PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jank's Recruiting

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Jank's Recruiting

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:48 am

I hope he can land about 2 or 3 classes in a row than are solid top 35 classes because if not just remember that Semi graduates next year. I hope he does it.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Jank's Recruiting

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:32 am

It's a very good recruiting staff. Not worried about that. Really not worried about Semi graduating either. He puts up stats, but not sure he helps you win. He doesn't know what type of player he is
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:49 am

Rebel10 wrote:I hope he can land about 2 or 3 classes in a row than are solid top 35 classes because if not just remember that Semi graduates next year. I hope he does it.

As HoopManX says we have a good recruiting staff. Shake and Semi should obviously see they need another year at SMU, unless Semi just want to go to Europe or something having them back next year will be big.

I think it will be key going forward to keep getting solid transfers like (Tolbert, Semi, Whitt) to supplement our recruiting classes. I hope we force some attrition this summer so we can sign 2-3 2018 guys rather than 1, maybe 2.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Ponyneighbor » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:51 pm

It seems like a legit concern. I know folks on the board are high on the 2017 class, but I can't escape the reality that you can't expect to be a top-25 team if the players you are recruiting are ~#50 in the nation at their position (unless your coach is a magician, which the early returns do not seem to imply).
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:04 pm

Ponyneighbor wrote:It seems like a legit concern. I know folks on the board are high on the 2017 class, but I can't escape the reality that you can't expect to be a top-25 team if the players you are recruiting are ~#50 in the nation at their position (unless your coach is a magician, which the early returns do not seem to imply).

I think you stick to the formula that has worked in the past. Need to sign a class ranked around 35-50 (keep getting Shake, Douglas, Froling, Sterling like 4-star's) and keep getting top notch transfers like (Semi, Whitt, etc.). The transfers really supplement a class and moves it up from where it is actually ranked.

Once Jank can show he can consistently win here and we send some guys to the NBA our classes should move up to Top 20-40. We really need to keep getting real solid transfers. I think thats how you can have a top 25 team.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:10 pm

And I think we only have 2 scholarships to give next year.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:25 pm

Rebel10 wrote:And I think we only have 2 scholarships to give next year.

Really need to make them count. Need a good big and a good Guard. Can't settle. Would love to get Grayson Carter.

I hope we force some attrition, at least with Gu, to potentially open up more spots.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:28 pm

We need a transfer big to fall into our lap. Or two.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:58 pm

Look at it this way..next year we add: (I'm using 247 composite rankings)

Jimmy Whitt #68 overall player in the nation out of HS
William Douglas #113 overall player in 2017
Elijah Landrum #208 overall player in 2017
Ethan Chargois #240 overall player in 2017
Everett Ray #260 overall player in 2017

Couple that class with guys like Shake Milton (consensus 4 star), Semi (high 4 or 5 star depending on recruiting service), and Froling (4 star) and you've got plenty of talent...at least on paper.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:53 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Look at it this way..next year we add: (I'm using 247 composite rankings)

Couple that class with guys like Shake Milton (consensus 4 star), Semi (high 4 or 5 star depending on recruiting service), and Froling (4 star) and you've got plenty of talent...at least on paper.

Coach Brown really like Whitt when he was practicing with SMU after he transferred. Plenty of talent to do what? Make an NIT run or NCAA run?

Majority of the 2017 class is past 200. Let's hope things get better over the next few classes or that could be a concern.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:24 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:Look at it this way..next year we add: (I'm using 247 composite rankings)

Coach Brown really like Whitt when he was practicing with SMU after he transferred. Plenty of talent to do what? Make an NIT run or NCAA run?

Majority of the 2017 class is past 200. Let's hope things get better over the next few classes or that could be a concern.

To an extent this is how most of the AAC recruits, (right now this class is 2nd in AAC) but I do agree that I would like to see another Top 150 guy instead of one of the 200's. That would be ideal. We need to keep grabbing high end transfers as well, really raises the class to a much higher level than ranked, as ECM is showing. Cincy and UConn grab high end transfers too. I think Chargois is underrated.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:00 pm

Transfers don't raise the level of a class but they either help or don't help the team. GU was highly regarded as as transfer and so was Martin. Jank has not gotten a transfer during his short time as head coach. Now that is not good or bad we just have to wait and see if he goes after transfers and how they end up working out for him. Also if our class was number 2 in the AAC it has to be because of shear numbers of signees.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:04 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Transfers don't raise the level of a class but they either help or don't help the team. GU was highly regarded as as transfer and so was Martin. Jank has not gotten a transfer during his short time as head coach. Now that is not good or bad we just have to wait and see if he goes after transfers and how they end up working out for him. Also if our class was number 2 in the AAC it has to be because of shear numbers of signees. Can you reference where this 2017 class was number 2?

We're not really in a position to take more transfers with the scholarship restrictions.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:09 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Transfers don't raise the level of a class but they either help or don't help the team. GU was highly regarded as as transfer and so was Martin. Jank has not gotten a transfer during his short time as head coach. Now that is not good or bad we just have to wait and see if he goes after transfers and how they end up working out for him. Also if our class was number 2 in the AAC it has to be because of shear numbers of signees.

We're not really in a position to take more transfers with the scholarship restrictions.

Right, for now we are going to have to rely on good ole fashion recruiting. And since the AAC is not doing that well this year AAC comparisons do not really say much. And Dixon at TCU has out recruited SMU in the 2017. Looks like Dixon has some quality bigs coming in as well as a highly regarded shooting guard. The already have 2 quality point guards on the team now. We really need to beat them.

http://tcu.247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/Commits

It is going to be fun to watch Douglas and Nembhard battle each other at shooting guard for the next few years,
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:57 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Transfers don't raise the level of a class but they either help or don't help the team. GU was highly regarded as as transfer and so was Martin. Jank has not gotten a transfer during his short time as head coach. Now that is not good or bad we just have to wait and see if he goes after transfers and how they end up working out for him. Also if our class was number 2 in the AAC it has to be because of shear numbers of signees.

Right, for now we are going to have to rely on good ole fashion recruiting. And since the AAC is not doing that well this year AAC comparisons do not really say much. And Dixon at TCU has out recruited SMU in the 2017. Looks like Dixon has some quality bigs coming in as well as a highly regarded shooting guard. The already have 2 quality point guards on the team now. We really need to beat them.

http://tcu.247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/Commits

It is going to be fun to watch Douglas and Nembhard battle each other at shooting guard for the next few years,

We are gonna have to rely on recruiting in this class and the next class. Couldn't agree more that I wish we had gotten another 4-star type player in this class (wait on Ray and try to land a big fish big man). Also, totally agree that we REALLY need to beat TCU to slow down their momentum and keep control of DFW.

I really wanted Nembhard. I've seen him play a few times and he is a good player. Softens the blow that we got Douglas. Will be fun to watch them dual it out. Our class is 3rd in avg. rank and 2nd in total points according to composite ranks. We have one of the 3 4-Star commits in the AAC (down year in recruiting outside of UConn).

I was talking about transfers as future guys like after this class, not right now. Transfers can be busts just like signees. Just saying we don't sign many top 75 guys, so its a way to supplement a recruiting class (or your roster), from time-to-time.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball