PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

oh yea

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

oh yea

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:09 am

Hopkins came up huge tonight. Showed what kind of kid he is with all the adversity of last week. He still isn't the same physically, you could tell on the breakaway chance he had, but he was focused and determined. I hope his girlfriend was in the stands. Loved the 2-3 zone, and the scarcity of the 1-3-1. Everybody who played contributed positive minutes including Rack and Pearson with big shots early. Great win. But lets not get too carried away. Its early and there are mine fields ahead. But this is a win I thought SMU could get if it played strong. Its all about quality wins and building confidence. Wake is talented, but I think it sets up well for us. It will be after finals, they wont have many fans here and they wont be too hyped for the game you wouldnt think. Its a longshot, but our chances are better than a good Big 12 school coming in with their boatload of Dallas alums. I'm not counting on a win at Baylor, I just think the measuring stick for this season should be quality wins, not necessarily number of total wins. That comes next year.

<small>[ 12-01-2003, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: Hoop Fan ]</small>
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: oh yea

Postby WildHorse » Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:16 am

Interesting view. I didn't think we had much of a chance tonight, but I AM counting on a win against Baylor. (Hope I'm right on that one, after being way off tonight.) And you're right - Wake will be very tough.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby OldPony » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:39 am

We should beat Baylor.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby methodistmustang » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:12 am

Originally posted by OldPony:
We should beat Baylor.
Not only should we beat baylor, but anything under 18 wins for the season will be a disapointment. This team looks good enough to win the WAC with Fresno struggling and Hawaii only good at home. Rice is going to be our biggest challenge in conference and they are waaaaaaaayyyyyy overrated. They once again play a nobody OOC schedule and somehow get picked over us to win the WAC on ESPN. That's pathetic. I'm glad our programs don't put sugar on our schedules. It's pathetic that they have to do that to get wins. I'd like to see Rice beat Tech...yea right!
SMU-THE University of Texas
methodistmustang
Scout Team

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:17 am

Ahem...Tulsa/Nevada? Please don't get ahead of yourselves..this was a nice win but to talk about winning the WAC now is crazy. We all know the history of our road wins (see San Jose State loses all those years) and this is a road game season.

<small>[ 12-02-2003, 06:19 AM: Message edited by: Pony_Fan ]</small>
Pony_Fan

Postby bhop » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:51 am

First of all, I have watched enough SMU basketball over the past 10 years to know that one should NEVER "count on" SMU winning a game. We will be playing Baylor on their court only 48 hours after a physically and emotionally draining game against Tech. If our boys come out with dead legs, we could very well lose.

That being said, I was at the game last night and can't remember a time in the last 10 years where I have walked out of Moody feeling that good. Even when we beat Tech in 1997, it wasn't the same as knocking off the General. I couldn't stop smiling the whole way home and my wife (also an SMU grad) was very amused at my demeanor.

BHop is a remarkable talent. He had number 32 for Tech on his heels all night. He is still making the transition to the college game though. I think BHop still has the high school mentality that he can do whatever he wants, whenever he wants. Even with his talent, that doesn't happen in D-1A college basketball. He took some ill-advised shots in the second half and had some bad turnovers. He is learning though, and will be the best player to come through SMU since I don't know when.

I was also impressed with both Pearson and Bennett. They are both excellent players and will definitely contribute for this team in the coming years.

Before the UT-Pan Am game, I heard Dement say that this team wasn't yet mature enough to keep leads and put people away. After last night's game, I see what he means. We have a lot of talent, but there is still a ways to go. The improvement is apparent, however. In the past, we got up big, blew leads, and then lost. I especially remember the Tulsa game in 2000, when Willie D. dribbled the ball off his knee instead of holding it. Over the past two years, however, the trend has been to get up big, blow the lead, and then pull it out in cardiac fashion at the end. That is progress. Next stop is getting up big, and then putting the opponent away. I am hopeful that by the end of the season, that's where we'll be.

<small>[ 12-02-2003, 06:56 AM: Message edited by: bhop ]</small>
bhop
Scout Team

Postby FloridaMustang » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:21 am

lets take this season one game at a time... we know better :)
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:24 am

Of course SMU will be favored over Baylor, but all I was saying is that I am not taking it for granted. Its a road game, two days after a huge win. That has letdown written all over it. Baylor is depleted, but their starting lineup is not as bad as people assume.
Hoop Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:42 am

Rice is going to be our biggest challenge in conference and they are waaaaaaaayyyyyy overrated.
Are you kidding? Rice IS a solid team but Nevada, Fresno, and Tulsa are much more talented, IMO.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Spaz » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:48 pm

Yeah, I've been here 4 years, and I've never seen anyone rush the court. Most students leave early to go get their drink on.
Honestly one of the top 3 SMU games I've ever seen.

The other two, you ask?
1) Our trouncing of TCU last year
And the other, I can't remember what game it was, but in the last second Castro got a 3 to tie it up and we ended up winning. Someone told me this WAS the TCU game, but I'm not sure. Shortly after that I left for a semester in Australia and drank myself [deleted]....Any help here? It was last year.

The Spaz
WHERE'S MY KETCHUP?!?!?!
Spaz
Varsity

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:26 pm

Spaz, it was San Diego. We won in OT.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby Spaz » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:30 pm

OH YEAH!
That game rocked! Honestly, Castro's shot at the end was the coolest thing I've seen! It was also cool cuz it was my first game flying solo on Bass Guitar!

So there they are, my top three, no particular order

1) SMU Beats TT
2) SMU Beats the Horny Toads
3) SMU beats San Diego in over time!

WOO!
WHERE'S MY KETCHUP?!?!?!
Spaz
Varsity

Return to Basketball