PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Estimated Crowd Tonight

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Estimated Crowd Tonight

Postby Red Horse » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:50 pm

While at the ticket office this morning, I asked what the estimate was for tonight. Between 5 and 6 thousand was the answer. I think they always over estimate so I will be happy if there are 4-5 thousand. If the students were here we might have had 6-7 thou.

I'm bringing 7 people to the game - hope all of our core of 1,500 maniacs will bring at least a couple of people.
Red Horse
Recruit

Re: Estimated Crowd Tonight

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:27 pm

My usual bring alongs are diehard Mavs fans and will be either at or watching the Toronto game tonight. They got rejuvenated after the Lakers win, so no chance to convince them to go to Moody tonight. 5K would be a decent crowd tonight.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:46 pm

Exactly HF, the Mavs fanatics will be cheering on their team after the Lakers win. I will be grabbing 4-5 friends however with toys in hand and hopefully grab a decent seat with 4-5K others.
Pony_Fan

Postby WorldStang » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:51 pm

I've got 8 friends coming with me to the game tonight. The same 8 that made it to the Tech game with me.. so would be nice to see SMU put up a good fight.

<small>[ 12-15-2003, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: WorldStang ]</small>
What we obtain too cheap.. we esteem too lightly. It is persistence alone that gives everything its value.
WorldStang
All-American

Postby PK » Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:12 pm

Don't have a bunch of basketball loving friends to bring to the game, but I will be there.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Stallion » Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:49 pm

at $35 per baseline ticket-they'll be lucky to get 4,000. That is an outrageous price that will turnoff yet another large segment of the Dallas fan base just like the TCU FB game and the Tech Basketball game. SMU a school that has accomplished close to ZERO in FB and BB in 15 years and should be ashamed of asking for those ticket prices. Special Kudos goes to the IDIOT and I mean you if you are reading this board that decided to charge all children full adult prices.

<small>[ 12-15-2003, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Stallion ]</small>
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:12 pm

I really dont understand that much of an increase. I'm a huge college bball fan and I wouldnt go to the game if I wasnt an alum. I have several huge college bball friends that I tried to get to go and they wont because of the prices, and I cant really blame them. They can play less to go see the Mavs and Chris Bosh play at the AAC. :no:

I predict 3500.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby PK » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:21 pm

Side line seats are $35 which is too rich for my blood, but baseline seats are $18 (which I don't think is so bad) and in Moody, those aren't bad seats. Plus, they have the special deal of seats for $5 and an unwrapped toy. So if you really want to go and support SMU, not to mention see Wake Forest play, there are reasonable ways to do so. So don't [deleted] when you missed seeing SMU beat Wake...you had opportunities.

<small>[ 12-15-2003, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: PK ]</small>
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:22 pm

Sorry I can't be there to cheer on the Mustangs tonite...a bit of drive from Houston to Dallas on weeknite. :( I'll be there 'in spirit'! GO MUSTANGS!
MrMustang1965

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:29 pm

Pk is right but most fans aren't going to go to the trouble of buying a toy for the $5 admittance. But you can buy the $20 seat and move to sit in a decent seat in the middle where people are not going to show on the SMU side.
Pony_Fan

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:29 pm

Well I think the cheapest Mavs ticket is $39. But we aint the Mavs. I agree that even $18 is too much to charge to attract casual fans. Tickets should be $10 and we should be begging people to come. The Texas Tech game I understood because we did not want to get run over by visiting fans and surrender the homecourt. I just don't think there are too many Wake fans in town.
Hoop Fan

Postby PK » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:43 pm

Originally posted by Hoop Fan:
Well I think the cheapest Mavs ticket is $39. But we aint the Mavs. I agree that even $18 is too much to charge to attract casual fans. Tickets should be $10 and we should be begging people to come. The Texas Tech game I understood because we did not want to get run over by visiting fans and surrender the homecourt. I just don't think there are too many Wake fans in town.
Hoop Fan, I take by your name you love basketball, so why is $20 to $25 dollars reasonable for football, but not reasonable for a basketball game against a ranked ACC team. Entertainment wise, I don't think $18 is over priced at all. In Dallas, I doubt you could get the casual fan in at even the $10 level, but SMU fans should be more than willing to spend that amount on this game.

BTW, when I picked up my ticket today, the guy at the ticket office said they had quite a lot of Wake fans buying tickets. WE NEED THE SMU FAITHFUL OUT TONIGHT TO MAKE SOME NOISE!!!
PK

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:51 pm

Who said $25 was reasonable for SMU football? Regardless, I think you have to realize this is Monday night, not Saturday afternoon. Second you have to realize you are playing opposite of the Mavericks at home. And as good as Wake Forest really is, they are not a crowd getter. They have not been to a Final Four recently and have no true marquee players that most people would know. Wake Forest is not Duke, not even close perception wise. $18 may be a "fair" price, it probably is, what I am saying is all things considered this game should have been promoted heavily with discount $10 tickets. The toy promo is nice, but ineffective I'm pretty sure without massive promotion.
Hoop Fan

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:58 pm

God I wish I didnt have school! Or atleast I had a car and I could drive up there tonight then come back! :( But nooooo I gotta stay here in L-View! argness!! OO well ya got me cheerin for ya Stangs!!

GO MUSTANGS!!! KEEP THAT STANG SPIRIT ALIVE!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby PK » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:01 pm

Hoop Fan, I'm really not trying to be argumentative and I understand what you are saying, but they did also have the deal on reduced tickets for groups of 10 or more...$18 sideline and $8 baseline, but they probably did not do enough promotion of it. BTW, Those $39 Mav tickets are in the nose bleed area, right? And binoculars are extra. :unsure:
PK

Next

Return to Basketball