PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2016-2017 Bracketology Thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2016-2017 Bracketology Thread

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:22 pm

I just want to avoid a team in the 2nd round that can dominate us inside. There are several teams that will be ranked between 1-3 that will kill us inside if we play them. FSU is not one of them.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:45 pm

Avoid the biggest dude in college basketball and Purdue in the 2nd round please.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby RI Stang » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:12 pm

I love the Seton Hall/Florida State path - that would be a pretty sweet draw, even in Orlando. Would much rather draw FSU than someone like Arizona.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Harry0569 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:50 pm

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ment-field

Bilas Index

19. SMU Mustangs
This is an undervalued team that is legit. Semi Ojeleye is averaging 18.3 points per game, the most by a Mustangs player since 2010-11 (Papa Dia). SMU holds opponents to 58.9 points per game, fewest in the conference and third-fewest in Division I.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Harry0569 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:52 pm

11. Baylor Bears
The Bears are good, and their résumé suggests they should be ranked higher. But The Bilas Index tells you how good a team is, not what the paper says or how the committee will vote. Baylor's opponents average 62.4 points per game, fewest in the Big 12 and third-fewest among major-conference teams. Its opponents shoot 39.2 percent from the field, lowest in the Big 12 and second-lowest among major-conference teams. The Bears are on pace to allow their third-fewest points per game in the past 50 seasons. Johnathan Motley averages 9.5 rebounds per game, most in the Big 12. His 10 double-doubles are tied with Texas' Jarrett Allen and TCU's Kenrich Williams for the most in the conference.

16. Cincinnati Bearcats
The Bearcats lead the American in points per game (75.8), field goal percentage (46.9 percent) and points per game off turnovers (17.2). What sets Cincinnati apart this season is its ability to score from five spots on the floor. Lefty Kyle Washington has shown great versatility for the Bearcats and has been a difference maker.

26. Michigan Wolverines
The Wolverines have a 119.2 adjusted offensive efficiency, highest in the Big Ten. Michigan turns the ball over on 15 percent of its possessions, lowest in the Big Ten and sixth lowest in Division I. This has been a different team over the past two weeks, and the turnaround has been impressive. When Michigan scores, the Wolverines can beat most anyone.

38. USC Trojans
USC allows 11.4 points per game off turnovers, second-fewest in the Pac-12 behind Arizona State at 11.0. The Trojans average 7.1 steals per game, most in the Pac-12. When USC is allowed to get out in transition, this can be a really good team. When forced to play a five-on-five game in the half court, though, this team is very beatable.

44. Texas Tech Red Raiders
The Red Raiders have lost four of five, but that has to be understood in the context of the difficulty of the schedule. Texas Tech lost at TCU by a point, then lost at home to Kansas by a point. The Red Raiders then beat Baylor, then lost to both Iowa State in overtime) and West Virginia in double overtime. Texas Tech is 5-10 in the Big 12, but is a pretty tough team to beat.

46. TCU Horned Frogs
TCU gets an assist on 62 percent of its made shots, the highest in the Big 12. Kenrich Williams has 10 double-doubles, most by a TCU player since Marquise Gainous had 11 in 1999-2000.

59. Houston Cougars
Coach Kelvin Sampson has done an excellent job of making Houston competitive again. The Cougars are 18-8, including wins in five of their past six games, primarily because the Cougars can shoot it from range. Houston shoots better than 40 percent from deep, eighth in the nation, with former Oregon Duck Damyean Dotson leading the way with 90 made 3s on 47 percent shooting.

60. Pittsburgh Panthers
After an overtime win over Virginia to make Pitt 1-1 in the ACC, the Panthers lost eight in a row, including five on the road. Pittsburgh bounced back and had a great performance against Florida State behind 29 points from Shelden Jeter. Top scorers Michael Young and Jamel Artis have combined for 99 made 3-point field goals.

61. UT Arlington Mavericks
Kevin Hervey continues to put on high-level shows for the Sun Belt-leading Mavericks. Hervey has 11 double-doubles, including a 28-point, 13-rebound performance against Georgia Southern that included five made 3-point field goals. UT-Arlington plays its final two regular-season games on the road before the Sun Belt tournament.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby gostangs » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:02 pm

not sure why everyone always has us below UC. We barely lost to them at their place - and thumped them pretty good at Moody. Yet we are 2-3 spots behind them all the time.

Guess the neutral spot will tell. I like our chances. This team has grit.
gostangs

Postby Pony_Law » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:13 pm

PonyPlayer4 wrote:Avoid the biggest dude in college basketball and Purdue in the 2nd round please.

Watched Purdue's game against Penn, even though Purdue didn't play well I want nothing to do with their front Court.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Harry0569 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:17 pm

Pony_Law wrote:
PonyPlayer4 wrote:Avoid the biggest dude in college basketball and Purdue in the 2nd round please.

Watched Purdue's game against Penn, even though Purdue didn't play well I want nothing to do with their front Court.

Swanigan is an absolute friken beast and their back-up Haas is no slouch either. They also shoot 41% from 3...
Harry0569

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:33 pm

Yes, he is. Swanigan complete dominates inside. I've watched Purdue five or six times and he is consistantly great. He never takes a game off. He and Lonzo would be my top two for national POY.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:05 pm

gostangs wrote:not sure why everyone always has us below UC. We barely lost to them at their place - and thumped them pretty good at Moody. Yet we are 2-3 spots behind them all the time.

Guess the neutral spot will tell. I like our chances. This team has grit.

Body of work. They have 3 Top 50 wins and we only have one. And they have one less loss. I think we are the better team, but unless we beat them again or they lose again before we play them they will be ahead of us.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:21 pm

RI Stang wrote:Would much rather draw FSU than someone like Arizona.

I agree Arizona could overwhelm us with their combination of size and shooting.

Florida State would be a fascinating matchup with their height against our consistent length.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Harry0569 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:15 am

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... acketology

5 seed vs. Nevada in Sac-town; would play UCLA in next round then UNC in Memphis
Harry0569

Postby RI Stang » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:15 am

Palm has us still as a 7 this morning, vs Michigan St in Salt Lake, followed by Arizona. Awful draw (in my opinion). He is sticking with us as a 7 based on the committee "preview" from a few weeks ago and the committee focusing more on top 50 wins than anything else. Unfortunately that's the weakest part of our resume.

Lunardi has us as a 5 this morning, vs Nevada in Sacramento, followed by UCLA. As others have said, not sure I'm mentally ready for another UCLA tourney game and would be a big crowd advantage for them. I don't think that's a horrible matchup for us though - they play no defense and I like Shake defensively on Lonzo.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:55 am

RI Stang wrote:Palm has us still as a 7 this morning, vs Michigan St in Salt Lake, followed by Arizona. Awful draw (in my opinion). He is sticking with us as a 7 based on the committee "preview" from a few weeks ago and the committee focusing more on top 50 wins than anything else. Unfortunately that's the weakest part of our resume.

Lunardi has us as a 5 this morning, vs Nevada in Sacramento, followed by UCLA. As others have said, not sure I'm mentally ready for another UCLA tourney game and would be a big crowd advantage for them. I don't think that's a horrible matchup for us though - they play no defense and I like Shake defensively on Lonzo.

The committee seems to look at whatever screws teams like SMU the most which changes year to year. Some years it's losses to teams outside RPI 100, some years is SOS, some years it's wins against top 50 RPI ect. the AAC needs a committee member, period. Until that happens we will always get hosed. That said there really isn't a dominate team in the field this year. We can beat anyone if we shoot well and avoid foul trouble.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:57 am

Harry0569 wrote:http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

5 seed vs. Nevada in Sac-town; would play UCLA in next round then UNC in Memphis

In normal weather conditions (not wintertime), it is less than three hours from Reno to Sacramento.

RI Stang wrote:As others have said, not sure I'm mentally ready for another UCLA tourney game and would be a big crowd advantage for them. I don't think that's a horrible matchup for us though - they play no defense and I like Shake defensively on Lonzo.

Both Nevada and UCLA would have more fans in Sacramento than SMU, but it won't be overwhelming. Considering fans of five other schools are there, NCAA sites don't become hostile environments.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball