PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jon Rothstein: CBB teams that could overachieve in 2016-17

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Jon Rothstein: CBB teams that could overachieve in 2016-17

Postby Harry0569 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:47 am

http://www.todaysu.com/rothstein-files/ ... e-2016-17/

SMU

Larry Brown may no longer be the face of the Mustangs’ program, but that doesn’t mean SMU is going to roll over moving forward.

Tim Jankovich has a pair of all-conference caliber players in Shake Milton and Duke transfer Semi Ojeleye along with several capable role players in Sterling Brown, Ben Moore, and Jarrey Foster.

Versatile wing Ben Emelogu will return after a redshirt year and Jankovich is also counting on contributions from freshmen Dashawn McDowell and Harry Froling.

The Mustangs aren’t as talented as they’ve been the past few years with Nic Moore and Markus Kennedy, but they’re still capable of being the third best team in their league behind both UConn and Cincinnati.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Jon Rothstein: CBB teams that could overachieve in 2016-

Postby 93Mustang » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:41 am

Decent write up. I really like that these guys are being underestimated this season, from Coach Jank to our pair of four year starter warriors, to our new recruits. I expect big things from this team. While we lose Nic, I expect our defense to be even better. My biggest concern is who will play point because I don't think that is the best place for Shake. I will be shocked if we aren't ranked early in the season and I will be very surprised if this isn't a tournament team. Ben Moore and Sterling already play with chips on their shoulders and I think the rest of the league underestimates us at their peril. Does anyone have any insight on the starting 5? I assume Sterling, B Moore, Semi, Shake, and then I guess it depends if we go big with the Australian post or small with a PG.
93Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby deucetz » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:46 am

SMU will continually not get the respect it deserves until we make a splash in the Tournament.
deucetz
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:49 am

93Mustang wrote:Decent write up. I really like that these guys are being underestimated this season, from Coach Jank to our pair of four year starter warriors, to our new recruits. I expect big things from this team. While we lose Nic, I expect our defense to be even better. My biggest concern is who will play point because I don't think that is the best place for Shake. I will be shocked if we aren't ranked early in the season and I will be very surprised if this isn't a tournament team. Ben Moore and Sterling already play with chips on their shoulders and I think the rest of the league underestimates us at their peril. Does anyone have any insight on the starting 5? I assume Sterling, B Moore, Semi, Shake, and then I guess it depends if we go big with the Australian post or small with a PG.

Very much in flux. Those 4 will start all season, but depending on matchups and whose hot I would expect the 5th to change. Everything I have read seems to think we will start with: Shake, Emelogu, Sterling, Semi, Ben Moore.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby smusic 00 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:11 am

I think it's funny/strange that MK is always listed right behind NM. Did no one watch Sterling or Ben Moore the last two years? MK almost disappeared once Tolbert took over. And Semi = stronger Tolbert + baby LeBron.

Being underestimated is fun.
smusic 00

Postby smusic 00 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:12 am

PonyLawExpress wrote:
93Mustang wrote:Decent write up. I really like that these guys are being underestimated this season, from Coach Jank to our pair of four year starter warriors, to our new recruits. I expect big things from this team. While we lose Nic, I expect our defense to be even better. My biggest concern is who will play point because I don't think that is the best place for Shake. I will be shocked if we aren't ranked early in the season and I will be very surprised if this isn't a tournament team. Ben Moore and Sterling already play with chips on their shoulders and I think the rest of the league underestimates us at their peril. Does anyone have any insight on the starting 5? I assume Sterling, B Moore, Semi, Shake, and then I guess it depends if we go big with the Australian post or small with a PG.

Very much in flux. Those 4 will start all season, but depending on matchups and whose hot I would expect the 5th to change. Everything I have read seems to think we will start with: Shake, Emelogu, Sterling, Semi, Ben Moore.

I think Froling will start over Ben E. But I guess it depends if we are going 'big' or 'small.'
smusic 00

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:26 am

Jank will have some flexibility in terms of who starts and you also have to see who fits the role of 6th man to give the team a spark when needed. I agree that if Gu has returned to form, he might crack the starting lineup, but I would not be surprised to see Jarrey or Harry in the mix, depending on match-ups with our opponents. My guess is that Jarrey is our most likely 6th man as he struck me as a high energy guy last year. Hopefully he has worked on his FT shooting
Charleston Pony

Postby stangsup4 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:41 am

smusic 00 wrote:I think it's funny/strange that MK is always listed right behind NM. Did no one watch Sterling or Ben Moore the last two years? MK almost disappeared once Tolbert took over. And Semi = stronger Tolbert + baby LeBron.

Being underestimated is fun.

Big time Ewing theory potential with Markus gone. Always thought the team played better with Ben playing big.
stangsup4
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:59 am

Jeez....Tom Wilson gets no love AGAIN. I hope he's developing a nice chip on his shoulder.

Rothstein is really hedging his bet here. Sure...we're destined for third in the AAC BUT we COULD over-achieve. I fully agree with that assessment.

I agree that Sterling and Ben are under-appreciated by most outside of the conference and I'm expecting career years from both.

I understand all the question marks...Ben E, the rooks, no Nic, no obvious inside presence, and of course, no LB.

It's why I think we may struggle a bit at first...but I think we are rocking by conference time.

Has anyone noticed that preseason reports have us as the least respected on the four teams meeting up in NYC? I think we could just as easily come away 0-2 as 2-0 there.

If it's 0-2 you can forget about being ranked for most of the season. If it's 2-0 we'll crack the top 20 and stay there as long as we win and our conference does well in OOC's.

It's gonna be a fun season and I can't friggin wait.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:21 pm

I think Ben Moore and Sterling Brown will prove to be much more than just "capable role players" this season.

I don't agree that we are less talented than last year. In fact, I think the opposite is true. Will we be as good a team as last year?. . . that remains to be seen. But if not, it won't be because we don't have the same level of talent.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:04 pm

We will not have a long undefeated streak like last year but we will finish stronger and possibly have a better overall record. While our starters were amazing last year, due to injuries, sanctions, transfers, and personal decisions we lacked depth and it hurt us the second half of the season.
mustangxc

Postby PK » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:45 pm

mustangxc wrote:We will not have a long undefeated streak like last year but we will finish stronger and possibly have a better overall record. While our starters were amazing last year, due to injuries, sanctions, transfers, and personal decisions we lacked depth and it hurt us the second half of the season.

Don't forget who was the coach during the first nine wins of that long undefeated streak.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby deucetz » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:36 pm

The team is definitely more talented in terms of rankings out of high school then we were last year.

Let's just hope that this new team has the heart of Nic Moore and Tolbert.
deucetz
All-American

Postby gostangs » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:10 pm

not only is Froling not starting - I would bet you wont see him on the court as much as you would expect at first.

I am very optimistic also - but also a bit cautious. Unproven point and not enough height are too pretty big issues to solve. also don't forget we have a VERY short bench due to our friends at the NCAA.
gostangs

Postby smusic 00 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:25 pm

We've been playing with 8/9 for three years. Duke does it every year.
smusic 00

Next

Return to Basketball