PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

All 5 Starters Now Averaging Double Figures

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

All 5 Starters Now Averaging Double Figures

Postby Stallion » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:47 pm

"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: All 5 Starters Now Averaging Double Figures

Postby Lebanese4Life » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:35 am

that's truly a fascinating statistic. wonder if any other team in the country can claim this.
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby RI Stang » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:43 pm

I can't believe that Shake is only shooting 39% - NEVER would have predicted that and if you had told me that I would have expected us to be about a .500 team. If he can find his shooting stroke in the second half of the year, I believe the offense could really take off.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:47 pm

RI Stang wrote:I can't believe that Shake is only shooting 39% - NEVER would have predicted that and if you had told me that I would have expected us to be about a .500 team. If he can find his shooting stroke in the second half of the year, I believe the offense could really take off.

he's leading the team by far in assists and has the best assist:turnover so he's having to lead this team rather than serve as it's 2 guard/gunner. If we can find someone to run the point next year and put Shake in a position to do more scoring, he might just have that monster year (next year) everyone was expecting this year. Of course the down side is that he might then become more attractive to the NBA and leave early
Charleston Pony

Postby RI Stang » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:50 pm

Don't get me wrong - not a knock on Shake at all and his other numbers are solid, not to mention leading the team in minutes, which is a necessity I think. I'm just saying that I'm surprised his shooting percentage is that low and even a moderate uptick could really be a nice development down the stretch.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:54 pm

RI Stang wrote:Don't get me wrong - not a knock on Shake at all and his other numbers are solid, not to mention leading the team in minutes, which is a necessity I think. I'm just saying that I'm surprised his shooting percentage is that low and even a moderate uptick could really be a nice development down the stretch.

Big difference is that he's having to create more of his own shots this season. He probably misses little Nic more than anyone on this team.
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:14 pm

more than half his shots are 3s where he his hitting 38% (which is an effective shooting percentage on 3s of 57%) so its not that bad.

What amazing is that SMU has 3 other red hot shooting 3 point shooters-got to be a record

Brown 47.6%
Foster 46.5%
Semi 43.2%
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:24 pm

Stallion wrote:more than half his shots are 3s where he his hitting 38% (which is an effective shooting percentage on 3s of 57%) so its not that bad.

What amazing is that SMU has 3 other red hot shooting 3 point shooters-got to be a record

Brown 47.6%
Foster 46.5%
Semi 43.2%

We are becoming as a team pretty much what was predicted/expected. Those are some pretty salty numbers. If they can be maintained we should be fine through conference. I'm sure we'll get an off night or two but the beauty of this is that we have four gunners and even a fifth when Ben E hits. Someone posted his 3 point percentage in conference...about the same as Shake.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby JasonB » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:56 pm

Sterling is shooting much worse from 2 than I expected. Bigger surprise than Shake's struggles from the field IMHO.

Shake isn't getting left alone at the three point line and has nobody to create for him.
JasonB

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:53 am

JasonB wrote:Sterling is shooting much worse from 2 than I expected. Bigger surprise than Shake's struggles from the field IMHO.

Shake isn't getting left alone at the three point line and has nobody to create for him.

When we are a bit deeper next year I expect Shake to have a monster year. This season he has been consistently beating his man off the dribble but he is not finishing at the rim and is not getting the calls. I think in a season where he only plays about 30 minutes a game he will be able to elevate a tad better which will help his finishing immensely.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby jimhagle » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:24 pm

JasonB wrote:Sterling is shooting much worse from 2 than I expected. Bigger surprise than Shake's struggles from the field IMHO.

He has had many clean looks from the 3 point line but unlike Nic he has seemed very apprehensive to shoot most of the time. Seems he just isn't very confident this year from there for some reason.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:12 pm

I don't know what games JasonB is watching-all SMU's snipers get great looks from the 3 point line and they are generally within the flow and wide open except perhaps Gu early in the season when he was forcing some shots. I really don't want to be the team that takes the most 3 point shots-I want to be the team that takes the best 3 point shots. Think we are getting there which is shown by our shooting percentage. If your 4th best 3 point shooter is hitting 38% then I'm ecstatic about that especially since Shake has the ability to improve that significantly

Stallion

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:09 pm

I am glad that we no longer get outscored 48-6 in three point shots.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Basketball