PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Wake Forest.

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Wake Forest.

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:50 pm

Smoking Indiana 81-47 - looking damn good.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Wake Forest.

Postby Higher Authority » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:08 am

Someone wrote in another thread that our game against Wake stacks up well for an upset. If the person who wrote that saw tonight's Wake-Indiana game, they might re-think that stance. I don't think it's going out on much of a limb to suggest Wake is the best team we'll face this year -- maybe by a wide margin. They looked awesome tonight.
"Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in .... next to soccer."
— "Loki" in the movie Dogma
Higher Authority
All-American

Postby bhop » Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:58 am

Let me tell you a little somethin' about Wake Forest. They are balanced and deep with bona-fide ACC caliber talent. When you look at their stats, I think they have something like 4 or 5 guys averaging double figures. And then another 2 or 3 who average between 6-9 ppg. (don't quote me on that. I'm going by memory). If we beat Wake Forest, then I'll be leaving Moody on a stretcher.
bhop
Scout Team

Postby 93Mustang » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:12 pm

Agreed. I went to both schools and watch both teams play a lot. SMU had a huge win over Tech. Monday and this team appears to be a lot like the 1992-93 that had no superstars, just a bunch of good, solid players who fit together as a team. I think this SMU team will have a great season and will compete for the WAC championship. That said, Wake is awesome and competes at a substantially higher level than we ever will. They start two McDonald's all-americans, their freshman point guard is among the best true point guards in the country, they have three 6'9 guys in the rotation who will dominate inside against us, and they have three guards who can shoot the three. It will be a long night for SMU, but it will be a great experience for the team and will provide them with great experience heading into conference play. We should also get some media exposure too since Wake will be close to the top 10 (they're at 16 and 18 right now) by the time this game tips off.
93Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:12 pm

well, obviously doing what they did to Indiana changes the outlook some. Having said that, Indiana looked slow and pretty weak, nothing like Illinois or North Carolina talent in the next game last night. The road is a huge factor. Wake was at home. All I said was that it set up about as favorably as it could for SMU against Wake. Long road trip, after finals, and I'd be surprised if they are real up for a game at SMU after what they did to us last year. They were up for Indiana. Add it up and they could easily come out extremely flat in Dallas. If we shoot and play well and they are so talented that they blow us out anyway, then I guess they oughta book their reservations to San Antonio now.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Duke Blue Blood » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:57 pm

Final was 100-67. Ouch
Duke Blue Blood
Heisman

Return to Basketball