PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jank's Recruiting

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jank's Recruiting

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:20 am

I keep forgetting about Sam.

Has anyone watched Lauri Markkenen play for Arizona?

We need THAT!
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:19 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:I keep forgetting about Sam.

Has anyone watched Lauri Markkenen play for Arizona?

We need THAT!

Yeah that guy is really good. I would love to have A guy who is that big, skilled, fluid and can rebound but those are very hard to come by.

He's gonna be a top 10 pick after this year.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:46 pm

I will say that Jank needs to land two top prospects in 2018. Im not saying that McDowell and Wilson are busts, but they don't seem like they will be stars or high level starters (at this point), unless they make lots of improvement. Both could be solid players for us just dont see them being stars or high level starters.

In the 2017 class, its obviously to early to tell since they havent even made it to campus yet, but Douglas seems like he has the potential to be a high-end starter. Chargois has starting potential. Landrum could. Ray seems more like a good bench sub, but obviously to early to know for sure.

My point is the only two guys in those '16 & '17 classes seem to have "star power" or be a high impact guys, which are Froling and Douglas. (Chargois or Landrum could) Guys can always take big jumps especially since they're young, but in hoops stars usually show themselves early or at least glimpses (like Froling past few games, Shake last year, even Ben and Sterling getting lots of quality minutes as frosh) early on.

I like our 2017 class. I think it fills our needs with two bigs, a athletic true PG who has alot of potential, and a real talented CG. I think we need to add a 2018 class that hits two homeruns or two Top 150 type players.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Grant Carter » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:53 pm

Don't forget Whitt.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:30 pm

Grant Carter wrote:Don't forget Whitt.

I like where you head is at. Whitt should be at least a quality starter and could be a star.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:20 pm

severely need the next rim rattler/rim protector like JT was
Pony ^

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:20 pm

severely need the next rim rattler/rim protector like JT was
Pony ^

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:43 pm

I am concerned about next year. We will have Shake and Semi (hopefully), Jarrey, Froling, Whitt, and what else? If the freshman cant play we will be in the same boat again
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:56 pm

SMUstangs22 wrote:I am concerned about next year. We will have Shake and Semi (hopefully), Jarrey, Froling, Whitt, and what else? If the freshman cant play we will be in the same boat again

Be stunned if we didn't have Semi and Shake back at this point. if none of the frosh can play we are the unluckiest team out there. I think we will be deeper next year.

I expect Douglas (4-star) to be ready to contribute a lot and I expect Chargois can give us Froling like minutes. Then we will see how Landrum and Ray look when they get here. Have to think one of Wilson or McDowell (at the least) will put in the offseason work & will be ready to contribute off the bench next year.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby deucetz » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:01 pm

The only issue I can see for Semi is him doing the grad transfer thing or just going overseas to make money. He could go to Vandy, Northwestern, Stanford and Notre Dame for his last year of eligibility.
deucetz
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:35 pm

deucetz wrote:The only issue I can see for Semi is him doing the grad transfer thing or just going overseas to make money. He could go to Vandy, Northwestern, Stanford and Notre Dame for his last year of eligibility.

I could see him doing that if he were not starting here. But he is and will probably stay here.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:39 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:
SMUstangs22 wrote:I am concerned about next year. We will have Shake and Semi (hopefully), Jarrey, Froling, Whitt, and what else? If the freshman cant play we will be in the same boat again

Be stunned if we didn't have Semi and Shake back at this point. if none of the frosh can play we are the unluckiest team out there. I think we will be deeper next year.

I expect Douglas (4-star) to be ready to contribute a lot and I expect Chargois can give us Froling like minutes. Then we will see how Landrum and Ray look when they get here. Have to think one of Wilson or McDowell (at the least) will put in the offseason work & will be ready to contribute off the bench next year.

With Ben and Sterling gone 22 has a legitimate concern. The incoming freshmen are an unknown until they play in a college game. That is not good or bad but it is the truth.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:42 pm

I am still holding out hope our freshies this year will show a lot by the time we get into conference play and give us the depth next year we need.

I have no doubt Froling will, but obviously Wilson and McDowell need to step it up big time this spring.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:03 pm

Assuming no attrition we'll go twelve deep next year...speaking of grad transfers, hopefully one guy does that next year and his last name rhymes with Omelegu. That would put us at 11 which would be in good shape for scholarships because we need to shave 7 over three years....3 this year and then I think 2 each of the next 2.

I'm thinking the rotation could look something like this:

Froling
Semi
Jarrey
Shake
Whitt
-------------
Chargois
Ray
McDowell
Wilson
Douglas
Landrum

We'd be deeper obviously and Whitt and Shake in the backcourt would be, based on recruiting rankings, one of the most talented backcourts anywhere outside of the blue blood programs. Froling will benefit mightily from an offseason S&C program. We'd be looking to Semi, Shake, and Jarrey as our leaders/guys to step up and make plays when we need them. The bench would be young but at least we'd have enough bodies to throw out there. When Semi or Ben picks up a third foul at any point now I start cursing in my head. I think we'll be better next year honestly
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:25 pm

I hope so but that is also a very young team. I hope there is a grad transfer that rhymes with shmelegu but I am not sure we would give up the scholarship. After this year we have 2 years to give 4. We are awfully young.

Speaking of young that is a VERY young team listed. Esp if Semi leaves. Just pains me to think about the guys we missed on or passed up.

Really the true Jank test is this years class and that isn't even fair with LB leaving when he did. Perhaps 2018 class as well.

On the flip side one day if Jank cant hang we probably have much better coaching options than pre LB
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball