PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Fire Dement Now!!!!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Fire Dement Now!!!!

Postby Johnny Rock » Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:29 am

Even the 'half full' kind-of-people have to agree with me on this one. It is time for a new basketball coach. I have been saying this for two years. Dement sucks. Any momentum we had by beating Texas Tech is lost. We have two embarrsing losses this year--San Diego and App. St. and the season is young. This is not acceptable. Is their a Commitment? Or is that something Copeland and Turner came up with to bilk the alumni out of more money? Act now and get rid of this guy. We will go no where as a program until Dement is gone.
Johnny Rock

Re: Fire Dement Now!!!!

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:58 am

Copeland and Turner were there at their mid court seats - they saw the attendance and performance...I wish I knew what they were thinking. Dement is mediocre and I am not a fan and 0-22 against Top 25 is ridiculous.

I certainly wouldn't renew his contract but it's an administration problem like we've been saying for a long time - we need JC's (Big Men) and that won't change unless a REAL committment is made. If our team doesn't make the post season next year, I am not sure we will for a long while. Simpson/Castro/Isham are seniors..
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby wilthestilt » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:08 am

SMU pays $30K/player..............ASU pays $7K/player. Is there something wrong here?
wilthestilt

Postby Dukie » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:19 am

I couldn't agree more that Dement needs to go. App State is a laughingstock. Their 5-5 record includes a loss to St. Francis, a 1-5 (note the "1") team that has itself lost to William & Mary a (mid- to lower-tier Colonial Athletic [deleted]'n team), St. Peter's (?), and Binghamton (?). With the exception of a three-point home win over George Washington (and GW appears to have taken App State lightly after beating them by 14 a week earlier), they haven't come within single digits of any respectable team they've faced. Meanwhile, San Diego has just fallen to 2-7, following their 20-point loss to UC-Santa Barbara (UCSB joins Oakland, UC-Irvine, Coppin State, Creighton, San Diego State, and Utah as teams that did what Mike Dement's team couldn't). Shoot, Oakland, Coppin State, and Creighton beat San Diego by a combined 74 points.

Mike Dement is a fairly good recruiter, and he wins slightly more games than he loses (primarily because he really loads up on scheduling the San Diegos and App States of the world). That just can't be good enough anymore.

If you want a laugh, go read Dement's bio on smumustangs.com. About halfway down, it describes SMU's "run" to the WAC semis as "continu[ing] to make [SMU's] name as one of the toughest postseason teams in the nation." It would be funny if it weren't so sad.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:28 am

Hey Dukie, are you going to the Navy game on December 31?
With regard to comments about Dement, as I said last year, this is a make or break year for the guy. We need to get to the post season, no if ands or buts about it. No excuses, no young team blather. Yes, he can kind of recruit a national calibre player every so often, but I agree this type of loss is unacceptable. He now needs to pull off an upset at Purdue, and then go on a big run in the WAC. The only team that will get a NCAA bid from the WAC is the WAC tournament champion. So maybe he's holding his water and ammo for the conference play. But he'd better get the troops fired up, quick.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby TacoPony » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:33 am

How about hiring an "offensive coordinator" type of assistant coach... we need some offensive genius to fix that side of the ball. In the NBA, teams have done that, but I'm not sure about NCAA.
TacoPony
Scout Team

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:46 am

I don’t think offense is our problem. I have never seen a team that gives up as many easy 3s as we do.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby TacoPony » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:52 am

last night for most of the game, the only way ApSU hurt us was by hitting 3's. I'm was pleading for the defense to extend, and leave the middle for Castro and Simpson to defend. But they didn't, they kept giving the mountaineers the space they needed to hit the 3's. Down the stretch even our interior defense failed and we gave up a lot of points in the paint and free throws. I didn't understand how they could dominate us inside...
TacoPony
Scout Team

Postby Dukie » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:03 am

Originally posted by EastStang:
Hey Dukie, are you going to the Navy game on December 31?
Nope; I moved to Austin about a month ago. So unless SMU ever gets on UT's schedule again, my game-watching will be limited to whenever I'm in Dallas. Before this season started, I would have agreed with you about Dement either making the post-season or getting the can, but I've changed my mind; Dement doesn't prepare his team, and he doesn't motivate his team. He never has. Thank him for his service and send him on his way.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:37 am

Originally posted by TacoPony:
last night for most of the game, the only way ApSU hurt us was by hitting 3's. I'm was pleading for the defense to extend, and leave the middle for Castro and Simpson to defend. But they didn't, they kept giving the mountaineers the space they needed to hit the 3's. Down the stretch even our interior defense failed and we gave up a lot of points in the paint and free throws. I didn't understand how they could dominate us inside...
I was thinking the same thing. Why not play a 2-3 or a man defense. They have no big men although Thomas plays like he is 7'2 against us. Without the 3's, they don't win...why let them take them at all? Miller was a complete liability on defense guarding Brown down the stretch.

For those who were there: it was 82-80 I think and we had 11 sec on shot clock. Out of a time out - We inbound the ball and it seemed like nobody knew what to do?? Isham shoots an air ball. Nice play Dement.

<small>[ 12-19-2003, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: Pony_Fan ]</small>
Pony_Fan

Postby Mike Damone » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:12 pm

Just for the record, Mike Jarvis got fired at St. Johns today. Great coach, been successful, african-american, would look good at SMU.
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby Waz » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:20 pm

Makes you wonder why he couldn't get it done at St John's though. He has a great track record and success at every stop, until St John's. Wonder if the coaching flame doesn't burn as bright as it once did. St. John's certainly has the tradition.
Waz
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:22 pm

Originally posted by Dukie:
Originally posted by EastStang:
[b] Hey Dukie, are you going to the Navy game on December 31?
Nope; I moved to Austin about a month ago. So unless SMU ever gets on UT's schedule again, my game-watching will be limited to whenever I'm in Dallas. Before this season started, I would have agreed with you about Dement either making the post-season or getting the can, but I've changed my mind; Dement doesn't prepare his team, and he doesn't motivate his team. He never has. Thank him for his service and send him on his way. [/b]
Any reason why we can't schedule UT in hoops? Will they NOT play us? They play some crappy schools already..Centenary, UTA, Sam Houston..
Pony_Fan

Return to Basketball