PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Moody Coliseum...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Moody Coliseum...

Postby MustangSally » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:55 pm

I know this has been discussed before, but I'm bored, so here we go again. What do you, as SMU and college bball fans, think should be done to Moody to make it more attractive to recruits, future fans, etc. Bulldoze and build a new facility? Renovate the lobby? I haven't been to that many arenas around the nation, so I dont know what's the going trend for nice arenas.

Personally, I have seen Tulsa's new arena and while it is definitely newer and shinier, it doesn't have that closed in feel of Moody. What I like about Moody is that it's like an upside down pyramid (seats all the way up on every side) with small portals leading out the sides, allowing the place to feel contained and closed off from the outside. Tulsa's place felt really open and airy. What I'd like to see done is wider hallways to allow for more concession lines. Also, raise the ceilings in the halls and get some decent lighting. It always feels like we have temporary lighting or something. The front lobby area could be totally redone and updated. It's not bad, just looks like I would imagine it did in 1956. Inside the coliseum, lets get some lower level seats that seem to match the design of the rest of the place. That "wall" that goes all the way around the middle looks goofy. Also, why is Moody still decked out in the older light blue color?

I know all of this takes money, but I was just curious what WOULD be done if Moody were to be renovated. Thanks for any input
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Re: Moody Coliseum...

Postby couch 'em » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:28 pm

I a big fan of Moody the way it is. I hate the big open feel of places like Tulsa... there is nothing better than Moody when it is full and loud...everyone feels ontop of each other and crowded, great atmosphere. All it needs is to raise the roof to add better lighting and a bigger scoreboard, and wider halls and such. It needs to be modernized, but the inside should not be rearranged.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:48 pm

i think new seats in the same arrangement, maybe a resurfacing of the entire interior... do they have a separate practice facility yet?

scoreboard needs a video screen. either that or install 2-3 around the coliseum.. and the lobby and hallways need to be modernized. that seriously couldnt cost THAT MUCH, could it? We need to have a COMMITMENT to basketball as well.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:52 pm

I remember seeing lots of Dallas Chaparrals basketball games at Moody, too! And one of the GREATEST rock concerts of my early adulthood...Elton John. Awesome!
MrMustang1965

Postby Spaz » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:00 pm

Originally posted by couch 'em:
I a big fan of Moody the way it is. I hate the big open feel of places like Tulsa... there is nothing better than Moody when it is full and loud...everyone feels ontop of each other and crowded, great atmosphere. All it needs is to raise the roof to add better lighting and a bigger scoreboard, and wider halls and such. It needs to be modernized, but the inside should not be rearranged.
Crotch 'em, when you say raise the roof, do you do that little hand gesture, too?
WHERE'S MY KETCHUP?!?!?!
Spaz
Varsity

Postby Diehard Pony » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:17 pm

I believe this topic has been addressed before, but doesn't hurt to repeat. It is basketball season.

The plans for Moody's renovation have been done for roughly two years. Action on those plans has been delayed because other capital expenditures are ahead of Moody in the priorities list. From what I have been told the plans call for a renovation, not a tear down. The most major of changes includes elimination of virtually all of the offices (moved to Ford) to allow for wide corridors, new lighting, the addition of private suites, new restrooms and concessions, and a state of the art scoreboard
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby couch 'em » Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:41 pm

where would private suites fit? wouldn't you have to take out alot of seating?
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby Diehard Pony » Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:49 pm

Originally posted by couch 'em:
where would private suites fit? wouldn't you have to take out alot of seating?
Some seating would have to be removed, but I don't believe it would be a large number. They plan to use what used to be the press box which is very high on one side of Moody. I believe it is on the side opposite of where the team benchs are.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:43 pm

Not to mention the Pearl Jam show and Grateful Dead have played great shows at Moody. 10/15/77
11/17/93

I think we need wider halls, better lighting, restrooms, an electronic cash register for concessions, new scoreboard and new lobby.

<small>[ 12-04-2003, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Pony_Fan ]</small>
Pony_Fan

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:48 am

We don't need the 9000 seats we have now. How often are they filled? Luxury suites are needed so we can return the students to courtside and it won't hur Moody at all if we loose another 1000 seats in the process. Now if only the students could pack the courtside area like they did in my days at SMU!
Charleston Pony

Postby DiamondM » Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:54 am

Pearl Jam was a great concert, but PJ actually complained about Moody having to keep lights on at the top of the arena per the fire marshal because Moody has no lighting on the stairs nor handrails. It eventually made for some interesting "spotlight" dancing at the top of Moody during the concert, but there was a crisis because the band was very upset about the situation and initially did not want to play until it was dark.

I would like us to perhaps take out a couple seats along the aisles to widen the stairways to allow for the installation of handrails (if such widening is needed to accomplish this). If we wanted to make Moody suitable for future big act concerts in a smaller venue, we probably need to upgrade the lighting on the stairs and make a better "green room" than the Letterman room.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby OldPony » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:04 am

Yeah- Let's spend millions so the fat cats can have private suites that don't pay for themselves. Pure Dallas. Wider concourses and practice facilities, home team dressing rooms and team lounge would help recruits. Nice offices for the HC and his assistants. To heck with visitor facilities and private suites. Moody seating is great and it can be unbelieveably loud. Unfortunately, the last ime it really was it was the visitors from Ark or KU who filled it and screamed all night.
Some of the best places in the country for basketball are old facilities. Nothing is cooler that Allen Field House or Cameron.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby i10pony » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:52 am

Old Pony,

You forgot about the Palestra at Penn,the Pit in N Mex, and Gallagher-Iba at Ok state. Put in new locker rooms and a video screen. But do not take away the student section. I love how the seating is on top of the bball court. I love the band box feel of Moody. Right now Moody is a half [deleted] Cameron. But hopefully someday we'll get that thing packed on a regular basis.
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Postby gostangs » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:21 pm

Old - What do you mean the boxes don't pay for themselves? - they will pay for way more then themselves. And there is nothing "Dallas" about that - every major univ. in the country is looking for ways to increase revenue streams and that is one way to do it. Retrofitted Moody with a new scoreboard, wider halls and concessions that work would be one of the best places in the country to see a bball game.

Best idea was mentioned earlier. All the high dollar mustang clubbers that buy season tickets but never go make us look stupid and take away from the home field advantage - we need to get the students back in those mid court blue seats (in the middle section) and move the paid but never come crowd into boxes where we don't have to see them.
gostangs

Postby OldPony » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:05 pm

They only pay for themselves when taxpayers pay the initial cost (or donors). They would have been installed everywhere. What do you think you could get for a suite and tickets for an SMU game.
OldPony
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball