PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Well that was sobering

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Well that was sobering

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:13 pm

-First of all, Shake and Semi better make sure their passports are up to date if they had any hopes of going pro after this season

-We're undersized. Last couple years we've been able to rely on Yanick, Cannen, Markus and Tolbert to provide either (a) height and/or (b) muscle down low. Ben Moore is a tweener 4 playing the 5 and while Semi is a freak athlete he doesnt really have a position. Froling will be a good player in due time but he needs to run 5 miles a day this offseason

-Senior leadership appears to be nonexistent. Ben Moore and Sterling need to step the [deleted] up and carry this team for stretches at a time. Seems like both have either flatlined or regressed since last year

-Emelogu is horrible. Just an awful basketball player. I dont know what happened at VT when he averaged 10ppg but it sure as hell didn't travel south with him. Given our scholarship sanction limitations, I'd hope he's playing elsewhere as a grad transfer in 17-18. He's been an albatross for far too long here

-Shake needs to grow a pair. I knew we'd miss Nic but I didn't realize it would be this bad. No assertiveness, no killer instinct, just seems like he's going through the motions out there

-Wilson and McDowell....jury is still out for their freshman year. Hope their grades are good for the APR in the meantime

-As for Jank, I'm not going to judge a coach 7 games in but that wasnt exactly the start we were hoping for. Offensively we're a wreck for long stretches at a time. Turnovers off in bounds play, shoddy defense, and too much Emelogu on the court

-We better win out for the rest of our OOC slate if we have any hopes of an at-large bid, and then make a nice run in conference play. More likely, we'll playing for our tournament lives in Hartford in March

Pony Up
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Well that was sobering

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:16 pm

I thought Ben Moore played very well in the second half.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:17 pm

Rebel10 wrote:I thought Ben Moore played very well in the second half.

Yeah, once he'd helped shovel that 20 point hole we were in to an average team, he woke up
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby 78pony » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:17 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:-First of all, Shake and Semi better make sure their passports are up to date if they had any hopes of going pro after this season

-We're undersized. Last couple years we've been able to rely on Yanick, Cannen, Markus and Tolbert to provide either (a) height and/or (b) muscle down low. Ben Moore is a tweener 4 playing the 5 and while Semi is a freak athlete he doesnt really have a position. Froling will be a good player in due time but he needs to run 5 miles a day this offseason

-Senior leadership appears to be nonexistent. Ben Moore and Sterling need to step the [deleted] up and carry this team for stretches at a time. Seems like both have either flatlined or regressed since last year

-Emelogu is horrible. Just an awful basketball player. I dont know what happened at VT when he averaged 10ppg but it sure as hell didn't travel south with him. Given our scholarship sanction limitations, I'd hope he's playing elsewhere as a grad transfer in 17-18. He's been an albatross for far too long here

-Shake needs to grow a pair. I knew we'd miss Nic but I didn't realize it would be this bad. No assertiveness, no killer instinct, just seems like he's going through the motions out there

-Wilson and McDowell....jury is still out for their freshman year. Hope their grades are good for the APR in the meantime

-As for Jank, I'm not going to judge a coach 7 games in but that wasnt exactly the start we were hoping for. Offensively we're a wreck for long stretches at a time. Turnovers off in bounds play, shoddy defense, and too much Emelogu on the court

-We better win out for the rest of our OOC slate if we have any hopes of an at-large bid, and then make a nice run in conference play. More likely, we'll playing for our tournament lives in Hartford in March

Pony Up

Gu couldn't start for NE Nebraska Lutheran. Ben and Sterling - wow. Did they go to Gu school this offseason.
78pony
Heisman

Postby lollaperuna » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:19 pm

Tourney is a pipe dream unless big changes occur.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby Pony81 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:24 pm

Spot on ECM.

Gu should be told to defend and dunk. But don't shoot jump shots.

I'm hoping for a wake up call. Last year they all waited for Nic to set things right. Now so far no one seems willing to be the guy.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:25 pm

Well said East Coast. What a sobering loss..

The Free Throw shooting. 10-22. That is the game. Even with how poorly we shot from 3 and 16 turnovers.

I know the starters all had poor games (Outside of Ben's nice 2nd half) they are good players. The REAL scary part is our bench has been atrocious this year. Ben E is Terrible. Like he is an absolute liability now. Turnovers, missed layups, you name it. The problem is Wilson and McDowell (without commenting on them long term) dont add anything at this point of their careers. Froling shows his potential, but still only add minimal contributions most of the time. We have NO bench. Gonna be tough for our starters to shoulder that load all season. We basically play 5 on 4 when Sterling, Shake, or Jarrey come out.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby 78pony » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:48 pm

Pony81 wrote:Spot on ECM.

Gu should be told to defend and dunk. But don't shoot jump shots.

I'm hoping for a wake up call. Last year they all waited for Nic to set things right. Now so far no one seems willing to be the guy.

Gu should be told:"there's the bus. Don't get on."
78pony
Heisman

Postby Dwan » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:06 am

Guys, this is a pretty brutal schedule for a team that lost its head coach and a lot of senior leadership. Growing pains are hard and they are compounded by this schedule. This schedule doesn't even compare to the last few years. We were playing a bunch of nobodys and some decent programs having down years the past few years. Starting out with teams like Pitt, Michigan, USC, and Boise State on the road is brutal. Hopefully the team grows through this. Certainly has been disappointing but not unexpected.
Dwan
Heisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:17 am

Elvis has left the buildings
It is sobering as if we needed another hit...
One Trick Pony

Postby skyscraper » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:06 am

lol at Boise being some type of test. That was a very doable road win.
skyscraper

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:30 am

After each loss this season, I have said; I'm tapping the brakes and adjusting my expectations. With the crap show last night, I am just dropping anchor. The next time Ben Eboli tries to shoot, we need to have someone tackle him. :evil:
ALEX LIFESON

Well that was sobering

Postby TidePony » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:29 am

I'm glad we were putting up our Christmas Tree last night, or I would of been nasty after reading about the game here.
Last edited by TidePony on Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:43 am

ALEX LIFESON wrote:After each loss this season, I have said; I'm tapping the brakes and adjusting my expectations. With the crap show last night, I am just dropping anchor. The next time Ben Eboli tries to shoot, we need to have someone tackle him. :evil:

Yeah the losses just keep getting worse.

As for Ben E he is unplayable right now.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mustangxc » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:11 pm

No way around it, that was a bad loss. That was absolutely a must win game for a tournament bound team. Unless something drastic happens I don't think we will be in the NCAA tournament.
mustangxc

Next

Return to Basketball