PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Baylor

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Baylor

Postby 50's PONY » Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:01 am

Sports

San Jac guard chooses Baylor
By JOHN WERNER Tribune-Herald staff writer
San Jacinto College point guard Jihad Muhammad has made a verbal commitment to play for the Baylor men's basketball team.

Muhammad, a 6-0 sophomore, is considered one of the top junior college point guards in the country. Last year, he averaged 16.5 points as San Jacinto reached the NJCAA championship game.

Muhammad said he was impressed by Baylor coach Scott Drew and his staff, and isn't concerned about the basketball program's two-year probation since the postseason ban is only for this season.

"I like it at Baylor because the coaching staff is family-oriented," Muhammad said. "But part of my decision is based on the chance to play quickly."

Muhammad, who plans to sign with Baylor during the NCAA spring signing period in April, is averaging 12.1 points for this year's San Jacinto squad that is 12-0 and ranked No. 1 in the nation. Muhammad is a native of Plainfield, N.J.

"Jihad has gotten some good experience here because he's played for a national championship," said San Jacinto coach Scott Gernander. "He's a good outside shooter who can also get to the basket. He's small, but very quick. "

The addition of Muhammad makes Baylor's recruiting class No. 14 in the country for the 2004 school year, according to HoopScoop magazine.

In November, Baylor signed 7-0 center Mamadou Diene from Senegal and 6-2 guard Aaron Bruce from Australia. Diene is rated the top NBA prospect in Africa and the sixth-best international prospect.

Tim Bush, a 6-6 transfer from LSU, will enroll at Baylor in January and will be eligible to play following the 2004 fall semester.

Baylor also has verbal commitments from junior guard Rashad Woods and sophomore forward Chris Rocquemore from Heritage Christian Academy in Cleveland, Texas. Woods will be eligible to sign with Baylor in November 2004, while Rocquemore will be eligible to sign in 2005.

John Werner can be reached at jwerner@wacotrib.com or at 757-5716.
Email this page to a friend

© 2003 Cox Newspapers, Inc. - The Waco Tribune-Herald

By using this service, you accept the terms of our visitor agreement and privacy policy.
Registered site users, you may edit your profile.
50's PONY
Heisman

Re: Baylor

Postby JasonB » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:12 am

Too many jokes to count concerning a Jihad at a Baptist school...
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Sam I Am » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:18 am

I am amazed that the new Bayulor coach has been able to win any games at all this year after the team suffered 50% losses of personnel. I hope he does well. No one has ever dared ask what did Bliss do when he was at SMU. We couldn't stand to know. Consequently, I have sympathized with what the Bears have gone through. But let's beat them any way in every sport when we can.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby KnuckleStang » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:49 am

I also read where one of their better players, Kidd Jr., was dismissed from the team this week (unspecified team rule violation). I believe he was a guard and was averaging something like 13 a game. So they definitely need guards.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:55 am

Drew is putting together a pretty nice group of players. They could surprise some people in a couple of years.

On the negative side, Ellis Kidd, Jr. was dismissed from the team for violating team policy on Tuesday. Kidd, a Dallas product, was one of their leading scorers and the starting PG.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Johnny Rock » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:41 pm

Again, an example of our competition recruiting JUCO players. You can take this to the bank that the JUCO players will come in and make Baylor a winner quickly. How great would it be if Dement could recruit JUCO players to add with his high school recruits. Dement was so close to getting an NCAA bid with the Sasser lead group. A JUCO big man could have made the difference. However, Dement did not have that option.
Johnny Rock

Postby Waz » Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:21 pm

Ya know, if I was Dement and the only thing that was keeping me from becoming a great coach was the fact that my school wouldn't allow me to recruit JC's, I would beat feet in a hurry to a place where my true coaching abilities would be allowed to shine through.

Stallion, any scoop on the academics of Muhammad?
Waz
Junior Varsity

Postby No Cal Pony » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:17 am

Give me a break. Don't always put this back on the JUCO situation. Look at so many other schools do just fine without.

Time to look at our own hearts. The kids' hearts, and Dement. He's had time, and still hasn't been able to win.

Our team looks more and more like it is in the toilet. Aren't the kids tired of losing? I know in hs, (realizing this is a bit different than D1) I never accepting losing. As a 5' 9" 155 lb. linebacker, I gave EVERYTHING. MY teammates too. Result. 10 and 0 season. I don't expect perfect, but I sure expect more than some of what I've seen and heard.

Like football, our bball program, admin, and AD need to get it together.

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Return to Basketball