PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Team has no identity 6 games in

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Team has no identity 6 games in

Postby RGV Pony » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:02 am

if Ben E was shooting better than 25% from the floor, even say 35-38%, we'd be singing his praises and feeling much better about our O. 2-12 from 3 (mostly wide open) and 4-12 from the rest equals a bunch of lost possessions. And often he's been at the 1 when he's taking those shots. Nic shot 46, 42 and 42% his three years here. That's where the difference is so big.

And yes, I know we're not going to duplicate a Conference POY...but again, somewhere in between 25 and 42 would be nice.
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:13 am

There's a lot of factors that I could laundry list, but ultimately, I expected Sterling and Ben to take legit steps. They seemed like seniors that would go from 11 ppg to 14 or 15. They haven't.

Why is Shake not going vertically and using his size to get in lane? It's all perimeter and horizontal.

Why do we play slow w/an athletic roster who clearly would prefer to push. There is no one to go inside/out with, get the ball up the court.

I don't believe in out of position arguments in college. I do believe in ball movement to compensate and exploit match ups. We don't do that well, other than in bursts, so it's en vogue to say kids are in proper spots. Play to match the rosters strengths.

Jank needs to use Wilson, if only bc he differentiates our skillsets. Replacing Jarrey or Sterling w dashawn or Gu, gives us a similar look/feel. This team is too hampered by depth issues, due to sanctions, not to use what we have. Froling has a huge offseason ahead. Skilled kid who has great feet, other than how slow they move. He's the definition of plodder right now. Scares me, cause Chargois needs a body makeover as well. Can't spend a lot of time waiting on either to get in elite shape.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:32 am

I agree that the biggest issue with our team is the seniors. What made us great the last three years is what is holding the team back this season. Brown and Moore are amazing role players and every team needs players like them. That worked wonders with an alpha like Nic Moore and another alpha in Markus Kennedy the previous year. Semi looks like he could be our alpha, but is not there yet. We need an alpha.
mustangxc

Postby redpony » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:45 am

I wonder how short of a leash Jank will be on if this crap continues.
redpony

Postby Nacho » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:55 am

Glad that u guys miss Nic. Most underappreciated SMU bball player ever. Also would be nice if we had a center.
Nacho

Postby Pony81 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:00 am

I wouldn't call our play crap. USC and Michigan are top 20 teams. We lack an athletic big who can protect the rim and a go to player who will assert himself.

I'm confident Semi will become the alpha male of the group, we will play well, and make the tourney.

As Hoop said, I'd love to Shake try to take it to the hoop more...... He could be the straw that mixes the drink but he isn't aggressive for some reason.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:17 am

I don't think Michigan will be in the top 20 anytime soon with the way South Carolina beat them. Landrum will be here as a true point guard next year but it may take some time as a as a freshmen to adjust. I just hope our 2018 class is really good and the other AAC teams don't recruit well. It seems we have somewhat fallen in love with the 3 as well.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby papawasamustang » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:18 am

I just watched the game & thought the team looked pretty good. I wouldn't make too much out of the early season. USC would be a top 3 team in the AAC, so going on the road & playing them tight was a plus. For those of us that played college ball, we understand how difficult it is to win on the road against a quality team. The game had a strange flow, no rhythm, clock problems, etc. The team will be fine, my only complaint is I'd like to see them get it & go more. I think they have an advantage in the open court that they aren't taking advantage of yet.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby SMUstangs22 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:24 am

We should have beat this team by 20. I know people said Jank lets players play but I didnt think he would give this much rope
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby papawasamustang » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:50 am

There's no way this team or last years team goes on the road & beats SC by 20 @ their house.

My hope is Jank gets a feel for style of play, rotations, etc., & by conference this team has it figured out & is a force. I think it will happen. Too much talent.

I really hope Jank turns them loose & lets them get it & go. Would love to see this group with a up tempo style of play. Have seen small samples & I love it.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:55 am

SMUstangs22 wrote:We should have beat this team by 20. I know people said Jank lets players play but I didnt think he would give this much rope

I agree. Last years team would have beaten them about as badly as they beat Stanford.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby mustang1992 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:58 am

SMUstangs22 wrote:We should have beat this team by 20. I know people said Jank lets players play but I didnt think he would give this much rope

I have not been enamored with him (Jank) that others seem to be. His record at North Texas was weak and Illinois State was ok (considering the competition), seems like they averaged about 3rd in the MVC.

SM is not as quick as NM and certainly does not have the floor presence that he had. We are missing a true 5 and it's going to show against teams that have height, this was a problem in the past as well. We compensated with this by passing well, everyone talked about how amazing SMU passing game was, that is missing (big time) this year. Perimeter D is a major weakness, again, it always has been. How many games in the past did teams rain 3s on us who were average 3 point shooting?

I hope they get some of these things corrected and soon, because so far we've looked pretty average.
mustang1992
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:07 pm

The two losses we have so far were expected. It would have been nice to close out USC last night, but those of you saying we would have stomped them probably don't follow college basketball. Stanford last season was a Pac-12 bottom dweller, while USC was an NCAA tournament team last season and will be again this season. Last year's team may have beaten this USC team, but it would have been close.
mustangxc

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:16 pm

mustangxc wrote:The two losses we have so far were expected. It would have been nice to close out USC last night, but those of you saying we would have stomped them probably don't follow college basketball. Stanford last season was a Pac-12 bottom dweller, while USC was an NCAA tournament team last season and will be again this season. Last year's team may have beaten this USC team, but it would have been close.

You expected to lose to USC. Okay. So I guess we should expect to lose to all tournament teams we play. We should beat TCU right?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby mustangxc » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:24 pm

NCAA tournament teams on the road are tough to beat. It would have been nice to have it in the books as a great resume builder but not realistic to expect it from this team. Arizona, UCLA, and other top PAC-12 teams will probably lose at USC.
mustangxc

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball