PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Team has no identity 6 games in

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Team has no identity 6 games in

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:30 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
mustangxc wrote:The two losses we have so far were expected. It would have been nice to close out USC last night, but those of you saying we would have stomped them probably don't follow college basketball. Stanford last season was a Pac-12 bottom dweller, while USC was an NCAA tournament team last season and will be again this season. Last year's team may have beaten this USC team, but it would have been close.

You expected to lose to USC. Okay. So I guess we should expect to lose to all tournament teams we play. We should beat TCU right?

I'll answer that b/c I agree with XC....I penciled in 3 OOC losses and figured one would come in NYC, one on this road trip and another just because of who we are. That DOES NOT mean we'll lose to any tourney team we play. I've maintained all along that we will improve as the season goes on and we'll hit our stride some time in February. We need to stay healthy, work in the noobs and not burn out the starters.

As for leadership...I saw Sterling show signs in the second half yesterday. He carried the team for a stretch but the game was pretty much out of hand. He can't do it alone though. Get used to having no star, no alpha dog. This has to be a team thing.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby jimhagle » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:51 pm

This team just needs time to figure it out. That is what the non-conference games are all about. The talent is obviously there.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:15 pm

They need someone to run the offense. To make sure the team actually runs plays, runs a pick and roll from time to time. And takes over in crunch time. Semi is the best overall player, but right now he doesn't fit in the normal offensive flow, so getting him involved moves us into 1 v 1 mode, which isn't good for the rest of the team and puts us in poor position defensively against the break. I think someone on the team will get sick of it and take over that role at some point, but we will see who it is and when it happens. The talent is there.

Defense is the bigger issue. We can't guard the ball tight because we have no shot blockers. When we do get tight, we get beat on the drive, have to help and get killed at the 3. We might have to press and zone as the season goes along to improve our defensive efficiency against good teams. Larry always used Sterling as a defensive stopper, putting him on the other team's best player to shut them down. We might need Sterling to defend the point right now. Someone needs to step it up on the defensive end and be that stopper.

As it stands, we are good enough to beat the okay and bad teams, and good enough to surprise a good team occasionally if our shots fall. Which will get us in the NIT. We need someone to step up on both sides of the court to make the NCAA.

Another thing I noticed - last 3 years, LB would draw up a play and score on every dead ball. Rarely score in those situations this season.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball