PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Team has no identity 6 games in

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Team has no identity 6 games in

Postby Lebanese4Life » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:27 pm

No real leader on the team. Thought it would be shake or semi but they've failed.

Offensively, our players run around like headless chickens when in desperate need of buckets. No one willing to step up. Just frantic solo ball. Where are the drives/kick outs or the quick ball movement to find open shooters??

Defensively, the effort is there but obviously lack of bangers and a shot blocker hurt us so we resort to giving up fouls. it would a been a blowout had usc hit their freebies. We also double way too much leaving 3 point shooters wide open. 3 point line has gashed us in all our losses this season.

Ultimately team has no real identity. Nic Moore was invaluable to our team. Shake just doesn't have it in him to be a floor general. He's 6'6 but doesn't utilize is height or length to his advantage. He was matched up against a 6 footer (I think?) and didn't capitalize.

Tamper down your expectations people. We do not look like a tourney team nor do I foresee significant improvement in the team given our current personnel.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Re: Team has no identity 6 games in

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:32 pm

I know. It's weird. Hopefully we grow into something. We unquestionably have some talent.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:37 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:I know. It's weird. Hopefully we grow into something. We unquestionably have some talent.

We have some talent but is it enough.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Lebanese4Life » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:43 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:I know. It's weird. Hopefully we grow into something. We unquestionably have some talent.

that's what he's implying. talent is there. just no1 willing to step up. basically, no LEADERS on the team to willingly take on the torch from Nic Moore.
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby TidePony » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:43 pm

This ^^^
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:48 pm

We are really missing Nic in the half court offense. I'm not totally down on the team yet, because teams can look way different 15 games in than 5-6, but we need some people to take over leadership and figure out our identity. As was said above we have talent.
Last edited by PonyLawExpress on Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby skyscraper » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:49 pm

We knew there would be an awkward transition period, but it still doesn't make it any fun to watch. Who wants to be THE MAN??
skyscraper

Postby TidePony » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:52 pm

They will get better, but "point guard by committee" is not a choice with this bunch. We need a floor general.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony81 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:53 pm

Semi needs to be the man. He has the most complete game of anybody and can create his own shot.
If I were Jank, I'd run plays where Semi can hit threes when we are down by 10 with less than 4 min. He is the only one with the ability and confidence to get us back in games.
Nic insisted on the ball to shoot a three ... The coach will have to direct the ball to Semi to get us back in games.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:06 pm

Lebanese4Life wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:

that's what he's implying. talent is there. just no1 willing to step up. basically, no LEADERS on the team to willingly take on the torch from Nic Moore.

I not saying that. I don't think there is enough talent. Especially the lack of a true point guard and lack athletic bigs 6'9 and over. And we will be smaller next year.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Lebanese4Life » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:15 pm

[/quote]

We have some talent but is it enough.[/quote]

that's what he's implying. talent is there. just no1 willing to step up. basically, no LEADERS on the team to willingly take on the torch from Nic Moore.[/quote]

I not saying that. I don't think there is enough talent. Especially the lack of a true point guard and lack athletic bigs 6'9 and over.[/quote]

yeah, I agree with you. we def have some holes to fill.

but I think given our current talent, we have a chance of being a pretty formidable team, but if and only if we have some people step up, most notably, Shake. his playmaking skills have been subpar. The dude is a freak, a 6'6' PG with a massively long wingspan. he should be SCHOOLING opposing PG's. he's projected to be drafted in the early rounds next year, but he hasn't shown jack this season. this is his season to shine if he willingly embraces the responsibility to lead this team - as we've seen so far, he's shied away from that responsibility.
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:20 pm

I just don't think Shake is a point like some have been lead to think. Now I think he is a freak shooting guard when paired up with a true point guard.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby deucetz » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:34 pm

Shake needs to go to the weight room with Foster.

Shake can't drive without falling on the floor.
deucetz
All-American

Postby Stallion » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:38 pm

We've got about 3 starters not playing their preferred positions-that's our weakness. Not really much we can do about it with the sanctions
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby RepublicanPNY » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:32 pm

We need a true point guard
Sent from my iPhone.
RepublicanPNY
Varsity

Next

Return to Basketball