PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2016 Recruiting Class...what could have been

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2016 Recruiting Class...what could have been

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:50 pm

lollaperuna wrote:Yeah lets blame this cluster on Larry.... lol

Hey Larry put the program on the map in 2013-14 but he also recruited Frazier, lied about his academic fraud to the NCAA, didnt make guys go to class, and brought Emelogu here. He's not above criticism
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:51 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Whitt is a nice player but is working on improving his jumper. We will be a a shorter team next year. Douglas is players with a scoring reputation.

Not that short if we go...

Froling 6-11
Semi 6-7
Jarrey 6-6
Shake 6-6
Whitt 6-3

That should be the starting 5 next year, bring Douglas as 6th man, the better of Ray/Chargois as backup big off the bench along with Landrum spelling the PG position. Hopefully at least one of Wilson or McDowell will pick up there play.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:51 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:I agree ManX they aren't a dime a dozen, I would have settled for a 6'9 really good physical big. I understand why we took Ray and Chargois, because we needed bigs and they both have upside just wish we had waited a little longer to take Ray and maybe kept looking. I also heard Ray looks much improved, stronger, good on D, and the glass.

HoopManX what is your take on the 4 commits and Jimmy Whitt?

I like the kids we have committed and Whitt. I'm just not sure they offer enough relief early enough. I less concerned w personnel than playing a style that fits the roster. This team isn't meant to plod.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby lollaperuna » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:58 pm

Hey Larry put the program on the map in 2013-14 but he also recruited Frazier, lied about his academic fraud to the NCAA, didnt make guys go to class, and brought Emelogu here. He's not above criticism

I thought we were talking about embarrassing losses that are happening right now.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:01 am

lollaperuna wrote:

I thought we were talking about embarrassing losses that are happening right now.

Well...one of the biggest issues is the fact we have pretty shoddy bench play right now. no one made you click on this topic by the way
East Coast Mustang

Postby lollaperuna » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:04 am

We traded a Hall of Fame coach for a NIT coach. It is what it is.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:06 am

That is the biggest problem in my mind. We can correct some of the others, but we have no guard subs right now and Fro is a year away, but should get better as the season goes on.
Last edited by PonyLawExpress on Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:06 am

lollaperuna wrote:

Our lack of bench is a huge reason we're losing and that's on Larrys sanctions. We'd have a true PG is Larry took Carsen or didn't run off Sed etc. Style of play is all on Jank
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:07 am

hoopmanx wrote:
lollaperuna wrote:I thought we were talking about embarrassing losses that are happening right now.

Our lack of bench is a huge reason we're losing and that's on Larrys sanctions. We'd have a true PG is Larry took Carsen or didn't run off Sed etc. Style of play is all on Jank

Ding Ding Ding
East Coast Mustang

Postby lollaperuna » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:10 am

A team that doesn't have a clue is what is all on Jank.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:18 am

lollaperuna wrote:A team that doesn't have a clue is what is all on Jank.

There is plenty of blame to go around between Jank's poor offensive style choices and LB's poor personnel decisions and helping land us on sanctions. Agree w/ ECM and ManX a few of our misses last year (that we easily could/should have taken) would be huge helps right now rather than McDowell and Wilson. Blows my mind.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:19 am

He's forced to give significant minutes off the bench to a guard combo of Emelogu/Wilson/McDowell. Larry didn't recruit a freshman big and coach him since Ben Moore in 2013. Not defending Jank, he's got a lot of work to do, but Larry didn't exactly leave him the keys to a Porsche here
East Coast Mustang

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:21 am

Rebel10 wrote:Whitt is a nice player but is working on improving his jumper. We will be a a shorter team next year. Douglas is players with a scoring reputation.

Not that short if we go...

Froling 6-11
Semi 6-7
Jarrey 6-6
Shake 6-6
Whitt 6-3

we lose a lot of athleticism and quickness with Froling startin even if he does lose some weight (also I was talking about overall team height). And their is still not a true point guard in the lineup. Whitt is better than what we have but he is not a major outside shooting threat at least not from his day at UA. And if Fro starts getting taken to the cleaners by more athletic bigs then we have 6'7 freshmen coming off the bench neither of whom are overly athletic. Losing Ben Moore and Sterling are going to hurt more than you think imo.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:29 am

Coach Brown is the reason we even made it to post season. He is the best coach we have had since the DP. We would probably be in worst shape if he had not come here and would have lesser talented players. I like Jank but so far it think his recruiting has been over rated not matter how you try to defend it it and I it may be about the same every year but I hope I am wrong about that.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:39 am

He's forced to give significant minutes off the bench to a guard combo of Emelogu/Wilson/McDowell. Larry didn't recruit a freshman big and coach him since Ben Moore in 2013. Not defending Jank, he's got a lot of work to do, but Larry didn't exactly leave him the keys to a Porsche here

Jank was here recruiting with LB and had a lot of input on this class. Bottom line is we over hyped this recruiting class imo saying Wilson was a point guard because he played point on the Australian national team ad nauseam. And that is not the kid's fault. I think he will be okay but not what you think. And thought Fro was more ready than he really was. I think Fro will turn out to be a serviceable big but not the player you think he will be Imo.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball