from this and give TT a game.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby Diehard Pony » Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:57 pm

My biggest question is are we ever going to come up with a defense against the 3 point shot?? For the last several years we have fallen victim to the 3 point shooting of virtually every team we have lost to.

I am pulling for the Ponies, and Mike Dement, to see some post season action, but if we can't figure this out there will be no dancing once again for the ninth straight year. This was a sub-average team that we should have beaten even without B-Hop.

Maybe Monday night I will feel better.....hence my "handle".

<small>[ 11-28-2003, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Diehard Pony ]</small>
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby StangEsq » Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:12 am

This isn't San Diego State, right? The University of San Diego? Are you kidding?
:no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:05 am

Yeah, Dement's system is ****.
Why does Copeland fire a football coach every 5 years but lets Dement keep on achieving the same level of mediocrity year after year?

Bennett sounds like he'll be special though.. perhaps with a new coach!
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:35 am

San Diego was 0 and 4 before our game! We lead by 10 at halftime! Just another BAD loss by Dement.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OldPony » Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:39 am

Die Hard- Our 3 point percentage was better than SD's. If you watched the TT game, they were unable to stop GT from getting wide open 3's. Must be the coaching. TT gave up outside shots all night. Just poor coaching-huh?
We had Isham playing out of position and he had a horrid shooting night against SD while trying to play point. That was the difference.
It seems that no matter what happens there are those of you who blame Dement. On the other hand, you say BHop is the best player ever recruited by SMU. In case you didn;t notice, BHop wasn't there last night. We are terribly short of PGs and when Bhop isn't there, we don't have a true distibutor. Isham did a nice job as far as TO's but isn't able to penetrate and dish. This was an unexpected loss but it was away and without one of our starters. The sky isn't falling.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:16 am

I will go a step farther and say last night's loss was not necessarily "unexpected". Even though S.D. was replacing most of their starters, their lineup was full of JUCOs and the Illinois transfer killed us with his treys. That S.D. program won the WCC last year and danced at the NCAAs, so I didn't have that game down as one of our "expected" wins.

I felt coming in we'd do well to go 5-5 in the non-conference, especially with only 3 home games and two of those being TTech and Wake. I still look at Baylor, App St, Navy and either Miami-Ohio or IUPUI (at the Purdue Tourney) as games we might win in order to go 5-5, but I don't see that happening without BHop in the lineup. With BHop, I still like our chances of going 5-5 and 11-7 in WAC play and going into the WAC tourney with the same 16-12 mark we had last year.
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:44 am

....to be exact 9 JUCO/Prep/Transfer players including all three of their best players who combined for 46 points and 24 rebounds or more than 2/3 of their points and exactly 2/3 of their rebounds. Where o where were Simpson and Castro against this "second rate" group. Simpson and Castro were 6-18 in the interior with 14 points and had 12 rebounds between them. SD center had 20 points and SIXTEEN REBOUNDS by himself. I've sat back and heard many of you claim that we have solid NCAA tournament quality interior play from these two for a long time. They ain't even close. Until SMU recruits talented interior players who are NCAA Tourney quality they ain't going anywhere. And they also ain't going anywhere until the playing field is leveled and the Head Coach is allowed to spice a talented lineup with 1-2 JUCOs per year to add maturity and plug holes in the lineup like is routinly the practice in the universe of the rest of College Basketball.

<small>[ 11-29-2003, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: Stallion ]</small>
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby OldPony » Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:05 pm

Simpson played only 19 minutes. Foul touble. Simpson is a player stallion, and you know it.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby OldPony » Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:08 pm

Oops- 29 minutes. Bad shooting though with 4-13. He is a player though. You would love him if he were a JC transfer.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Johnny Rock » Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:39 pm

Old Pony, are you related to Dement? You always defend him despite his horrible record against average to above-average teams. I have been calling for a coaching change for several seasons now. Maybe this season will finally be Dement's last on the Hilltop. With or without Hopkins, SMU should have beat San Diego by a large margin. SMU's system is flawed and we do not belong in Division 1-A unless we are able to compete on a level playing field with the rest of the Division 1-A schools. Dement's window of opportunity left when he failed to get the Sasser lead group into the NCAA tournament. Aside from soccer, there is not much to cheer about at SMU. We are definately on a downward spiral. SMU has not sunk this low in a decade. Changes must be made and they must be made now. If changes are not made, more and more fans will jump ship and quit supporting the athletic department and attendance will continue to drop. Can you say Division II?
Johnny Rock

Postby OldPony » Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:16 pm

It amazes me that you want to fire every coach. Dement has the same problem the FB coaches do. Expect mediocrity until changes are made. Dement is a good coach.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:21 pm

Just logged in from out of town to see the score. Very dissappointing to say the least. With or w/out Bhop, we should have won this game...no excuses. I really don't like the excuse of "they were in the tourney last year"...they got blown out this year by mediocre teams. SD - 7-12 3 pters in the 2nd half - 58/% ..Def allowed 48 pts in the 2nd half...terrible.

Sorry folks, we are getting scorched against TT if we don't have Hop back.

<small>[ 11-29-2003, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: Pony_Fan ]</small>
Pony_Fan

Postby Hoop Fan » Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:45 pm

thats really a pitiful loss, with or without BHop. San Diego is a respectable program, but they were really bad early in this season. I thought SMU was going to be tougher after seeing the EA exhibition effort, although I knew better than to put too much stock into that. Its early, way to early to get down, but a program like SMU can't afford bad losses like last night and still have hopes of postseason consideration later on.
Hoop Fan

Next

Return to Basketball