PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ponies Win!!!!!!!!!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Ponies Win!!!!!!!!!

Postby D » Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:55 pm

Win by 3. Held on and finished out a game. Way to go stangs!!!!!!!!!!
D
Varsity

Re: Ponies Win!!!!!!!!!

Postby D » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:01 pm

Top 25 win....can't remember the last time we beat a top 25 team. Hopkins had a great game with 19 points and a great night from 3. Pat and Castro really seemed to play well together. I think Castro was the leader in the assist department. Simpson had 11 pts and Castro had 10.
D
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:13 pm

If Castro can learn how to finish in the paint - this team can really achieve!!
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby D » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:22 pm

I agree although I have a tough time visualizing what is happening with him around the basket because they call every shot he takes a layup. Obviously some of these layups are short jumpers, hooks or fall-aways.
Great game by the two of them though. If we can get two big men averaging double figures, that will help open a lot of things up for some more wins in the future.
We need to take care of business with Baylor. Hopefully the Tech win will give us some confidence and help us through this tough non-conference schedule.
D
Varsity

Postby Cheesesteak » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:27 pm

Solid win for SMU and possibly the first of a few quality wins this season.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby KnuckleStang » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:33 pm

This really is a huge win, the kind that can really COUNT come tournament time. I, too, cannot remember the last time we played a big game and actually won it. I am very proud of how our boys didn't freak out and find a way to lose a big game (like in the past). Congrats to Dement. His first win over a ranked team!!!

The visual picture of The General "stalking" to the visitor's locker room after the game sends chillbumps up my [deleted]. I love it! I only wish I had been there to see it.

Go Ponies! Beat Baylor

<small>[ 12-01-2003, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: KnuckleStang ]</small>
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:47 pm

was there - it was priceless - credit our students - who packed in and actually stood and cheered hard almost the entire game - If they can care enough to show up after rush that would be nice.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby D » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:55 pm

just found on smumustangs.com that our last win over a ranked opponent was...
70-60 vs. [25] Houston (1/30/93)

Nice to get over that hump. Hopefully it won't take ten more years to get the next one.
D
Varsity

Postby Cheesesteak » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:05 pm

With games against every school (except TCU) that defeated the Mustangs in football this season, something tells me that the SMU Men's BB Team is going to reduce some of the pain SMU fans are currently feeling.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby KnuckleStang » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:10 pm

I think Pony_Fan is right (in the other thread). Tech did drop out of the top 25 today with their loss to GT, so they were not technically ranked at gametime.

But they were still #25 this morning, before the polls came out, so that's what I'm goin by! :laugh:

<small>[ 12-01-2003, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: KnuckleStang ]</small>
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby D » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:14 pm

The press guide from the game shows them as ranked 25th going into the game, so I think that is what we should go by too. Also, ESPN still has them listed as 25th which was nice because they had the gamecast going to supplement the radio. Still not sure why updates to a gamecast can be a minute ahead of a radio broadcast. Guess I should go back and re-take MET and learn how this streaming thing works.
D
Varsity

Postby KnuckleStang » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:21 pm

I noticed the same thing during the frog game Saturday, when I saw SMU score on the ESPN "Bottom Line" ticker well before it happened on the radio. The stream was about a minute, maybe a minute and a half, behind the actual game. Kinda wierd, huh? Oh well, we out of towners take what we can get.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby RGVPonyfan » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:27 pm

With regard to an earlier post...i.e. the bball team is avenging losses suffered by the footballers...I agree, and hell if UT-Pan Am had a football team, I'm sure we would've lost to them too.
RGVPonyfan

Postby Diehard Pony » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:44 pm

It's been so long since we had such a satisfying win, it was euphoric when it actually occurred. One ref tried to make it not happen with some horrible calls that had a big impact on the game, which made the win all the sweeter.

As to an earlier poster's comment about Castro's inability to convert in the paint, they were layups, and he couldn't buy a basket for a long time. But to his credit, he hit some crucial baskets in the paint in the final minutes.

The atmosphere was electric, which as all of you know, has been a rarity for us. Let's hope that this win brings many more fans out to see the deepest, and perhaps the most talented basketball team we have had in the Dement era.

Finally, I had a great shot of Knight as he left the floor at the end of the game, and I have to repeat that the sight was priceless.

Great job Ponies! Let's build on it.

P.S. Isham is dramatically improved as a basketball player.

<small>[ 12-01-2003, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: Diehard Pony ]</small>
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby WildHorse » Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:36 am

Simpson and Castro didn't score a ton of points, but they were very active around the basket (Simpson had 9 rebounds, Castro and Isham had six each). But more than they're scoring, they passed MUCH better than last year. They are developing real chemistry, the kind you build after playing with someone for a couple of years. Not sure I get the complaints about Castro's finishing - he made a few really tough buckets in the lane.

KnuckleStang brought up a few good points:
1. This win could count at tournament time.... That's true, but we need several more of them, because that San Diego loss will hurt.
2. Ditto on the congrats to Coach Dement. He sometimes takes some real heat (deserved or not) and this is big.
3. The General: I was in the concourse at the end of halftime when they roped off traffic so Tech could come out of the locker room to return to the floor. Some Techies cheered, some folks took pictures .... and one guy in front of me said (about 18 inches from Knight's face) "Hey Coach, you left your purse in there (the locker room.)" Knight didn't say anything, but he shot that guy a look that made my blood run cold. People backed away from a LOOK!

The atmosphere was awesome. I wish the football team and basketball teams had recruits there tonight to see the storming of the court and the celebration.

Coach Knight looked like he wanted to strangle someone.

Way to go, Ponies!
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Next

Return to Basketball