PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Thoughts

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:59 am

Great game and great win. We needed that!!

First, my only complaint, what in the hell is up with Dement pulling all five starters off the court early on???? They were up by 8 or so and playing very well. Luckily the reserves were able to make few shots and keep the momentum going. Otherwise, I thought Dement coached a pretty good game. the 2-3 zone in the second half was big.

Hop played like an all-american in the first half. The only thing missing was one of his thunderous dunks he became famous for in HS. After a shaky start Castro had a few big plays in the second half. Lowe, Rack, and Simpson all stepped up when they were needed.

The charging call against Lowe late in the game was terrible. It was a 5 point swing and almost cost us the game.

Free throw shooting has to improve.

Now, let's go get Baylor and head into finals with a 3-1 record.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Thoughts

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:03 am

LA - good pts. I was asking my friend the same thing. We were on a roll and why take away that momentum. Atkins at the point doesn't work - he is TO prone.

As for the foul, that was the most ridiculous thing I have seen. There was another against Castro or Hopkins who were completely planted to force a charge and it was not called. Lots of bad calls against us which could have changed the game. No home cookin' last night except maybe the free throw line but Tech just seemed timid to drive the lane.
Pony_Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:07 am

PF,
I attribute the no home cooking to Knight. He sends fear into the officials.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby The PonyGrad » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:28 am

Originally posted by LA_Mustang:
First, my only complaint, what in the hell is up with Dement pulling all five starters off the court early on????
Seems to me we got a lot of complaining in the past for not giving the starters a break and dying in the end of the game. Well Dement had faith in the chemistry of the second five and he was proven right.

If you are going to second guess at least second guess something that goes wrong! :no:
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby DiamondM » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:14 pm

I thought the first 12-16 minutes of the game was the best basketball I've seen an SMU team play. They passed the ball, they could shoot the ball, they got it inside to Simpson, they scored on the perimeter, they played tough tough defense. Then I think through a combination of Tech waking up and us letting down a bit, Tech clawed back in. It was so nice to see us not crater when the going got tough.

BTW, It was Hopkins who took what was obviously a charge but was called a block. He just about pitched a tent waiting for the offensive player to run him over. That and the Lowe charge at the other end were two of the worst calls all night.

I think that these are two very similar teams -- athletic with shakey 3 point shooting with ours a bit better last night (a lot better in the first half). Our defense really did a good job -- even on Emmett who still scored 28 points, but was Tech's only option.

Places to improve:

1. Free throw shooting, obviously.
2. Miller still can't find the side of a barn in game situations, and should not have been guarding Emmett at any time.
3. Coming back to the ball on in bounds plays and traps -- especially late in the game with a lead.
4. Castro needs to stop putting the ball on the floor when he gets it down low. Just take the ball off the entry pass up strong to the basket. Too much finesse and not enough force.
5. Hopkins still tries to do to much on some drives to the basket. He had some nearly spectacular plays that resulted in turnovers and huge poster-worthy blocks that could have been easy baskets for us if he had passed to one of several open Mustangs.

I hope this team can use this for some confidence and momemtum building. Dare we hope for an upset on Dec. 15?
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Spaz » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:44 pm

WHAT WAS UP WITH ALL THE FREAKIN' 3's? JEEZ! I hope this is a new Mustang tradition! It was INSANE at the beginning of the game, and I really think that's what won it for us....
WHERE'S MY KETCHUP?!?!?!
Spaz
Varsity

Postby 78pony » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:38 pm

Possibly an experiment that we have not had the luxury to attempt in a while. Being able to spell ALL 5 starters at once. The 2nd 5 did a great job. If I remember correctly, they outscored Tt by one during their first entry. Coleman Crawford (Asst Coach) had mentioned to me at the Happy Hour that this was a possibility. I think it is great that they got the time, as a unit, and performed well when the game was early and on the line.
78pony
Heisman

Return to Basketball