PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

disappointed by the attendance

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

disappointed by the attendance

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:04 am

only 6200 showed for one of the best home games of the year, even though it was on a Monday night after the Thanksgiving weekend. I was afraid SMU had priced the tickets to this one too high.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: disappointed by the attendance

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:48 am

Yes, very stupid - I don't get it. Plus, you had TCU/Kansas in town and I think Tech has another Dallas game here soon.
Pony_Fan

Postby ponyboy » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:51 am

No doubt ticket prices turned some off, but to me the biggest killer on the attendance was the fact that the game was all but ignored by the DMN. I didn't even remember we HAD a game myself until a half hour before tip off. The lack of coverage is just plain wrong. Top 25 team in town, coached by Bob Knight and we get what amounts to a blurb. What are we late on our dues or something?
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy

Postby couch 'em » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:52 am

No campus advertisement whatsoever either. (what else is new) If I wasn't in the band, I wouldn't even know there was a game.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby PlanoStang » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:55 am

I wanted to go but $30 baseline tickets just seemed a little out of line for a SMU basketball game. Guess I told Copeland what I thought about it with my feet, and at least 3800 other people did too. Place should've been sold out!
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:05 am

Funny thing is, you could have bought a $25 seat and moved over. The Wake game is $37 baseline and I imagine it won't sell that well either.
Pony_Fan

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:30 am

In this case, I like the move. SMU gets close to the same total revenue, without turning over the home court advantage to Tech. Believe me, another 2,000 Red Raider fans and we don't win that game last night. We might have priced out a few Mustang fans and a few general basketball fans in the process, but it was worth it not to be drown out in our building. I don't know if the athletic department did this purposely or just stumbled into it. Now for the Wake Forest game, all tickets should be $10 because we dont have to worry about them taking over our arena.
Hoop Fan

Postby Stampede » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:43 am

The ANSWER:

If you buy season tickets in football, you can buy season tickets for basketball for HALF PRICE!!! Get your season tickets and go to allthe games ....the best deal in town!!!
SMU...2nd to None
Stampede
All-American

Postby Uncle Morty » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:45 am

Originally posted by Stampede:
The ANSWER:

If you buy season tickets in football, you can buy season tickets for basketball for HALF PRICE!!! Get your season tickets and go to allthe games ....the best deal in town!!!
Then why did they charge me full price for mine? When did this start?
Uncle Morty
Scout Team

Postby TheGing » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:55 am

I agree with Stampede - got four season tickets at half price. If I go to the Wake Forest game after going to the game last night, I think they are already paid for... sweet deal. I hope they keep it up.
TheGing

Postby KnuckleStang » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:57 am

Just to spread a little more sunshine on the subject...Someone reported in another post that student attendance was better than average. Overall attendance, while not a sellout, was obviously WAY better than average. Ponies of years gone by would have folded. These did not. A large crowd got to leave Moody feeling good, for a change, instead of having their guts ripped out once again. If you're going to gouge tickets, it's nice to produce an exciting upset feel-good win over a quality opponent, and we did that. I still can't believe it. In short, we stepped up and won in exciting fashion with a lot of people watching, and you can't put a price on that. Lose at $45 a pop, now that's a disaster. With some continued momentum with a win over Baylor, we could see an attendance bump over the short term, from both students and walkups. We gotta capitalize by beating the Bears, and at least giving the Deacs a game, to keep the mo positive. We haven't seen a "quality" win of this kind in about a decade, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby DiamondM » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:22 pm

FYI: The half price deal was for any NEW season tickets purchased. So if you were not a basketball season ticket holder before this year, and did have football season tickets (or I guess if you added additional tickets to your usual basketball season ticket purchase) you got them at half price.

Yeah, us loyal basketball fans kind of get screwed, but we were already buying tickets anyway, so I understand the logic of trying to sweeten the pot for new revenue and new butts in seats.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Spaz » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:53 pm

Originally posted by couch 'em:
No campus advertisement whatsoever either. (what else is new) If I wasn't in the band, I wouldn't even know there was a game.
This is very true, crotch_em. I was talking to lots of guys that were going "Tech's here tonight?"

THey need to work on on-campus advertising.
WHERE'S MY KETCHUP?!?!?!
Spaz
Varsity

Postby Nacho » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:23 pm

Got in for $4 and found a dollar under my seat. I'm almost making money going to SMU basketball.
Nacho

Postby gostangs » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:45 pm

Hey - was that dollar kind of greenish? If so it is mine - thanks for grabbing it for me - now give it back.
gostangs

Next

Return to Basketball