PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Extremely discouraging night at Moody.....

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Extremely discouraging night at Moody.....

Postby youngalumpony » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:42 pm

The team had very little energy at the start and never really got into the game, defense was VERY POOR in the second half, couldn't get any stops. 3 point shot killed us, as usual, and the offense was often erratic and out of control, though Hopkins did shoot alot better than he did Monday. Finally, the crowd was PATHETIC, the few people that were there were not into the game at all. Certainly a rough and embarrassing night for SMU....
youngalumpony
Junior Varsity

Re: Extremely discouraging night at Moody.....

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:14 am

ah dement... he's just so.. consistent.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:55 am

that's right, blame this on Dement. He just couldn't "fire up the boys". It sure would be nice to have a home court advantage like most teams enjoy. And Bobby Knight complains that only 6200 came out to watch TTech in a recent game. Can't find anyone to support these guys. Even when we charge only $1. We might have the worst (lack of) fan support of any Division I program in the country.

Long live the 1500
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Red Horse » Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:24 am

We just can't seem to play with a lead. We got an 11 or 12 point lead at times, and we immediately would play lazy defense. We have no killer instinct and let people back into games.

ASU played harder than we did. If you could point to any one thing that beat us - you would probably have to say "rebounding on the defensive board." We gave up a ton of rebounds to a smaller team. We didn't block out well or position well.

Very discouraging. This loss coupled with the San Diego loss are going to hurt us badly. It's too soon to give up on this team. They show better teamwork and great athleticism and some depth. Castro appears to be the most improved, and even though Simpson is playing well, he needs to improve his intensity level. Miller is improved but needs better shot selection. Our two frosh (Bennett & Pearson) appear to defer to our upperclassmen too much - they should get more assertive and take shots when they have them.

Good luck to the Mustangs in the Purdue tournament this weekend. They play Miami (Ohio) on Saturday and if they win probably Purdue on Sunday - both are afternoon games. I'd be happy with a split and ecstatic with two wins.

Go Mustangs!
Red Horse
Recruit

Postby TacoPony » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:46 am

CP, I guess you're in Charleston... do you know what it's like to try to remain excited for 2 hours, getting up and hooting and hollering, only to see dumb turnovers and sloppy, sometimes lackadaisical play, time and time again? For about half the game, the team is typically exciting, and for about half the game, I typically find myself scratching my head and wondering why we don't know how to play basketball, especially on offense. Sure, you can handle this once in a while, but eventually, like over 7 or 8 years... it's like a broken record.
I don't blame the fans who get discouraged by the minor-league play and stay home. the fans have shown they will come out to see a good team... one that can beat the poor teams and play competitively agains the good teams. I'm not sure if we have that this year.
I don't mind Dement so much... I feel spoiled that we can count on 17-18 wins per year including a vast majority of home games. But now it's so predictable... we will get 15-17 wins this year, win most home games, and not make the post-season. Even if that's "okay", it's the same thing all over again... where's the intrigue, where's the excitement? It's not there.
TacoPony
Scout Team

Postby WreckEm16 » Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:29 pm

Maybe you could schedule 10 or 12 home games with Tech a year. As much as you complain about Bob Knight, he seems to be the only thing capable of selling out Moody.

Also, based on experience from earlier this year it couldn't be bad for SMU's win/loss record. :)
And when I die<BR>You can bury me<BR>In Lubbock, Texas,<BR>In my jeans.<P>-Mac Davis
WreckEm16
Junior Varsity

Return to Basketball