PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL GAME 3/4 THREAD: SMU @ 2017 2K Classic

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL GAME 3/4 THREAD: SMU @ 2017 2K Classic

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:36 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:
JasonB wrote:With who we have recruiting, won't the lack of size problem get worse next year?

Good point. We signed two 6'7 guys to replace a 6'8 player.

Chargois is a big bodied 6'7 so will give some extra physicality down there. Ray is a monster on the boards and a Ben Moore type athlete. If we return Semi I expect we will have similar size and an extra body. If Fro gets his body right we shouldn't have a size problem with those 4. Still no rim protector though.

So yes JasonB is right. With the team Michigan has they would still torch SMU. Also a rebounding 6'7 monster in high school does not always translate into a rebounding monster in college and Chargois is not that athletic. We will still be short unless someone grows.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby max the wonder dog » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:03 pm

On the plus side, lots of PonyFams in the Garden last night. Standing in line for the men's room with a half dozen men in SMU logo gear a couple of locals asked if we were New Yorkers. All of us were out-of-towners. Local dude says "SMU fans really support their team." Hope this is noticed and helps with future tourney invites.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:35 pm

I'm concerned about the lack of size, but I'm more concerned about the team running an offense. Lots of 1v1. It's what we make fun of Memphis and Houston and even Cincy for.

Against teams with rim protectors, when you don't have the size but you can shoot, you have to run the pick and roll. Worked very well with Nic the last couple of years. Haven't seen it enough, especially last night. Shake and Semi on the pick and roll would be pretty good because Shake can hit the three, and Semi is athletic and has a good mid-range game. Same with Moore.

Crazy idea - Semi and Moore in a pick and roll up top. You take two bigs out of the middle. If they go under the pick, Semi hits a three. If they go over, Moore will have size on the roll and the lane is so open other players have a good chance on the back door.
JasonB

Postby hoopmanx » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:39 pm

Chargois is a thick kid but needs elite performance training and a nutritionist. He can play though, more skilled than I thought. Ray is going to rebound at any level. I'd agree we could use a rim protector, but we did very well this fall. If Semi and Shake stay, Whitt on deck. Dangerous again. Same type of team though
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:11 pm

After Ben Moore leaves I don't see the team having much low post offense imo.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby mrydel » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:12 pm

Dr Seuss? I think he is a point.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:18 pm

max the wonder dog wrote:On the plus side, lots of PonyFams in the Garden last night. Standing in line for the men's room with a half dozen men in SMU logo gear a couple of locals asked if we were New Yorkers. All of us were out-of-towners. Local dude says "SMU fans really support their team." Hope this is noticed and helps with future tourney invites.

I got the same comments from Michigan fans around me. When the first SMU chant went off the guy turns around and says "Damn! impressive!"
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:26 pm

Rebel10 wrote:After Ben Moore leaves I don't see the team having much low post offense imo.

I agree won't have much low post O. I don't think Ben plays very much in the post as is though. He faces up and attacks more often. I think Ray will play a lot like Ben. We aren't adding any true low post guys. Chargois might post a bit. Same with Froling.

I'm excited to see Whitt. Hopefully adds a nice scoring threat to the Backcourt.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:40 pm

But I think they will be okay because Illinois State did well enough to go to the NIT with a lineup of similar height when Jank was there.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:49 pm

Rebel10 wrote:After Ben Moore leaves I don't see the team having much low post offense imo.

Froling will develop as a low post scorer
Charleston Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:41 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:

Froling will develop as a low post scorer

I am talking about in addition to him. I think Jank's offense is more geared towards outside shooting than post play.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby deucetz » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:30 am

Not gonna lie, the loss to Michigan hurt. My college roommate, went to Michigan for grad school so we have a rivalry. I hope we don't lay a goose egg the rest of our of conference schedule.

The main issue I see is a lack of ball movement and no true point guard--I hope these issues can be resolved. I hope Ethan Chargois is really 6 '10. I saw in a tweet that he was now 6'10 when he signed. His account is down, but that would be good news.
Last edited by deucetz on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deucetz
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:47 am

deucetz wrote:Not gonna lie, the loss to Michigan hurt. My college roommate, went to Michigan for grad school so we have a rivalry. I hope we don't lay a goose egg the rest of the our of conference schedule.

The main issue I see is a lack of ball movement and no true point guard--I hope these issues can be resolved. I hope Ethan Chargois is really 6 '10. I saw in a tweet that he was now 6'10 when he signed. His account is down, but that would be good news.

You are still up 2-1 on your roomie.

As for ball movement we actually have improved at getting the ball up the floor over last year. I don't recall many, if any, turnovers coming up the floor this season. It's the half court that's killing us with virtually no inside-out game. Michigan made us pay dearly and teams that scout us will see that.

Wilson likes to go baseline and kick. DeShawn can (obviously) zip a backdoor pass to a cutter. We need both.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Prideful Pony » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:44 pm

In my admittedly amateur opinion, we won't play much inside-out this year because of our personnel. There are other ways to to disrupt the defense though, whether it's PnR, taking and making the outside shots we're passing up (for something better that isn't coming), or something else. Granted it's very early, but our guys still seem to be making decisions like we've got the inside-out game to rely on -- making an extra pass, not cutting as aggressively, etc.
Prideful Pony
Junior Varsity

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:54 pm

Michigan breaks into the top 25 at #25.

Long after we forget the lopsided aszs-whuppin we took we may be glad we played them. They are very good and headed higher.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Previous

Return to Basketball