PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Updated Rivals 2017 Top 150

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Updated Rivals 2017 Top 150

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:02 pm

RI Stang wrote:Whomever we add is going to need to be a beast on the boards to replace Sterling and Ben M. Don't know a ton about Whitt but he looks pretty small to me and can't imagine he'll rebound at the level that Sterling does. Hard to rely on one of the HS bigs to come in and contribute more than 5-8 boards per game, so still hoping a rebounding big of some sort (with immediate eligibility) can be added to replace Ben M, especially early in the season next year while the newbies get acclimated.

Rebound by committee. I have a really high opinion of Ray as Ben Moore, fairly quickly
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RI Stang » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:43 pm

That would be huge. I think Ben has really stepped up his game these last few weeks. He and Sterling seem extremely determined to make the most of this opportunity, exactly what you want to see from your seniors.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:11 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
RI Stang wrote:Whomever we add is going to need to be a beast on the boards to replace Sterling and Ben M. Don't know a ton about Whitt but he looks pretty small to me and can't imagine he'll rebound at the level that Sterling does. Hard to rely on one of the HS bigs to come in and contribute more than 5-8 boards per game, so still hoping a rebounding big of some sort (with immediate eligibility) can be added to replace Ben M, especially early in the season next year while the newbies get acclimated.

Rebound by committee. I have a really high opinion of Ray as Ben Moore, fairly quickly

The staff really loves what they are getting with Ray. Way underrated. Will be a solid rebounder and defender day one, similar to how Ben Moore was. Chargois likely has a higher ceiling, but will need some work on his body.

I'm sure what the staff is looking for in the JuCo and Grad transfer ranks is a good athlete, who is a real good rebounder, hustles, and plays D. Obviously he will need to score some, but we don't need the person to be a lethal scorer. (that would be a plus though).
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:13 pm

I will take a roster full of 6'5" - 6'8" athletes all day long. We've got nobody over 6'8" and we are out rebounding everyone we play
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstangs22 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:56 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I will take a roster full of 6'5" - 6'8" athletes all day long. We've got nobody over 6'8" and we are out rebounding everyone we play

And its not even close
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:50 pm

A huge advantage of interchangeable parts is competition in practice. You aren't trying to beat out 1 player for a spot. 5 guys on the bench are fighting to force the weakest starter back to the bench.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball