PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jank's Recruiting

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jank's Recruiting

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:21 pm

Gotcha.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:40 pm

Somewhat random but I'm thinking Chargois is taller than his listed height of 6'7"...here he is next to Blake Griffin (who's listed at 6'10")...Chargois looks like he might be a shade taller

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CjrSlT-XEAAu2jB.jpg
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:29 pm

Let's hope so.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby hoopmanx » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:18 pm

Unless we're talking about the top 40 kids roughly, rankings are pretty hit and miss, if not irrelevant. People talk about waiting on Ray, but we moved his OV up, just so he wouldn't trip to Cowtown. We beat them straight up for the kid.

Admittedly, Dixon is a good coach and his staff is chock full of recruiters, but one if not two, won't be there in a year or two, see SMU and Snacks And Ulric. Their class is good, but it's redundant w/a few potential non qualifiers.

We have skilled kids coming in, that should be the least of this fanbases concern.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:20 pm

hoopmanx wrote:Unless we're talking about the top 40 kids roughly, rankings are pretty hit and miss, if not irrelevant. People talk about waiting on Ray, but we moved his OV up, just so he wouldn't trip to Cowtown. We beat them straight up for the kid.

Admittedly, Dixon is a good coach and his staff is chock full of recruiters, but one if not two, won't be there in a year or two, see SMU and Snacks And Ulric. Their class is good, but it's redundant w/a few potential non qualifiers.

We have skilled kids coming in, that should be the least of this fanbases concern.

Didn't you also say that Shake would be a better point guard than Nic because Nic had some limitations?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby hoopmanx » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:29 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:Unless we're talking about the top 40 kids roughly, rankings are pretty hit and miss, if not irrelevant. People talk about waiting on Ray, but we moved his OV up, just so he wouldn't trip to Cowtown. We beat them straight up for the kid.

Didn't you also say that Shake would be a better point guard than Nic because Nic had some limitations?

In the right system, I believe Shakes ceiling is huge at PG. I don't believe we're using him correctly at all, at this point. I feel bad bagging on Nic, cause I love the kid, but his jump shot and willingness to take the big shot, made people forget he had major limitations, both physically and in his game. The book isn't written on Shake at PG, but A change of pace would have been nice.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony81 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:28 pm

The fan base needs to support the team through this transition . Not bail at the first whiff of trouble. My God people lets show up and support this team. End of the season we can make some informed comments.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:48 pm

The biggest thing that would help Shake right now is a true backup. Watching him play in the first half, he feels like the world is on his shoulders and is afraid to screw up. And he is too much of a team guy to shoot himself hot. You could see he was struggling with the feel of his shot, but the only way you will get that feel back is to either keep shooting or play aggressive and get to the line. I think with some more experience he will learn that we need him to take charge and get himself back in a rhythm. Almost too much of a team guy right now.
JasonB

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:27 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:Somewhat random but I'm thinking Chargois is taller than his listed height of 6'7"...here he is next to Blake Griffin (who's listed at 6'10")...Chargois looks like he might be a shade taller

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CjrSlT-XEAAu2jB.jpg

I asked a friend of mine who works for a scouting service how tall Chargois was now and he told me that from what he has seen and been told (by Chargois) he is a legit 6'8, not to far from 6'9 now.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:39 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:And I think we only have 2 scholarships to give next year.

Really need to make them count. Need a good big and a good Guard. Can't settle. Would love to get Grayson Carter.

I hope we force some attrition, at least with Gu, to potentially open up more spots.

Froling's little brother, Sam Froling is in the 2018 class. Looks to be thinner and more athletic than Harry. Already has Texas and TCU offers
East Coast Mustang

Postby deucetz » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:03 pm

I don't know why we haven't offered him. Its a position of need.
deucetz
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:06 pm

deucetz wrote:I don't know why we haven't offered him. Its a position of need.

I bet we have and its just not reported yet. He's supposedly better than Harry was at the same age
East Coast Mustang

Postby deucetz » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:32 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
deucetz wrote:I don't know why we haven't offered him. Its a position of need.

I bet we have and its just not reported yet. He's supposedly better than Harry was at the same age

At least at the time of this video, he said he didn't have an offer. Hopefully, that has changed.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball ... am-froling
deucetz
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:45 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
PonyLawExpress wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:And I think we only have 2 scholarships to give next year.

Really need to make them count. Need a good big and a good Guard. Can't settle. Would love to get Grayson Carter.

I hope we force some attrition, at least with Gu, to potentially open up more spots.

Froling's little brother, Sam Froling is in the 2018 class. Looks to be thinner and more athletic than Harry. Already has Texas and TCU offers

I like Sam Frolings tape. My only worry with him is having to many alike bigs. Him, Harry and Chargois are all stretch forwards. None of them are near the athletes that Semi and Ben are and we won't have either by the time the 2018 class rolls around. Would like to add a '18 guy who has skill, but also plays above the rim and can attack.

Not saying I don't want Sam Froling, but is something to consider.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:01 am

PonyLawExpress wrote:I like Sam Frolings tape. My only worry with him is having to many alike bigs. Him, Harry and Chargois are all stretch forwards. None of them are near the athletes that Semi and Ben are and we won't have either by the time the 2018 class rolls around. Would like to add a '18 guy who has skill, but also plays above the rim and can attack.

Not saying I don't want Sam Froling, but is something to consider.

I see what you're saying but skilled 6-10 guys dont come around every day...I think you grab the best bigs you can get; you can always coach them up with post moves (and Sam's look decent already in some tape I saw).
East Coast Mustang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball