PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Prediction Time!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Prediction Time!

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:36 pm

I'm saying this team is a strong NIT contender but I don't see the tourney.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:38 pm

I still think we are an NCAA tournament team, but instead of Sweet 16 one and done.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:29 am

Going to need wins against TCU & Stanford to help our RPI
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:51 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Going to need wins against TCU & Stanford to help our RPI

Agreed. I think a lot of people projected 11-2 for our OOC record. I know I did. Didn't expect to get blown out by Michigan, but as long as we can take care of business at Boise and at Moody we should be in a good spot by conference play. Need those wins over TCU and Stanford for the tourney resume.

Our conference isn't loaded. I still think we are a tourney team, but my perception of how far we go is in question now as mustangxc said. Hopefully we will have a nice turnaround like in 2014-15.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:11 pm

I had us 8-3 OOC...I'm on track but nervous. I would never have predicted the blowout by Michigan and looking at USC in the rear-view mirror it looks like we could have made a better game of it.

Hopefully the seniors step up, the rotation gels and the frosh improve. I think we need some minutes and a hot hand from Wilson now and then.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PonyFan32 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:45 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:I had us 8-3 OOC...I'm on track but nervous. I would never have predicted the blowout by Michigan and looking at USC in the rear-view mirror it looks like we could have made a better game of it.

Hopefully the seniors step up, the rotation gels and the frosh improve. I think we need some minutes and a hot hand from Wilson now and then.

We play 13 OOC games... Do you expect for 2 games to get cancelled and not rescheduled? ;)
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:22 am

Anyone care to revise predictions 2/3 of the way in?
mustangxc

Postby longbuzzer » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:55 am

10-3 OOC completed

14-4 in Conference.

2-1 in AAC tournament. UC wins auto pick.

Six seed in NCAA. Win first game easily and lose second due to a tough match-up and bad luck.

Nagging injuries and short bench cost us the out and out AAC championship and a trip to Sweet Sixteen. Still, a very good year to continue momentum.
longbuzzer
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUstangs22 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:45 pm

17-1 conference

3-0 AAC tourny

6-0 NCAAT
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:45 pm

JasonB wrote:3rd place in conference if Semi is not all-conference.

I predict Semi will be all-conference. In which case, SMU has 4 future NBA players in the starting lineup, wins conference and goes to the sweet 16.

I'll stand by my prediction. Part of me wants to see us go into the tourney at a lower seed so that we play as underdogs with a chip on our shoulder.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:35 pm

10-3 is one better than what I predicted for non-conference and it appears we will do a lot better than my 11-7 conference estimate, but we've still got to play Cincy again, road games with Tulsa, Temple and Houston and I haven't penciled in a win at UCF yet, but hopefully we do no worse than 13-5 in AAC play to finish regular season at 23-8. Would love to see our guys make the finals of AAC Tourney and play from the 6/11 or 7/10 seeded games in the NCAA in which case I'd like to think we at least advance to the 2nd round. Just need Jarrey to come back strong and for everyone to stay healthy
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:57 pm

losing stinks but this team still exceeded my expectations for the most part. Sure would have loved the opportunity to play Baylor. Much too early to talk about next year until we know who is coming back, but I think this program has established itself as a post season participant, whether that means NCAA or NIT
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:04 pm

This team exceeded my expectations in the regular season and disappointed me in the post-season. It happens. If you let a game go to the final seconds anything can happen and in our case we got burned in each of our last 2 NCAA games. We should have handled UCLA two years ago and we should have handled USC today. No point in looking back. Let's build on the current success.
mustangxc

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:07 pm

We should have beat UCLA but I don't know about "handling" USC which had more than just 6 players and were more talented overall. Not to mention they had beaten us previously and had beaten a top ten UCLA.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:10 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:losing stinks but this team still exceeded my expectations for the most part. Sure would have loved the opportunity to play Baylor. Much too early to talk about next year until we know who is coming back, but I think this program has established itself as a post season participant, whether that means NCAA or NIT

I hope you are right about Semi staying. Because if he leaves we could be in for a long year next year. Now if he stays and we add a quality Big to the class then we keep rolling imo.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball