PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Prediction Time!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Prediction Time!

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:14 pm

Looked like 2 very evenly matched teams out there today with USC having the advantage of having some skilled bigs that gave us trouble. On the flip side, we took their little PG out of his "normal" game with our big guards. It hurts to lose, but considering the stakes, that was one of the more exciting SMU basketball games I've ever seen and I've been following SMU hoops since the early 60's. I just kept hoping someone would start hitting threes late, but after Shake made those 2 shots, USC really tightened up and wasn't going to let him beat us from deep.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:35 pm

which is why you call a time out and figure out a play. Its pretty simple.
gostangs

Postby Stallion » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:14 am

How often has our team exceeded the expectations on season record of each and every ponyfan expert on the annual Prediction thread. ANSWER: it has never happened
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mustangxc » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:21 am

To clarify, it is much easier to meet expectations in the regular season because unless you are the UConn women where you are expected to go undefeated you have opportunities to make up for a loss whereas postseason play is unforgiving due to the single elimination format.
mustangxc

Postby SMU Section F » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:34 am

Stallion wrote:How often has our team exceeded the expectations on season record of each and every ponyfan expert on the annual Prediction thread. ANSWER: it has never happened

I'll readily admit that this team flew right past my expectations and kept right on going. Hell, it's amazing what SMU has accomplished the last few years - postseason disappointments be damned.

I think all reasonable fans are quite proud of our team's achievements this year. I also think the impressiveness of those achievements makes a first round exit sting that much more, because we know (or imagine, at least) what could have been.

What hurts the most - and probably what gets fans unreasonably riled up - is nobody wants to let go of the special team we had the honor of watching play. Next year is a new year - and one with a lot to look forward to - but this year is over and this team is done. Whether selfishly for our selves, altruistically for our players, or practically for our school, I think everyone just wanted a little bit more. But it's time to move on, I guess. Personally, I'll probably keep moping a bit until the sun rises on April 4th... and then I'll start preparing my unrealistic expectations for next year.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:02 am

The best comparison I can make is the 1998 Houston Astros team that was loaded. We had Randy Johnson in his prime along with Shane Reynolds, Mike Hampton and Jose Lima. We had Biggio, Bagwell, Alou, Bell, Berry, Everett in their primes along with a great closer in Billy Wagner. We ran into a hot Padres team that knocked us out. We also had the 2004 Houston Astros that had Clemens, Oswalt, an injured Pettitte, Lidge, Bagwell, Biggio, Beltran, Berkman, Kent, Ausmus, etc. Either of those teams would probably be considered the best in franchise history and yet it was the 2005 team that made the world series. That team a year later was the 2004 team without Bagwell, Beltran and Kent. The difference was we got back Pettite and got a little luckier in the post-season. All you can do is put yourself in a position to win and hope luck falls on your side. USC is a solid team, we are better. Basketball is a sport that consists of teams making runs throughout the game. Unfortunately, the game ended as they made their biggest run of the game and despite having our chances we failed to convert. It happens. I am disappointed in the loss for our team and the seniors who will never get another chance. However, if SMU is committed to remain nationally competitive we will get our day as fans.
mustangxc

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:56 am

mustangxc wrote:The best comparison I can make is the 1998 Houston Astros team that was loaded. We had Randy Johnson in his prime along with Shane Reynolds, Mike Hampton and Jose Lima. We had Biggio, Bagwell, Alou, Bell, Berry, Everett in their primes along with a great closer in Billy Wagner. We ran into a hot Padres team that knocked us out. We also had the 2004 Houston Astros that had Clemens, Oswalt, an injured Pettitte, Lidge, Bagwell, Biggio, Beltran, Berkman, Kent, Ausmus, etc. Either of those teams would probably be considered the best in franchise history and yet it was the 2005 team that made the world series. That team a year later was the 2004 team without Bagwell, Beltran and Kent. The difference was we got back Pettite and got a little luckier in the post-season. All you can do is put yourself in a position to win and hope luck falls on your side. USC is a solid team, we are better. Basketball is a sport that consists of teams making runs throughout the game. Unfortunately, the game ended as they made their biggest run of the game and despite having our chances we failed to convert. It happens. I am disappointed in the loss for our team and the seniors who will never get another chance. However, if SMU is committed to remain nationally competitive we will get our day as fans.

Except for USC was deeper and more talented. Foul trouble hurt as did their length. Don't know if we are better with zero points from the bench. Bottom line is USC beat SMU twice and should have never been an 11 seed. We have to get better next year and if Semi leaves or we don't get another quality big we could be in for a long year.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:05 am

Thanks for reviving this thread.

The team exceeded my season expectations but fell short of where I hoped they could go post season.

Bottom line is that we needed a deeper bench and only the amazing play all season long by six guys obscured that...until it didnt.

sanctions kept us out of a tourney last year and PUT us out this year.

I'll be damn glad when we are done with them....and next year at least we'll have some scholarship players on the bench.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby mustangxc » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:14 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
mustangxc wrote:The best comparison I can make is the 1998 Houston Astros team that was loaded. We had Randy Johnson in his prime along with Shane Reynolds, Mike Hampton and Jose Lima. We had Biggio, Bagwell, Alou, Bell, Berry, Everett in their primes along with a great closer in Billy Wagner. We ran into a hot Padres team that knocked us out. We also had the 2004 Houston Astros that had Clemens, Oswalt, an injured Pettitte, Lidge, Bagwell, Biggio, Beltran, Berkman, Kent, Ausmus, etc. Either of those teams would probably be considered the best in franchise history and yet it was the 2005 team that made the world series. That team a year later was the 2004 team without Bagwell, Beltran and Kent. The difference was we got back Pettite and got a little luckier in the post-season. All you can do is put yourself in a position to win and hope luck falls on your side. USC is a solid team, we are better. Basketball is a sport that consists of teams making runs throughout the game. Unfortunately, the game ended as they made their biggest run of the game and despite having our chances we failed to convert. It happens. I am disappointed in the loss for our team and the seniors who will never get another chance. However, if SMU is committed to remain nationally competitive we will get our day as fans.

Except for USC was deeper and more talented. Foul trouble hurt as did their length. Don't know if we are better with zero points from the bench. Bottom line is USC beat SMU twice and should have never been an 11 seed. We have to get better next year and if Semi leaves or we don't get another quality big we could be in for a long year.

I'll take our team against their's as is.
mustangxc

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:37 pm

mustangxc wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:

You did and we lost twice.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby mustangxc » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:24 pm

The first was on the road by 5 while we were still searching for our identity. the second was on a neutral court by 1 with a chance to win it at the end. Hardly a lopsided matchup.
mustangxc

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:38 pm

We still lost twice as it was not a good matchup for us. No one said it was lopsided. But I believe they come to Moody next year and the have a top notch recruiting class coming in so we will see if we can finally beat them.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby JoeKidd » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:46 pm

Rebel10 wrote:We still lost twice as it was not a good matchup for us. No one said it was lopsided. But I believe they come to Moody next year and the have a top notch recruiting class coming in so we will see if we can finally beat them.

I hope they do come to Moody....they are going to get a beat down....if Semi is back.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby SMU Section F » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:06 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
mustangxc wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Except for USC was deeper and more talented. Foul trouble hurt as did their length. Don't know if we are better with zero points from the bench. Bottom line is USC beat SMU twice and should have never been an 11 seed. We have to get better next year and if Semi leaves or we don't get another quality big we could be in for a long year.

You did and we lost twice.

If they were to play again and my life was at stake, I'd still take SMU. The better team doesn't always win. Hell, that's half the fun of March Madness. (Though this year has admittedly been a little light on it.)
SMU Section F
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball