PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

McDowell

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

McDowell

Postby PonyTime » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:47 am

Let me start by saying that I love watching the kid. But - how do you average 29 ppg in high school and not be able to shoot free throws?

Currently 10-25 on the year. He is great at getting to the line, but is not able to get the freebies. At this point in the year, this is a trend, not a factor of being based on just a couple of attempts.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: McDowell

Postby okcponyfan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:56 am

been saying this for a while, he needs more minutes during blowout games.

Vs USF he only got 7 minutes- should have been 15
vs ECU he only got 6 minutes should have been 15

The more comfortable he gets the more his shot will go down
okcponyfan
Varsity

Postby SMUstangs22 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:59 am

He needs to remake his shot in the offseason.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTime » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:06 am

okcponyfan wrote:been saying this for a while, he needs more minutes during blowout games.

Vs USF he only got 7 minutes- should have been 15
vs ECU he only got 6 minutes should have been 15

The more comfortable he gets the more his shot will go down

Yes - I think you are right okcponyfan. Seems that he is always shooing FT within about 90 seconds of getting into the game (because every time he drives, he is fouled) thus he is still a bit cold when he is headed up to the line each time.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:31 am

If you're a 6'5 PG in high school that can handle, you better get 22 plus PPG. Problem is, that once you get to college, unless you're leaping finisher, those easy layups off the glass get pinned. He has his place in the rotation, cause he's a cerebral kid, just needs to settle in, not lose focus on D and work on shot mechanics some. LAst night, his two FT misses were identical off the back iron. Adjust after the first, Dashawn
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Smulaw90 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:15 pm

I want him to do well (I know we all do). But when he's in the game his face says, "ok, play defense . . . keep my hands up . . . don't turn the ball over . . . concentrate on free throws...." Too much thinking. He plays like he doesn't want to mess up. I probably would too if put in that spotlight.

That being said, I hope he settles in soon. We need McDowell!
Last edited by Smulaw90 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smulaw90
Junior Varsity

Postby gostangs » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:21 pm

Unlike some others, he has the physical tools and he hustles and seems plenty smart about his game. I think he is going to be great for us in a year or so.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:28 pm

More minutes!!!
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:04 pm

Smulaw90 wrote:I want him to do well (I know we all do). But when he's in the game his face says, "ok, play defense . . . keep my hands up . . . don't turn the ball over . . . concentrate on free throws...." Too much thinking. He plays like he doesn't want to mess up. I probably would too if put in that spotlight.

That being said, I hope he settles in soon. We need McDowell!

Yeah, he is thinking way too much and is now in a "crap I don't wanna miss both free throws" or "I cant make a mistake" mode. Needs to stop thinking and play, but it is hard with such limited minutes. I wish we would get him 12-18 minutes against Tulane, USF, and ECU type teams.

He will be better next year just because he will have gone through a season and full off-season and he is a hard worker. He will need to improve his shot and finishing around the rim alot if he is going to crack the deep guard rotation we will have next year only losing 1 and adding 3. He will be a solid bench guy going forward after this season.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:35 pm

I actually don't see much loss of ball movement when he enters the game. He's dishing, passing and driving. Just needs to work on the above stated weaknesses
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ponyinNC » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:40 pm

he's a true frosh that was injured in HS - without our sanctions and transfers, I'd guess he would be playing 2-4 min a game. Now he is thrust into a 7 man rotation against senior, experienced teams like Cincy. He will be a good role player for us for 4 years, and I like that.

Question for the real BB experts - isn't the biggest jump in BB IQ between frosh and soph years?
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jimhagle » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:51 pm

Almost all of his free throw misses have been on the long side. That should be easily fixable. Just shoot it softer. I doubt he was a bad free throw shooter in high school. I like his upside and energy. I think he will be more than fine when he gets more playing time and experience. Shake concerns me with his lack of consistency from the perimeter. Thought he was going to be an absolute stud from there and it isn't there this year. He is more talented than he is showing and should be comfortable with point guard by now. And Sterling rose up last night and kept us in the game almost by himself. He and Ben were really good last night. We shoot even a decent percentage and we win the game fairly easily.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:04 pm

practice, practice, practice...and getting more minutes against weaker opponents will help him get more comfortable at game speed. Looks to me like a guy who will get better if he works hard enough. I don't know anything about his practice habits, but he will have to work hard to earn future minutes with the guys we have coming in. I've always heard that 2nd year is the biggest improvement and just look at Jarrey as an example (of course he also needs to work on FTs).
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:46 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:practice, practice, practice...and getting more minutes against weaker opponents will help him get more comfortable at game speed. Looks to me like a guy who will get better if he works hard enough. I don't know anything about his practice habits, but he will have to work hard to earn future minutes with the guys we have coming in. I've always heard that 2nd year is the biggest improvement and just look at Jarrey as an example (of course he also needs to work on FTs).

100% I dont get why McDowell doesn't play more against the bottom teams in the conference. It would really help his development. It is a bummer he isnt producing or playing well enough to be considered a top 10 frosh in the AAC. We could use more production, but he is more of a needs development player. McDowell had a really good senior season and put up big numbers, but it was mainly as Hoop has said he is 6'5 and could get the the rack and lay it up at will and now his layup are getting blocked or he gets fouled. He will learn how to finish as time goes on.

I do agree with PonyinNC, that in a perfect world McDowell could just get small minutes here and there and develop slowly. I dont think McDowell was hurt in HS, at least not his senior year, might be mistaking him with Foster. He will likely turn into a good role player down the line.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:42 pm

He shoots free throws with stiff legs. No bend. Going to keep bricking if you shoot them stiff legged
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Next

Return to Basketball