PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Froling

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Froling

Postby Lebanese4Life » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:50 pm

in b4 harry starts dominating at another D1 school
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby Junior » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:07 pm

whitwiki wrote:
smupony94 wrote:
whitwiki wrote:Guys don't run Wilson off. Every good team ever has the skinny white guy who rains threes and does nothing else. Wait till he's a senior. Wilson can be that guy!

Future Wilfrong?

Fa sho

Brian Boschee
Derail the Frogs!
Junior
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby deucetz » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:14 pm

Smulaw90 wrote:I don't get it. A year ago we are chanting, yelling and screaming for Harry. He gives us his commitment and comes to big D. Then LB turns his back on everyone he recruited and leaves. Harry comes and for whatever' reason (minutes, role, talent, homesick) it doesn't work out. Instead of saying "thank you", a good portion of us, hiding behind screen names and a computer, attack an 18 year old kid. WTH?

That should really help us with recruiting.....

I agree with this 100%

These are kids that are trying their best to do what's right for themselves--no matter how ill-advised it may seem.
deucetz
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:40 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:It appears obvious Froling chose SMU for the opportunity to work with Larry Brown and to enhance his chances of playing professionally some day. The question is whether Wilson is at SMU for the same reason or whether he values an education from SMU. If he came here to play for LB and hone his craft like Froling, we might just see a "mutual" parting of the ways after this season

Agreed. The fact that many thought he was considering leaving when Froling did wouldn't surprise me if he did at the end of the season. The thing that stops me is that he may just really want to play college ball and get better, which might make him want to stay since the transfer market for him probably isn't that large.

I was excited when we got Froling and hoped he was going to be good, but with how he played and it all shook out I don't think it will be a loss long term.

We haven't had an opportunity to see what Wilson could do given more minutes of PT and I'm sure there are plenty of schools that would love to have him...possibly as a starter. It all comes down to what he wants because the talent level at guard is going to remain strong at SMU with the guys coming in next year
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:16 pm

Marquette :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18447083/harry-froling-transferring-smu-mustangs-marquette-golden-eagles

SMU transfer Harry Froling is headed to Marquette.

The 6-foot-11 Australian told ESPN that he chose to play for coach Steve Wojciechowski after taking visits to both Marquette and Oregon State.

"The visit was great and the overall knowledge and past playing experience all of the coaches had was unbelievable," Froling told ESPN. "Most of not all had played pro or at high-level colleges, and I knew it was a place that was going to challenge me. By no means will it be easy, and being from Duke and with coach being tutored by Coach K (Mike Krzyzewski), he knows what it takes. Another thing I loved about the staff was how honest they were. They didn't tell me what I wanted to hear."

Froling averaged 4.3 points and 3.2 rebounds in 10 games this season. He will sit out and be eligible after the first semester next season.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:37 pm

So you left SMU to play for a disciple of a great coach who will be honest with you and tell you the truth, not what you wanted to hear?

Umm.... what?... Isnt that what you just left?.... I give up
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby ready4abowl » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:30 pm

https://twitter.com/hoopmanx/status/811045173123805184

The fact that he is going to Marquette, as did Tommy Callahan (Tommy Boy) is just too good. I wish I could make stuff like this up.
Restore the 80s Glory!
ready4abowl
Varsity

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:06 pm

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... den-eagles

According to dad it had everything to do with LB leaving and style of play....not lack of minutes. He pinned that on the PR dept.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:41 am

Reading those quotes from Shane pisses me off.
RGV Pony

Postby Grant Carter » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:42 am

RGV Pony wrote:Reading those quotes from Shane pisses me off.

Why does that [deleted] you off? If a player does not fit the style a new coach wants to play it is going to lead to fewer minutes in both the short term and over his career. Of course his dad is going to focus on the style of play and the change in coaches and not follow through to the implication that he will not get many minutes as he expected because of those two things.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:03 pm

Harry who? We haven't lost a game since he transferred. Why are we still talking about this?

Seriously, can we please move on. This feud between the Frolings and the SMU fanbase is kind of odd, considering that his sister still goes to school here, plays on the women's team, and by all accounts is a real asset.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Smulaw90 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:21 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:Harry who? We haven't lost a game since he transferred. Why are we still talking about this?

Seriously, can we please move on. This feud between the Frolings and the SMU fanbase is kind of odd, considering that his sister still goes to school here, plays on the women's team, and by all accounts is a real asset.

This^^^^^ is spot on.
Smulaw90
Junior Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:59 pm

The frustration is legitimate because when you give a commitment as a player, you should play it out until the end of the season. The frustration is also supplemented by the fact that we are hit with the ridiculous penalty of scholarship limitations causing us to have a very limited bench. So I understand some with "Why are you are attacking a kid" but we, at the end of the day, are criticizing him and his principles (or lack thereof). I put the aussies in the category of quitters more than anything else. I'm also good with making this my last point with Harry and hopefully the bad luck string of getting players who abandon the team or give us penalties (KF) end and we can start getting quality and loyal players from now on.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:16 pm

I'm all for that. Between all the guys LB recruited that we couldn't get into school, and all the transfers the last couple of years, I'm ready for a class that actually gets to campus and stays for longer than 60 days.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:17 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:I'm all for that. Between all the guys LB recruited that we couldn't get into school, and all the transfers the last couple of years, I'm ready for a class that actually gets to campus and stays for longer than 60 days.

....and stays eligible.

My feeling is that after getting all jacked about recruiting wins then it's fair game to call out a kid when he doesn't hold up his end of the deal.The Aussies were here for a good 15 minutes. One was out of shape unless you refer to his twitter finger. Both had a ways to go development wise. I don't/didn't expect either to show anything close to advertised potential until well into this season. For whatever reason both abandoned ship after a semester. Had they lasted out the year I'd feel differently and, if they played into or towards their advertised potential THEY would probably feel better about staying. But even if they left after freshman year and a full season I'd feel differently than I do today. If they didn't want to be here I'm happy they left...but not giving it an honest shot gives them no cred in my book.

Sed? By all accounts he was never going to get a shot. I can't throw any shade his way regardless of what he does in the future.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball