PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ineligible Aggie....

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Ineligible Aggie....

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:10 am

Aggies point guard J.J. Caldwell ruled ineligible for 2016-17 season
Sep 16, 2016
Jeff Goodman
ESPN Insider

Texas A&M freshman point guard J.J. Caldwell, who was set to compete for the starting spot, has been ruled ineligible for the 2016-17 season.

Aggies coach Billy Kennedy said Caldwell was "denied eligibility to compete this season by the NCAA." Caldwell will remain enrolled at the school, and Kennedy said he will be eligible to compete next season.

"I am disappointed for J.J. and his family on this ruling," Kennedy said in a prepared statement. "However, I'm thankful that he is part of our program and able to further his education."

Caldwell was the No. 89-ranked recruit in the 2016 ESPN 100. He was home-schooled last year, and sources told ESPN his home-schooling was the reason the NCAA deemed him ineligible.

Caldwell was set to compete with Lipscomb grad transfer J.C. Hampton and sophomore guard Admon Gilder for the starting spot.

The Aggies lost three of their top four scorers from a team that won 28 games last season. However, Kennedy still returns plenty of talent in a heralded sophomore class that includes big man Tyler Davis and guards D.J. Hogg and Gilder.

However, losing Caldwell, considered one of the top passers in the country, will hurt Texas A&M's chances to get back to the NCAA tournament.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Ineligible Aggie....

Postby deucetz » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:19 pm

I feel bad for the kid, but not for A&M after the pulled off that heist 2 years ago.
deucetz
All-American

Return to Basketball