PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

FWIW

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: FWIW

Postby ojaipony » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:50 pm

Much respect to hoopman, and he's forgotten more basketball than I'll ever know. Seriously. However, I'm just not as rosy quite yet. We will agree to disagree on Markus. Hope he's right, and I'm wrong. I think we'll be good, but not tourney good.
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Harry0569 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:17 pm

If we roll out a lineup featuring Shake, GU, Sterling, Semi and Ben, we can switch EVERY SINGLE BALL SCREEN, which should pose problems for the majority of our opponents. IF we can protect the rim and gang rebound, hoo boy look out.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:43 pm

Exactly Harry. We can switch at will and never have a mismatch, in theory
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony94 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:45 pm

ojaipony wrote:Much respect to hoopman, and he's forgotten more basketball than I'll ever know. Seriously. However, I'm just not as rosy quite yet. We will agree to disagree on Markus. Hope he's right, and I'm wrong. I think we'll be good, but not tourney good.

Markus was given the opportunity to come back and finish - he declined. What a wasted opportunity on his part
smupony94

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:59 pm

hoopmanx wrote:Exactly Harry. We can switch at will and never have a mismatch, in theory

And matchup hell for the teams with slow bigs and/or small guards.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:09 pm

Again, exactly. Beyond that, 5 guys who can drive and get in the lane from their position. That puts so much pressure on the D, and opens up tons of kick opportunities, to guys who can actually shoot.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:26 am

hoopmanx wrote:Again, exactly. Beyond that, 5 guys who can drive and get in the lane from their position. That puts so much pressure on the D, and opens up tons of kick opportunities, to guys who can actually shoot.

and now, under Jank, with a green light to shoot open threes
Charleston Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:17 am

hoopmanx wrote:Again, exactly. Beyond that, 5 guys who can drive and get in the lane from their position. That puts so much pressure on the D, and opens up tons of kick opportunities, to guys who can actually shoot.

I agree. This is what he did at Illinois State and it improved their team well enough to get to the NIT.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby gostangs » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:01 pm

My biggest concern is lack of height. Fooling is dirk ish - not a banger, which leaves basically nobody to bang against the other teams beast. There are teams that will exploit that - we are going to have to play about as fast as anyone can play and just wear the big guys out, cause there isn't anyone to push them around inside.

MK was liked and was a positive emotionally at times on the court, but from what I heard not what you would call a leader.

Can't wait to shake unleash his threes.
gostangs

Postby Balatro Diabolus Ex » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:14 pm

gostangs wrote:My biggest concern is lack of height. Fooling is dirk ish - not a banger, which leaves basically nobody to bang against the other teams beast. There are teams that will exploit that - we are going to have to play about as fast as anyone can play and just wear the big guys out, cause there isn't anyone to push them around inside.

MK was liked and was a positive emotionally at times on the court, but from what I heard not what you would call a leader.

Can't wait to shake unleash his threes.

Don't assume Froling can't bang, he grew up skinny, and has played a lot on the perimeter in international ball, but he's gained more than 30 pounds in the last year, and has made a lot of progress on his play in the paint. I think he wants to be a physical presence inside, and now he has a body that can take up space defensively, and bang to create space on offense.
Balatro Diabolus Ex
All-American

Postby smupony94 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:13 pm

smupony94

Postby Lebanese4Life » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:59 pm

i think Tolbert is a bigger loss than MK. Tolbert was a true banger and rim defender for us. I'd like to think that Ben or Semi can fill that void, but they are more close to 4's.

nic was a liability on defense, but shake is also. Hope he can improve his defensive intensity - it's the only knock on his NBA game at the moment.
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby hoopmanx » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:12 pm

ive looked at our schedule time and again. What 5s are gonna make us pay over their shoulders?
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:48 pm

Not a 5 but Gary Clark worries me. That guy is a load. Averaged 9 boards a game last season. Didn't realize he was the AAC defensive POY last season.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:28 am

hoopmanx wrote:ive looked at our schedule time and again. What 5s are gonna make us pay over their shoulders?

The one we draw in the first round of the tourney.

And yeah...... Clark is for real. Not sure there is an answer for him.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball