PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Where is the real Shake?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Where is the real Shake?

Postby jimhagle » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:46 am

While watching the game last night I was baffled [again] by the way Skake was running the team. He seemed to almost always look to pass the ball as soon as he touched the ball and almost never looked for his shot. Is this the guy we thought we were getting 2 years ago? I think not. What has become of this once budding star? I thought he was the type of player who could take over a game but he looks like he is afraid to do anything like that. Come on Shake you are better than this.
jimhagle
Heisman

Re: Where is the real Shake?

Postby flockofseagulls » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:18 am

Great pep talk, coach!

He's learning to play a new position. Doesn't happen overnight.
@seagulls00
flockofseagulls
Junior Varsity

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:05 am

I think Shake has been admirably good, just not the breakout many thought. He's geting 12 ppg, I was thinking closer to 15. Either way, he's 2/1 assist to turnover, getting the team in their flow, which is just different than what I thought it would be. All that said, his demise is greatly exaggerated. He's freaking huge, massive on the perimeter as we change Ds. HE'll get more comfortable, but early results are more good than bad
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony_Law » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:14 am

I think Shake has been good when factoring in the adjustment to a new position. As Hoop mentioned his length and athletacism has already been a nightmare for opposing players when Shake is on D. The only thing I wish he did more was drive the paint.

Also His shooting is down because I think the responsibility of taking the ball up is contributing to slight fatigue (especially sense the scouting report seems to be to pressure the ball).
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyFan32 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:17 am

Re watch the Memphis game and you'll see some times when shake is guarding dedric Lawson like it's no big deal. That is a valuable thing to have when your team doesn't have the size advantage. It doesn't show up in the stat sheet. I agree that shake doesn't seem like the crunch time guy we thought we might see, but he handles things like presses well and as mentioned the ratio is good. Minimal complaints here.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby Harry0569 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:17 am

I'd urge everyone to watch the video of Shake on Draft Express.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Shake-Milton-71517/

Does a fantastic job of showing his strengths and weaknesses.

He's been a little passive, but I put that more on Jank want to run the offense for 30 seconds than Shake not being aggressive.

Also - can announcers stop talking about how we push the tempo?????!!!! We are 339 / 351 in adjusted tempo (# of possessions per game). We play at a snail's pace.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby geezerdonk » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:53 am

He is in Brindisi.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby Duke Blue Blood » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:37 pm

Shake will be fine. He is a true 2. Nic made him (and a lot of other guys) better than they were.

My main concern with Shake is his inability to create his own shot. Needs to work on driving the ball better. He alters his shot a lot.

Good new for us is he is going to stay and Semi most likely as well.
Duke Blue Blood
Heisman

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:30 pm

Duke Blue Blood wrote:Shake will be fine. He is a true 2. Nic made him (and a lot of other guys) better than they were.

My main concern with Shake is his inability to create his own shot. Needs to work on driving the ball better. He alters his shot a lot.

Good new for us is he is going to stay and Semi most likely as well.

Agree with the last part. Be huge to get both back. I am puzzled by Shake not being able to create his own shot more. He HS he was great at scoring around the goal and creating space on his pull-up and step-back jumpers. Would like to see him do that more like he did to open the game against Pitt.

Agree w/ Hoop though that Shake hasn't played poorly just hasn't been a breakout star like alot of us expected after the summer and secret scrimmages he had. Still a good player with a bright future.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby jimhagle » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:56 pm

LB tried to get him to be more aggressive with his looks but he still seems timid for some reason to let loose and I mean his talent.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:57 pm

I thought Shake played fine last night.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby jimhagle » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:59 pm

Rebel10 wrote:I thought he played fine last night.

Yes, on defense-3-9 shooting not so good.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby Wild Mustang » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:13 pm

Shake Milton is an unbelievable player who seems to always play under control and for the most part does not force much. Unfortunately out of necessity he is forced into playing a Pseudo-PG position, which quite honestly does not suit his skillset. I am definitely still hopeful that Shake will step his game up and be even more aggressive on the offensive end of the floor.

If I could rub a genie lamp I guess I would probably wish that he would attack the basket more, play the 2 Guard, and work on his off-the-ball game on the offensive end... but unfortunately beggars cannot be choosers this season with the limits on our roster and no true PG. We can almost always count on a consistent effort and level of production from both Shake and Sterling. Not sure that Shake is truly ready for the NBA or ready to turn professional, but with his measurables, his skills, and the $ that he could make in the NBA or overseas might be too much to pass up after the season. Hope he is in an SMU Mustang Uniform next season.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:47 pm

Nothing wrong with Shake. I wish we had a couple more of him on the active roster. Too many were expecting him to be a taller Nic Moore and he never will be but as Hoop says, I'm happy with any of my guards to are running a 2:1 assist:turnover ratio and come crunch time, I want the ball in Shake's hand because he has been money from the stripe
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:07 pm

I like Shake.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Next

Return to Basketball