PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

When is Semi...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

When is Semi...

Postby Duke Blue Blood » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:28 pm

When is Semi no longer the Ex-Duke player? He played four games at Duke.

Yes, I am aware of my board name.
Duke Blue Blood
Heisman

Re: When is Semi...

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:11 pm

I say the longer the media refers to Him as that....the better.
How many more Semis are there grabbing asses full of splinters behind future lottery picks?

Send us Marques Boldin please.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:14 pm

Gu is still a Virginia Tech transfer.. If Semi is back next year then he might not be the Duke transfer.

And Bolden well just go pro after this year, even if he only plays like 8-10MPG. I do love getting big time transfers though.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Wild Mustang » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:57 pm

I understand your question and can understand where you are coming from, but honestly it does not bother me at all that any of our players are labeled a "Duke Transfer", a "Virginia Tech Transfer", a "Texas Tech Transfer", a "Illinois State Transfer", or a "Villanova Transfer".

Quite honestly I think it is more exposure for SMU. Anytime SMU is in the same conversation with Duke, Villanova, etc. only good things can happen for SMU. SMU is now a Basketball Program that players from other schools want to play for. On top of that, like it or not, transfers are now a major part of college basketball.

Let's take a step back and think about the past couple of years and the transfers that have helped make the SMU Basketball Program
Nic Moore (Illinois State)
Markus Kennedy (Villanova)
Justin Tolbert (Texas Tech)
Ben Emelogu (Virginia Tech)
Semi Ojeleye (Duke)
Jimmy Whitt (Arkansas) next season
I am sure there is someone that transferred to SMU that I am leaving out

If you were to tell me 10 years ago or 5 years ago that SMU would have transfers from these schools playing at SMU I am not sure that I would believe you. What Coach Brown, Coach Jank, and Staff have done for SMU Basketball is truly amazing. They have created a winning culture at SMU. They have created a program where kids want to come here and play. Go Mustangs!
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby skyscraper » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:29 pm

Doesn't bother me. Anytime you get Duke and SMU in the same breath when talking bball is fine.
skyscraper

Postby SMUstang07 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:25 pm

I think that is typical. Is Sed named as an SMU transfer? Hell they even called Wilfong a few Med Memphis player yesterday.
SMUstang07
Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:56 pm

Duke Blue Blood wrote:When is Semi no longer the Ex-Duke player? He played four games at Duke.

I assume you are exaggerating, but Semi played 23 games at Duke.

As long as we mention "Duke transfer" in our game notes they will continue to talk about it because usually the talking heads just read the stuff put in front of them.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PonySnob » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:27 pm

Not much talk about Mudiay anymore.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:05 am

I thought this thread was gonna say, when is Semi actually gonna go up strong at the rim and dunk the ball. Dude is ultra soft around the rim, has no touch, and can't make a layup.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:27 am

I don't think he's ultra soft I just think he's really about 6-6.5 and is trying to shoot over taller players-he hasn't really learned to make the extra pass inside as well as our other bigs in recent years. Had one the other night though

See:

Notes: Measured 6'6.5 (in shoes) 217 lbs, with a 6'9.5 wingspan at the 2012 LeBron James Skills Academy ... Full name is Semilore Ojeleye

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/semi-ojeleye
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:31 pm

PonySnob wrote:Not much talk about Mudiay anymore.

Never played a minute...big difference. Perhaps in some talking head's extended rant about LB but then how often do you hear mention of anyone's recruiting failures?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:42 am

PonyPlayer4 wrote:I thought this thread was gonna say, when is Semi actually gonna go up strong at the rim and dunk the ball. Dude is ultra soft around the rim, has no touch, and can't make a layup.

It would be nice if he added a bit more game down near the semicircle but I love having a guy like that as such a huge three-point threat.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:37 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
PonyPlayer4 wrote:I thought this thread was gonna say, when is Semi actually gonna go up strong at the rim and dunk the ball. Dude is ultra soft around the rim, has no touch, and can't make a layup.

It would be nice if he added a bit more game down near the semicircle but I love having a guy like that as such a huge three-point threat.

Semi has been better than advertised and he was highly advertised. The weird thing is in a totally different way than I imagined. I figured he would be like a better shooting Tolbert (with even better hops and touch around the goal) where he was throwing down everyone's oops and attacking the basket where guys couldn't physical him up.

Instead he is a deadly pick & pop big man & spot up shooter. He is a good driver but does need to work on finishing through contact or adjusting his shot.

For how good Semi is there is plenty he can still improve and if he does he could be an all-American for us next year.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Return to Basketball