PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ponies Win!!!!!!!!!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Ponies Win!!!!!!!!!

Postby GallopingGuy » Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:49 am

The best thing about tonight's game, in my opinion, was that we won a big game--a close big game--when it would have been really easy for the guys to fold up.

Here's what I'm talking about, and if you were at the game, you'll remember this: there was a point in the game when Tech was working their way back into it, and they hit a dunk (I think it was on an alley-oop, but I'm not positive) to pull ahead by one for the first time since very early in the game. It might have been for the first time in the whole game, actually, I don't remember exactly... point is, they'd been down for a long, long time, and they were on top again.

The Tech crowd went absolutely nuts, and sadly, that was the loudest Moody got all night, in terms of cheering--the SMU fans were pretty darned good tonight, but the majority of that crowd was made up of Techers. And I'll admit, I got a sinking feeling at that point. I'd seen us play well against good teams before, but there was always a moment where our momentum died and we never came back, and I was pretty sure this was going to be another one of those moments.

But the guys fought hard to get those points back, to regain the lead, and to stay on top. They earned that win with a lot of sweat and a lot of guts, and a chemistry I haven't seen from them in my four years here. I'm excited to see what they're going to do this year.
"...and right to the end we'll stand..."
GallopingGuy
Recruit

Postby FloridaMustang » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:32 am

Tech is wildly overrated this year, but still a great win for SMU!
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Nacho » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:56 am

I don't know how a team that made it to the finals of the prerseason NIT is wildly overrated. SMU was the better team. We finally have an inside-outside game. The 2-3 zone worked. TT cannot hit the 3 which saved us.

The football team beat me down so bad this year I don't know how to react to a win. With every fiber in my body I knew we were going to find a way to lose that game, even when we were up by 12. Up by 5 at the half that sinking feeling set in. When they got the lead it was all but certain. We have lost so many close, important games over the years. Nice to get a quality win.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OldPony » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:35 am

This was a good win but not a great one. TT may have gotten to the preseason NIT finals but they were destroyed by GT who shot well from outside. TT is not a good outside shooting team and Dement forced them to shoot 3's all night. Our guys played hard but some TO's really bothered me in critical times. BHop had a good shooting night but must raise his assist levels. Good defense by BHop also and that is where we missed him the most against SD.
Simpson and Castro played solid games and Isham had some big plays. I also like what I'm seeing from Lowe and a couple of the younger guys.
OP got so excited that he knocked his drink over on his keyboard and has been incommunicado until the thing dried out.
Very good win but we need to continue the intensity while improving TOs to assists ratio. The D really stepped up big in the last 4 minutes when we couldn't get the ball up court and couldn't make a shot.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Waz » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:00 am

Finally! A big win over a quality team. Something to build on and grow with. Go Ponies.
Waz
Junior Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:32 am

How can you say that Tech is wildly overrated??? They were only ranked #25 and have now dropped out of the top 25. Dont let that loss to Georgia Tech fool you because GT may be the most underrated team in the country, even at #13. As for Tech, Emmett is one of the best players in college basketball. Jackson, Dora, and Giles are very solid, but each played a poor game against us. Tech probably should be ranked around the 20 to 30 range and they are certainly a tournament team.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby gostangs » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:00 am

Not knocking Castro - my comment on the paint thing was it looked like if we went up on some of those layoups a little harder he would get the foul plus the roll in - he was just getting the foul. If he can convert and then drop his free throws - that game never even gets close.
Easier said then done I know, and I should add he seems to be improving every game and is fun to watch.
gostangs

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:04 am

Georgia Tech beat #1 Uconn too, convincingly. Its not like GT beat TT and a bunch of spares. Andre Emmitt is a phenomenal player. He is the B12 preseason POY for a reason. It was a great win for SMU. Its not the best win in our history or anything, but pretty damn good at this point in time.
Hoop Fan

Postby OldPony » Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:48 pm

GT is a very good team and was underrated going into the season. TT is not a very good team although Emmet is outstanding. Tech has no height and is trying to play defense the way we have had to play in the past ie protect the middle but it opens the jumpers up. I will be surprised if Tech makes the NCAA. OU, KU, MU, UT. OSU are all better for sure. That means TT must beat the others to have a chance to dance assuming that no more than 6 from the Big 12 get to go. I haven't seen the rest play yet but TT is not impressive. GT and SMU showed their weaknesses. The sports pols love Knight so they have a chance. Last night, Dement was the better coach. He gambled early to spell his starters and it worked. He forced TT to shoot from outside and they couldn't make'em. His defense continually took TT out of rhythm and came up with big steals in the critical times.
Wake will be much more balanced and will be a tough test for the Mustangs. If we play Wake tough, I'll get more excited. To do that will require a much better performance than we had last night especially with regard to TOs at bad times and finding the open man on drives to the basket. I loved the win but let's not go overboard yet. Remeber, SD too. I said it wasn't as bad of a loss as most of you thought since we didn't have BHop. BHop's performance is critical and he must keep improving for us to dance. The WAC has some good teams and I think we are one of them. I was impressed by how well the depth was used last night and how the guys responded. This could be a big help in the last half of the season.
OldPony
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball