PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Where is the real Shake?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Where is the real Shake?

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:08 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Nothing wrong with Shake. I wish we had a couple more of him on the active roster. Too many were expecting him to be a taller Nic Moore and he never will be but as Hoop says, I'm happy with any of my guards to are running a 2:1 assist:turnover ratio and come crunch time, I want the ball in Shake's hand because he has been money from the stripe

Exactly. He's nothing like Nic and this summer's NBA hype was a bit much. Shake is solid in all aspects of the game. He's not flashy and he's certainly not emotional. He's a great team guy you can trust down the stretch. He'll make some big shots this season.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:03 pm

He struggles to create his own shot because he only goes right. He can't go left, and everyone knows it so they guard him that way.

As others have said, he is a 2 not a 1. He is a team player by nature and plays under control, so he doesn't push the pace. When we make a point of Brown bringing the ball up the team plays much faster. I was a little surprised that we had Shake bring the ball up so much against Memphis after Brown controlling the ball so much in other games.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:04 pm

JasonB wrote:He struggles to create his own shot because he only goes right. He can't go left, and everyone knows it so they guard him that way.

As others have said, he is a 2 not a 1. He is a team player by nature and plays under control, so he doesn't push the pace. When we make a point of Brown bringing the ball up the team plays much faster. I was a little surprised that we had Shake bring the ball up so much against Memphis after Brown controlling the ball so much in other games.

I don't know the numbers on going right vs left, but most of his finishes at the rim this year have been when he went left. I personally think he's struggling to get his own, mostly cause we have so much backcourt/wing motion from the second we get over half court. We don't play match-ups, just run our stuff. So many times we should be all hard high ball screen and let Shake go, but doesn't happen much
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball