PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jank twitter

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jank twitter

Postby Pony Boss » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:32 pm

ericdickerson4life wrote:Just can't win as an SMU fan huh? Just go root for another school. No one here will miss you. And we are doomed so it all seems to point to you exiting stage right for greener pastures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once SMU's program reaches the next level, the negative loser fans will dissipate and more optimist PB-type fans will spring out of the woodwork. See you at Ford for UH.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:56 pm

Pony Boss wrote:My point is we got the big time recruits because of LB. We won big games because of LB. Kids wanted to go to SMU because of LB. LB made SMU relevant. Jank is a relative unknown in the AAC, let alone the national coaching world. I just don't see the staying power to keep relevant and the upward trends as in Football.

Jank needs a good year this year to sell to 2018 recruits. We should be a tourney team this year and then we can ramp up the recruiting again. Don't forget young Sam Froling, harry's bro is c/o 2018 and supposedly the best of all the Froling siblings
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstangs22 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:41 am

We should be a top 25 team. The pieces are there to have a very strong year. I am more interested in what Jank and co can do with the next recruiting class
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Smulaw90 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:39 am

Let us not forget how the team played and looked in the those first 9 games last year. Jank kept things together and there were comments by the players that suggested they enjoyed his style and manner more than LB.

While it is true that LB has name recognition and history, I often wondered whether his age actually worked against us (except for the one-and-dones). Did any recruit last year seriously believe he would last 4 more years? Although he was exceptionally healthy, I never felt quite sure. Would any of you been surprised to wake up and find out he passed in his sleep the night before? It was time.

Besides his age, LB lost me as a real supporter in his last days. All that talk about looking at recruits and their parents and being unable to be honest with them was a bunch of LB gibberish. What about Ben, Sterling, JF, and the others. He told them he would be here for their careers, and he wasn't. Meantime, Jank has stayed and waited, and waited. So he has my full support as does the staff.

There is no reason we shouldn't remain and continue our upward trajectory. Smu has a beautiful campus, solid facilities, located in a prime area and based on what's happened the last 3 years, can and will continue to get national media attention (in academics and athletics).

If Tom Herman can resurrect that hellhole south of here, it can certainly be done at SMU. With Herman, the players go there for "him". Something about his vigor, youth and manner appeals to these young athletes. I think Jank has that going for him too.
Smulaw90
Junior Varsity

Postby mrydel » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:01 am

Wow. Now I am afraid to go to sleep at night.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Harry0569 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:01 am

+1,000,000 Smulaw.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby Pony Boss » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:14 am

Smulaw90 wrote:Let us not forget how the team played and looked in the those first 9 games last year. Jank kept things together and there were comments by the players that suggested they enjoyed his style and manner more than LB.

While it is true that LB has name recognition and history, I often wondered whether his age actually worked against us (except for the one-and-dones). Did any recruit last year seriously believe he would last 4 more years? Although he was exceptionally healthy, I never felt quite sure. Would any of you been surprised to wake up and find out he passed in his sleep the night before? It was time.

Besides his age, LB lost me as a real supporter in his last days. All that talk about looking at recruits and their parents and being unable to be honest with them was a bunch of LB gibberish. What about Ben, Sterling, JF, and the others. He told them he would be here for their careers, and he wasn't. Meantime, Jank has stayed and waited, and waited. So he has my full support as does the staff.

There is no reason we shouldn't remain and continue our upward trajectory. Smu has a beautiful campus, solid facilities, located in a prime area and based on what's happened the last 3 years, can and will continue to get national media attention (in academics and athletics).

If Tom Herman can resurrect that hellhole south of here, it can certainly be done at SMU. With Herman, the players go there for "him". Something about his vigor, youth and manner appeals to these young athletes. I think Jank has that going for him too.

I agree with what you write, and to add to what East Coast said, this year is probably the most important year for the basketball program. Ben, Sterling and Shake may be gone. I hope the Australians and the new kids are as good or better...this team needs to keep the momentum of the previous years and the most important battles will be in the recruiting trail. If Jank has a superb 25+ win year and can keep recruiting well, then we are well on our way.
And some of you that think I dont want SMU basketball to be successful are just plain ridiculous. Pointing out facts and being a realist is not being opposed to the program. SMU needs both programs to be solid.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:24 am

Pony Boss wrote:My point is we got the big time recruits because of LB. We won big games because of LB. Kids wanted to go to SMU because of LB. LB made SMU relevant. Jank is a relative unknown in the AAC, let alone the national coaching world. I just don't see the staying power to keep relevant and the upward trends as in Football.

FYI

Tim Jankovich recruited Nic Moore, the two-time AAC Player of the year, to Illinois State and got him to follow him to SMU. Jankovich is also responsible for Froling and Wilson.

Larry Brown (with Ulrich Maligi) was responsible for Keith Frazier who landed us a post-season ban and many lost scholarships, Markus Kennedy who put our APR in jeopardy, Josiah Turner who never played for us, Ben Emelogu, Semi Ojeleye, Jordan Tolbert, Justin Martin who left mid season without contributing and placing the team in a precarious APR position.

Jerrance Howard was responsible for Sterling Brown and Ben Moore.

I believe KT Turner landed us Milton, McDowell, and Foster.
mustangxc

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:53 am

On paper, Ben/Sterling and Frazier was barely better than Dohs last class or Janks first, so far, on extremely short notice. Everything else was transfers. Brown was a great coach, but giving him credit for recruiting anyone is laughable. To say kids came to SMU exclusively bc of the Brown is mystique is funny too. It's all about staff and we have a really nice group of recruiters right now.

You want real...Jank has pretty much killed it so far. He demoted the right guys, promoted the right guys and hired a local sniper. He's re-prioritized locals and shown love. He's continued massacring the Oklahoma trail and publically pledged to play the same type of tenacious D, rebound, all while at an increased offensive tempo. He's on record as loving the 3 etc.

Meanwhile, in two short months, he has verbals from 3 kids, all of whom can go. We never receuited at a higher level under Brown, just got transfers who left us on thin ice w consistency. Don't get me wrong, love me some Godfather and it was a privilege watching him mold the team on the court, but nothing was sustainable. It is now.

I also find it funny that some find Jank unproven in the AAC or nationally. That's beyond dumb as his trajectory at Ill St was very real. They were neck and neck w Wichita and Creighton his last 3 years, and they would have been tourney bound several times, had he not left. Nic Moore was his PG after all, and had 3 years left. The guy has weaknesses, several of which concerned me when he was anointed HCIW, but he interned under LB for 4 years. Look how the team responded in the first 9 last year. The guy coached circles around LB last year. Not only w his pace, but sub patterns. He actually ate minutes w Wilfong in big games when short-handed. Meanwhile, LB ran our kids into the ground w their excessive minutes.

Honestly, the guy can't do any better than he's done so far. he's making this program sustainable at a high level by making all the right moves.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony Boss » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:30 am

@hoopmanx and if that's the case then hallelujah and amen. I want the program to sustain the success it has had and continue building on it.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby smupony94 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:31 am

@JonRothstein 2m2 minutes ago
SMU's Tim Jankovich has promoted K.T. Turner to Associate Head Coach, per a source. Was an assistant the past three seasons.
smupony94

Postby Pony_Law » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:13 am

Given that we are new success at Basketball and we did have a coach that brought instant legitimacy and gravitas it's understandable that people would be worried about SMU backsliding. That said, SMU did make all the other investments necessary to be a legit basketball power regardless of coaching. I'd put our facilities up against anyone's in the state. We invested heavily in having a deep coaching/recruiting bench.

Jank for his part had 4 20+ win seasons and got Illinois state to the NIT 4 out of his 5 years. He was also part of Bill self's coaching tree from KU so I'm pretty sure he was a coach that was definitely on the radar for P5 opportunities. So far this first class is as solid as any LB pulled. Not to mention I'm pretty sure for these guys we only have to worry about a de-commitment as a result of a poach rather than them not being able to step on campus. Seriously I don't think we landed a single 4 star or higher Recruit other than Shake and Froling (who LB did not recruit) that made it on campus or didn't cause a major issue when here (KF).

This year's team will be a bit undersized but athletic as hell on the perimeter. There is strong senior leadership and there are players that must be extremely hungry to finally play and show what they can do (Semi and Ben E.). That is a receipt for another 20+ win season, competing for a conference regular season and tournament championship, making the NCAA tournament and probably winning the opening game, and going on a special run if you can get the right match ups.

You do that and the next class is solid, you are more likely to be a program with long term sustained success rather than a flash in the plan.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:02 pm

All the points made here regarding LB are valid, the good, the bad and the ugly. LB put us on the map.

It's Jank's ball now and I have every reason to believe he'll keep us there.

I'm actually as positive about the team as I've been at any time in the last.....ummm.....ever.

It's college ball so there will be stumbles along the way. But 20+ win seasons are going to be the rule and the NCAA tourney is going to be a yearly event for awhile.

Thanks LB, for showing us the way and thanks SMU for having the smarts to grab and hold Jank.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PerunasHoof » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:05 pm

Pony Boss wrote:
ericdickerson4life wrote:Just can't win as an SMU fan huh? Just go root for another school. No one here will miss you. And we are doomed so it all seems to point to you exiting stage right for greener pastures.

Once SMU's program reaches the next level, the negative loser fans will dissipate and more optimist PB-type fans will spring out of the woodwork. See you at Ford for UH.

I really hope that you're the only person that is like you.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby smupony94 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:15 pm

PerunasHoof wrote:
Pony Boss wrote:

I really hope that you're the only person that is like you.

I would rather be on a deserted island with footballdad then him
smupony94

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball