PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Turnover Monster

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The Turnover Monster

Postby M Street Stang » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:17 am

The popular belief on this board was that our 20+ turnovers vs. Wake were because Wake is a good team, with good athletes, and they overplayed the passing lanes. I went along with that. How do you explain last night? ASU is a marginal 5-5 team. We turn the ball over too much to go anywhere this year.
M Street Stang
Scout Team

Re: The Turnover Monster

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:40 am

The most discouraging thing about last night was the attendance. There might have been 750-800 people there. A couple of times I saw the ASU players and coaches looking in the stands wondering if this is really all the fans that were going to show up. That is embarrassing. I believe marketing is doing their best, its just that we have the most apathetic alums in division 1. Maybe we just need to give it up. :thumbdown:
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: The Turnover Monster

Postby cowboypony » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:09 am

I agree that the marketing department is doing a very good job. Apathy is an indicator of the product we're putting out there. It's like trying to get people to go watch a bad movie. Change the product and we'll get more interest - period.

Plus, as I said before, we've lost an entire generation of fans/alums since the DP who barely even know that SMU competes in D1 athletics. When you combine this with our small alum base, it's easy to see why our attendance is where it is.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Return to Basketball