PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

FWIW

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: FWIW

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:37 pm

CP,
You're right that Semi still has to prove it in game action but the guy has a combination of size, athleticism and offensive skill we haven't seen from an SMU player in a longtime. SMU fans will be really surprised by how talented he is. Plus, he is great guy, very smart and he is ready to show what he can do.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RI Stang » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:20 pm

To me, Gu and Jarrey are huge factors and unknowns. If we get the Va Tech Gu, and not the one we have seen here (pre-injury, if there truly was a pre-injury Gu at SMU), that's an enormous boost and adds a huge weapon on the perimeter, not to mention defensively.

And I for one and am excited to see what kind of jump is in store for Jarrey. Due to our depth issues last year, he played WAY more than expected (or at least than I expected), which will only benefit us this year. Plus from what I've seen this Summer, he has been working hard and looks jacked. Could be quite the weapon off the bench.

Agree there are a lot of what ifs and "hopefully" with this team, but the upside is definitely there to blow away the preseason predictions.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby ECMustang » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:26 pm

I'm really looking forward to three things:

1) Getting my tickets in the mail

2) First tip in Moody

3) Seven Nation Army Chants
ECMustang
Scout Team

Postby JasonB » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:24 pm

Here is the way I look at this year's team: I have no idea if the frosh are good, and the interior size isn't ideal.

But, we have 4 players that will end up in the NBA (Ben, Sterling, Shake, and Semi), and 2 more that would start for almost every other team in the league (Gu and Foster). Our fast break is going to be ridiculous, and the perimeter length will force turnovers. We are top 25, but I have no idea if we are in the top half or the bottom half.
JasonB

Postby ojaipony » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:29 pm

Uh, MK was the alpha dog in the locker room his sophomore and junior years here. Hands down, no doubt whatsoever. A bit muted his senior year, but had his moments then too. Leadership and toughness cannot be replaced. Unbelievable skill and will to win. I see us probably about 4th-5th in AAC and NIT bound. Would really like to see us land a top 100 type recruit or 2 in this next class but not sure if we are even in on any of that caliber right now.
ojaipony

Postby Stallion » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:42 pm

I'm not worried about Jarrey Foster-he showed some pretty good athleticism considering his injury layoff. He made some plays that really turned my head last year. He even showed some ability to play forward when he needed to-and his versatility just might save our [deleted] this year if one of our 3 big men get in foul trouble. He had 3.4 rebounds a game in about 16 minutes per game. He does a lot of things without the ball
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:51 pm

Remember, Jarrey wouldve been a top 100, boarderline 4-star recruit if not for the knee injuty.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:33 am

w/a new crop of kids and different system, always hard to predict. We'll miss Nic's ability to hit big shots when needed, though I disagree wholeheartedly that MK gave much, if any, leadership to the teams. He was either out of shape, injured, or ineligible. Hardly the alpha dog in the locker room, just a guy everyone behind the scenes, knew didn't work very hard.

Shake, Gu, Sterling, Semi and Ben is filthy. I expect Sterling in particular to be our heart and soul, much like he's been for years now. The kid is an alpha competitor. Bringing a healthy Jarrey, fro, aussie Tom and dashawn off the bench is very solid. All those kids are skilled and w/real court smarts.

We shoot the ball much better this year, have team length, and a considerably better defensively, w the return of Gu and moving Shake to point. being very real, Nic was a beast, but he was a defensive liability.

We'll make the tourney, just a bunch of weapons
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby TidePony » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:20 am

Yes! Yes! Yes!
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:33 am

Nice to see Ojai is already in his mid season freaked out negativity. I do not feel comfortable until his sky is falling.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby shadowman » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:40 am

One of the magazines, I believe the Texas version of Lindy's, has an inset picture of Ben Moore on the cover. Not as big as in the past, but still nice to have an SMU guy on the cover of one of these 3 years in a row after not happening for 20 years.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:49 am

mrydel wrote:Nice to see Ojai is already in his mid season freaked out negativity. I do not feel comfortable until his sky is falling.

:lol: "We're not happy until you're not happy."
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Puckhead48E » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:46 am

hoopmanx wrote:w/a new crop of kids and different system, always hard to predict. We'll miss Nic's ability to hit big shots when needed, though I disagree wholeheartedly that MK gave much, if any, leadership to the teams. He was either out of shape, injured, or ineligible. Hardly the alpha dog in the locker room, just a guy everyone behind the scenes, knew didn't work very hard.

Shake, Gu, Sterling, Semi and Ben is filthy. I expect Sterling in particular to be our heart and soul, much like he's been for years now. The kid is an alpha competitor. Bringing a healthy Jarrey, fro, aussie Tom and dashawn off the bench is very solid. All those kids are skilled and w/real court smarts.

We shoot the ball much better this year, have team length, and a considerably better defensively, w the return of Gu and moving Shake to point. being very real, Nic was a beast, but he was a defensive liability.

Got my Hoop fix and he was positive, so I'm excited.

#Janklander

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:34 am

hoopmanx wrote:w/a new crop of kids and different system, always hard to predict. We'll miss Nic's ability to hit big shots when needed, though I disagree wholeheartedly that MK gave much, if any, leadership to the teams. He was either out of shape, injured, or ineligible. Hardly the alpha dog in the locker room, just a guy everyone behind the scenes, knew didn't work very hard.

Speaking of the new system - can't tell you how much I loved the blended more fast-paced LB TJ offense that we saw in the first few games of last year under Jank- we just ran teams out of the building (including some eventual tournament teams).
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:43 am

That always frustrated me a little. LB sought out long, fast athletic types and then walked it up much of the time. The starting five Hoop mentions (and I've hoped all along would be the starting five) pretty much fits LB's stated desire for five long 6'7" guys. This is pretty darn close.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball