PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bob Knight on the Ticket

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Bob Knight on the Ticket

Postby EastStang » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:18 pm

Knight has always been a high strung whiner. Probably someone asked him if he had made bail yet. Or maybe asked him if he'd beaten up anyone this week, or strangled anyone lately. You know the usual stuff he probably heard in every Big X gym and every Big XII gym. He probably went over to the cop because he wanted to pick a fight with someone and he likes to hit cops.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dooby » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:21 pm

Don't you guys remember when Knight b!tched about the Northwestern fans for chanting "Who's your daddy?"

In fact, Knight's definition of etiquette-impaired schools: Norhtwestern, Duke, Stanford and Connecticut.

I, for one, am proud to be on that list.

Knight's a blowhard. He can kiss my grits.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:22 pm

We had some very innovative hecklers during my stay at SMU ('68-'72). I do not remember all that was said but the favorite game of the year was Texas Pan AM with Abe Lemmons coaching. He was very animated and would get into it with the students. But it was always in fun, no harm, and very entertaining. I would say that although Lemmons was the most heckled coach, he was also the most liked and respected by the SMU students for the way that he handled it. He was my favorite non-SMU coach until he went to tu.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby OldPony » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:25 pm

This may be tasteless but I think Bobby sucks.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Eddie P » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:32 pm

Someone said it earlier and I agree: I think lil' Bobby Knight is just playing politics to maybe reclaim some more of the seats immediately behind the visitors bench.

And as for worries about him not returning to Dallas because of this "alleged incident," well, as long as college basketball coaches find a wee bit of talent in the D/FW area, coaches will continue to schedule games here. AD's tend to have a say in that as well. Bobby Knight does not rule Tech like he ruled Indiana. He's just pissed because he's doing all of those awful commercials on TV during his team's televised games. I think he was selling auto insurance last night. I think last year he was selling dog food as well as some auto parts store.

Postby MustangSally » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:48 pm

I can only imagine the trouble the band would get in if we were seated behind the opponents' bench. I say soooo many horrible comments but no one can ever really hear them, so I'm usually in the clear. Occasionally a cheerleader or two will look back and roll their eyes. Women's games are fun because the players CAN usually hear what you are saying. A few times last year we got into shouting matches with the scrubs on the bench. I love heckling the giddy girls still in their shooting jerseys. "Don't get too worked up, they might need to you to hand them a towel in minute..." stuff like that. I am still praying for the day when we get to play Seton Hall in women's bball. Why, you might ask? Because their head coach's name is PHYLLIS MANGINA! Maybe I am childish, but I giggle just thinking about it...
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby Corso » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:33 pm

Poor little mistreated Bobby. How has he made it this far in his career without fans ever getting on his case? After all, the guy is a poster child for civil behavior -- surely our fans should have the same courtesy to him that he's had to .... his players over the years (just ask Neil Reed) .... officials .... a telephone at the scorer's table .... that chair .... everyone else he's ever come across. Don't get me wrong -- I think he's great for the game of college basketball. But if he's going to act like a jerk, as he often does, he needs to grow up and be able to take it in return.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyte » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:12 pm

I remember when the football team sat behind the Texas bench and gave Abe and his Longhorns some "pointers." Not a single head tuned and not a word form Abe. Perhaps the football team should permanently take up the spot behind the visitors and help with "coaching."

Of course back then there were members of the team that would have loved for a little into the stands foray by an opponent. My guess is even Booby Knight would think twice about attacking a football team.
ponyte

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:18 pm

Ponyte:
It was the FB team heckling Abe while I was there. Only problem was we were not the size of your team. We were not very intimidating even to a paunchy BB coach.

<small>[ 12-04-2003, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: mrydel ]</small>
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby red&blue » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:32 pm

Originally posted by mrydel:
We had some very innovative hecklers during my stay at SMU ('68-'72). I do not remember all that was said but the favorite game of the year was Texas Pan AM with Abe Lemmons coaching. He was very animated and would get into it with the students. But it was always in fun, no harm, and very entertaining. I would say that although Lemmons was the most heckled coach, he was also the most liked and respected by the SMU students for the way that he handled it. He was my favorite non-SMU coach until he went to tu.
red&blue
Scout Team

Postby red&blue » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:36 pm

Abe was quite a guy. He was a close family friend and we all really miss him. He did lots for bball.
red&blue
Scout Team

Postby StangEsq » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:44 pm

Originally posted by Uncle Morty:
You suck, your mother sucks, your schol sucks, your town sucks, sucksucksucksucksuck. Come on guys, think up something new! A little creativity here goes a long way.
Yep, it's probably not too original to say that either Bob Knight or Lubbock sucks. :p
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby MustangSally » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:29 pm

Jeez, now the DMN has an entire article on Knight's quotes about the SMU fans. I want to know what was said, not because I am embarassed, but I am just curious what could have focused his attention on it enough to summon the police. The only things I can think of that would really set someone off (especially someone as heckled as Knight) would be N-----s or something retardedly foul like MotherFuc-ing Coc-suckers over and over again. To the students or whoever was around there, did you hear anything that tipped you off as "over the edge"? Surely, he's exaggerating, I can't imagine SMU having by far the most disgusting fans in the nation when it comes to verbal abuse. I can come up with some downright dirty stuff, but I am sure it's all been said to Knight by drunken fratboys at a number of schools multiple times over. Part of me thinks this is just whiny Knight trying to have a point about everything. I remember two years ago when they came here and beat us, his post-game comments were all about God and how He must be happy that Bobby basically sold out an arena for the Methodists. What a freakin joke!
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby In Tate We Trust » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:35 pm

I just read that story (the DMN story is on the homepage). Knight wouldn't have said a word if Tech had won. This is the sign of a sore loser. If the fans got in his head so much that he was worrying about them instead of the fact that nobody on his team outside of Andre Emmett can shoot, then I say GOOD JOB to the fans. They became a sixth man, they gave the Ponies a genuine home court advantage. They took one of the fiercest competitors in the history of basketball out of the game.

GREAT JOB, PonyFans!
In Tate We Trust
Scout Team

Postby couch 'em » Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:01 am

I did see Knight talk to security and then some of the security go into the stands to talk to some students, but I didn't worry to much because the students and the security guy were laughing and joking around. Probably laughing at how clownshoes Knight's complaints were.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball