PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL GAME 18 THREAD: SMU vs. Cinci

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL GAME 18 THREAD: SMU vs. Cinci

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:58 am

I liked the way that Sterling took control as the game went on. He set up plays and shots as a point guard. He had 20 points, 11 rebounds, and 3 assists. He didn't shy away from taking critical shots. He did everything you want a senior to do.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby JoeKidd » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:00 am

If there is such a thing as an okay loss, that was it. Cincy came out on fire, we took their best shot and had a chance to win it in the end. Ben and Sterling were such warriors last night, especially Sterling....he solely pretty much kept us in the game during the first half.

I think the committee watches that and says Cincy is a top 20 team and we are top 35 and both should be in the tourney. Now we have to take care of business and go win the next 5.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby Harry0569 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:25 am

RI Stang wrote:I sure hope the committee was watching that game, no way you can tell me those aren't two solid tourney teams capable of making some serious noise in the tourney.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... takeaways/

bump
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smusportspage » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:33 am

H-E-B Mustang wrote:I liked the way that Sterling took control as the game went on. He set up plays and shots as a point guard. He had 20 points, 11 rebounds, and 3 assists. He didn't shy away from taking critical shots. He did everything you want a senior to do.

Word. He did have that pass to the ref though. Just have to shrug it off..hey, it happens.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby SmooBoy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:48 am

SmooBoy wrote:While a win tonight would be superb, this is more of a measuring stick game as to how far we've come from our three losses. Hoping for a complete effort. A close loss does not derail the season one bit.

And it was as complete as you can get without a W. Yes, we missed layups. Cincy started hot and we hung in. This team has grit.
SmooBoy

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:51 am

Well, that one hurt but what a gutsy comeback. I can't believe Sterling's three didn't go down and I really can't believe Ben's follow didn't drop. Cincinnati is a really good team and Fifth Third is a tough building. Our guys showed a lot last night. We got nothing from our bench and still almost won. Our seniors played the way seniors should play in big games. Proud of those guys. This is a tourney team and we can still win the conference. On to NOLA.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Arkpony » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:55 am

I normally don't re-watch a lost game. But last night my wife and I did. We were both screaming at the closing minutes as if we did not already know the outcome. I am so proud of these guys! What guts!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Smulaw90 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:11 pm

Arkpony wrote:I normally don't re-watch a lost game. But last night my wife and I did. We were both screaming at the closing minutes as if we did not already know the outcome. I am so proud of these guys! What guts!

I was on a date and we caught the last 9 minutes at the bar. Afterward, I took her home and then went to my house and watched the whole game even though I knew the outcome. I loved how this team fought and never seemed out of it. So proud of Ben and Sterling. This was the game the seniors really imposed their will on the other team.

PONYUP!!
Smulaw90
Junior Varsity

Postby EastStang » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:18 pm

I think the refs were letting them play which made inside shots look uglier than they were. Give Cincy credit they are tough inside on defense and cause shots to adjust. Last shot should have been a foul, but getting a call like that on the road is almost unheard of in the last 10 seconds. Wish the rim was a little loose and the backboard a little deader. I saw our freshman player miss those free throws. He was sooo stiff at the line. His knees were locked. Not going to make many free throws with such an approach. Needs to bend his knees and let it go. Sterling was amazing last night.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:43 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
sadderbudweiser wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:Gu and Dashawn were serviceable last night. Gu in particular gets a lot of heat, but he's not bad at all. Is he a great shooter in games? Hell no. Does he hurt you on the floor, not really. Dashawn can get to rim, but at his size, sorta plays below it. I like his skillset some, but he makes mistakes in extended runs.

It's sad that Gu's shooting troubles over-shadow his contributions off the ball, with the ball and on defense. The kid is good and helps this team. I wish to hell he could have nailed that three last night.

Agreed. He's been a really effective ball handler for us in a year people were worrying about ball handling, but no one ever mentions what a huge contribution that is.

I shudder to think where we'd be right now without him.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby stangsup4 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:45 pm

People talking about Gu's defense like he wasn't the worst defensive player on the floor last night.

Dude was out of position time after time, leading to the defense having to over rotate and eventually open 3s for Cincinnati.
stangsup4
All-American

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:57 pm

Staff was happy w Gu on D last night, just saying.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:27 pm

He has a fan in Arkansas

All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ebrooks11 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:26 pm

mrydel wrote:He has a fan in Arkansas

For some reason Lewinsky popped in my head.
ebrooks11
Heisman

Postby stangsup4 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:56 pm

hoopmanx wrote:Staff was happy w Gu on D last night, just saying.

If they were then they must have some historically low expectations for Gu. I re-watched this morning and it was badddddddd.
stangsup4
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball