PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL GAME 18 THREAD: SMU vs. Cinci

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL GAME 18 THREAD: SMU vs. Cinci

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:04 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:
Stallion wrote:DaShawn actually made a nice drive to the basket-but then missed both FTs-he's done that in several recent games. I'd feel a lot better if he would knock those down. No turnovers

Just as frustrating as Jarrey's free throw shooting last year. I think DaShawn has a place on this team as a four year contributor...never a star....maybe never a starter...but a solid bench guy. We are going to be pretty deep out front next year. Young....but deep.

I agree. Not saying that McDowell doesnt have a place on the team. I think he will be a contributor down the line (probably as a Junior and Senior) due to the depth at guard next year. McDowell is way behind where Jarrey was last year and isn't as athletic or coming of an ACL tear. That being said he is a pretty good athlete and can get to the basket very well. Just needs to learn how to finish in traffic and hit some free throws (10-25 from the FT line now).

I understand there is a jump from HS to freshman (I'm not comparing him to Sterling), but I also watch all of the other freshman (not even mentioning the top guys in the country) just in the AAC and McDowell isnt even in the top 10 freshman in the AAC. Not trying to bag on him, he is a great kid, works hard and will contribute, but he has a steep learning curve.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:36 am

I know what your saying but when you are down to 6 or 7 you got to lock arms and pull for who you got. Kind of like Ben Hicks last season in football. We likely are going to need Gu and McDowell to contribute some nite some day-so I choose to pull for him
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:49 am

Gu and Dashawn were serviceable last night. Gu in particular gets a lot of heat, but he's not bad at all. Is he a great shooter in games? Hell no. Does he hurt you on the floor, not really. Dashawn can get to rim, but at his size, sorta plays below it. I like his skillset some, but he makes mistakes in extended runs.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:18 am

terrific game and comeback by our guys. Cincy came out on fire but you knew they weren't going to hit 75% from three all night. We had our hottest hand taking a three for the win and our other senior had an opportunity for a put back to sent it to OT. Can't ask for much more considering this was a road game at the highest ranked team in the AAC.

Now it's time to get back to business in New Orleans. Would love to see a W and by a comfortable margin as I'd like to see our bench get a few more minutes. Just need to stay healthy and keep it rolling. Guys are playing pretty well right now and once again we out rebounded a taller opponent
Charleston Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:36 am

Charleston Pony wrote:terrific game and comeback by our guys. Cincy came out on fire but you knew they weren't going to hit 75% from three all night. We had our hottest hand taking a three for the win and our other senior had an opportunity for a put back to sent it to OT. Can't ask for much more considering this was a road game at the highest ranked team in the AAC.

Now it's time to get back to business in New Orleans. Would love to see a W and by a comfortable margin as I'd like to see our bench get a few more minutes. Just need to stay healthy and keep it rolling. Guys are playing pretty well right now and once again we out rebounded a taller opponent

We are inside one of two pretty tough stretches right now. A second road game following one like last night is tough no matter who it's against. UCONN played very well in their last game. Then Houston comes in 2 days later. That's a tough 4 game- 10 day stretch on six guys.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:38 am

By my eyes,, not that it will be easy, we should take our next 5. That's 19-4. Nose to the Grindstone
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:40 am

hoopmanx wrote:Gu and Dashawn were serviceable last night. Gu in particular gets a lot of heat, but he's not bad at all. Is he a great shooter in games? Hell no. Does he hurt you on the floor, not really. Dashawn can get to rim, but at his size, sorta plays below it. I like his skillset some, but he makes mistakes in extended runs.

It's sad that Gu's shooting troubles over-shadow his contributions off the ball, with the ball and on defense. The kid is good and helps this team. I wish to hell he could have nailed that three last night.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:54 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:Gu and Dashawn were serviceable last night. Gu in particular gets a lot of heat, but he's not bad at all. Is he a great shooter in games? Hell no. Does he hurt you on the floor, not really. Dashawn can get to rim, but at his size, sorta plays below it. I like his skillset some, but he makes mistakes in extended runs.

It's sad that Gu's shooting troubles over-shadow his contributions off the ball, with the ball and on defense. The kid is good and helps this team. I wish to hell he could have nailed that three last night.

Agreed. He's been a really effective ball handler for us in a year people were worrying about ball handling, but no one ever mentions what a huge contribution that is.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Harry0569 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:23 am

hoopmanx wrote:By my eyes,, not that it will be easy, we should take our next 5. That's 19-4. Nose to the Grindstone

Per KenPom:

Sunday 1/15 @ Tulane - W 77-62
Thursday 1/19 vs. UCONN - W 64-53
Saturday 1/21 vs. UH - W 67-61
Wednesday 1/25 @ UCF - W 62-59
Wednesday 2/1 vs. ECU - W 70-52
Saturday 2/4 @ Tulsa - W 70-63
Thursday 2/9 @ Temple - W 69-65
Sunday 2/12 vs. Cinci - W 62-60
Wednesday 2/15 vs. Tulane - W 81-59
Saturday 2/18 @ UH - L 65-63
Saturday 2/25 @ UCONN - W 61-57
Thursday 3/2 vs. Tulsa - W 73-60
Saturday 3/4 vs. Memphis - W 73-63
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby ojaipony » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:24 am

Zero points from the bench. Zero. And our highest scoring player plays way way below his averages. And we only lost by 2, should have won it even at the end there. So .... it sucks but hope we learn and go on a run here, need to beat Houston.
ojaipony

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:32 am

Harry0569 wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:By my eyes,, not that it will be easy, we should take our next 5. That's 19-4. Nose to the Grindstone

Per KenPom:

Sunday 1/15 @ Tulane - W 77-62
Thursday 1/19 vs. UCONN - W 64-53
Saturday 1/21 vs. UH - W 67-61
Wednesday 1/25 @ UCF - W 62-59
Wednesday 2/1 vs. ECU - W 70-52
Saturday 2/4 @ Tulsa - W 70-63
Thursday 2/9 @ Temple - W 69-65
Sunday 2/12 vs. Cinci - W 62-60
Wednesday 2/15 vs. Tulane - W 81-59
Saturday 2/18 @ UH - L 65-63
Saturday 2/25 @ UCONN - W 61-57
Thursday 3/2 vs. Tulsa - W 73-60
Saturday 3/4 vs. Memphis - W 73-63

I would take that and move on to the AAC Tourney right now
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:32 am

If Gu had hit that late 3 I think we stroll away with the win. Not a slam on Gu. You make some and you miss some but that was like a Nic Moore moment like when Nic hit the big 3s against Cincy at home last year.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:37 am

mrydel wrote:If Gu had hit that late 3 I think we stroll away with the win. Not a slam on Gu. You make some and you miss some but that was like a Nic Moore moment like when Nic hit the big 3s against Cincy at home last year.

we definitely got spoiled and just came to expect Nic to hit the big shot in the clutch. All the talk about the UCLA loss was about the goal tending call, but lost in all of that is that Nic had 2 shots after that call that still could have won that game for SMU, but came up short on both
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:37 am

Best rivalry in the AAC IMO. Still shocked after seeing the replay that a foul wasn't called late. Ben Moore has to get the rebound with one hand as he's being yanked away from the hoop then gets shoved towards the baseline as he's going up for the layup. unbelievable
Pony ^

Postby RI Stang » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:52 am

I sure hope the committee was watching that game, no way you can tell me those aren't two solid tourney teams capable of making some serious noise in the tourney.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... takeaways/
RI Stang
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball