PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BU game

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

BU game

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:17 pm

we deserved to lose but didnt. They lit us up from 3 like nearly everyone does. Even Josh Lewin was commenting on it. Said that in 7 of the last 23 games, a player on the opposing team has gone off for 5 or more treys. Thats unheard of. Something is really wrong with our perimeter D. I like our radio guys (I didnt know about the video feed), but they never give you any real details: did we play the 1-3-1? Any man to man?
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: BU game

Postby Diehard Pony » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:47 pm

We played 1-3-1 and 3-2 zone trap (in the second half). Didn't see any man defenses.

My take on the game is that I am very pleased with a win, albeit an ugly one, two days after winning an emotional game against a quality opponent. Good teams find a way to win when they are not playing their best basketball....that's what happened tonight.

Baylor's video (and accompanying audio) feed was excellent quality. Myself and a buddy SMU fan watched it on my 18" monitor and we were both very pleased with the quality of the production. I would pay for this in a NY minute. As I mentioned in another post, I am still hounding the Marketing Department to get it.

Also, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I am surprised that more people did not spring $6.95 for the video presentation. That might work against my argrument with the SMU Marketing people. I'd appreciate knowing why any of you did not want to take the video route. Thanks.

Go Ponies!

<small>[ 12-03-2003, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Diehard Pony ]</small>
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby D » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:00 pm

Mainly didn't pay for it because I didn't get to it until around half time. Would definitely do it if it was offered by the Marketing Dept. $50 for a season is a great deal in my opinion.
D
Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:05 pm

Our perimeter D is a joke. If we would have gone man in the last 5 minutes I would imagine they wouldn't have had open looks from 3 land. We are lucky Tech didn't shoot lights out. We will see Nevada and Fresno light it up this year once again and someone will have a "career" night.

If you are going to scout the Mustangs, all you do is come up with good inside-out plays for open shots as you know what zone we are going to be in.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby KnuckleStang » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:04 pm

Diehard, I sprung for the video, and I was really glad I did. The quality far exceeded my expectations. I wish SMU would get something like this together on a subscription basis, I'd be among the first to sign up for the season (football and basketball).

10 three pointers by the Bears doesn't look too good. But I think they shot 31% (10-32) for the game, which is not exactly getting torched, is it? Point is, though, good teams (like Wake, Okie St. and Purdue, if we play them) will make a much higher percentage of those shots, and absolutely smoke us, if somebody doesn't get a hand in somebody's face.

Also, I liked Hopkins tonight. His shots weren't dropping. Instead of forcing things, he focused a little more on distribution, and had himself a nice 6 assists and 1 TO. Now that's what I'm talkin about!

<small>[ 12-03-2003, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: KnuckleStang ]</small>
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby Diehard Pony » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:49 pm

Thanks for the feedback D and Knuckle. I am trying to get as much as possible to bolster my case with SMU marketing.

To me, it seems like a no-brainer. I would appreciate anybody else's feedback either pro or con.

<small>[ 12-03-2003, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Diehard Pony ]</small>
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:09 am

I think they're concerned with the fanbase.. even a smaller Big 12 team like Baylor has a larger fanbase, especially out of area that would help offset the cost of offering such a service. I would definitely sign up for a subscriptions service of that sort if it were offered.

<small>[ 12-03-2003, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: FloridaMustang ]</small>
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Basketball