PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Twitter love

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Twitter love

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:32 am

@SethDavisHoops
SMU is manhandling a pretty good Houston team right now. Stop sleeping on this team, America.

@JonRothstein
SMU improves to 17-4 with a 21-point win over Houston. One guy not getting enough credit for the coaching job he's doing? Tim Jankovich.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Twitter love

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:13 am

My confidence in Jank's coaching ability is complete- 26-4 as a head coach under tough restrictions. I argued he was a big part of our success when he was an assistant. But honestly there is another factor that will determine his success. Can he recruit the players necessary to maintain the program-he wasn't given much of a break in trying to build a program with severe recruiting restrictions. I'm pulling for the guy-great understated personality for a Coach-hopefully recruits notice
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby hoopmanx » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:20 am

Stallion, this staff is made to recruit. People and coaches have always questioned his Xs and O's, but few have ever said he can't recruit. Demoting Hobbie, bumping up Duncs, who is a star, and grabbing Forrest, were world class moves. He's also always been thought of as a players coach, so I imagine that will resonate in the trail too
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstangs22 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:33 am

hoopmanx wrote:Stallion, this staff is made to recruit. People and coaches have always questioned his Xs and O's, but few have ever said he can't recruit. Demoting Hobbie, bumping up Duncs, who is a star, and grabbing Forrest, were world class moves. He's also always been thought of as a players coach, so I imagine that will resonate in the trail too

Hoop what do you think of his Xs and Os this year? I have been very pleased with a lot of the changes made aince the ugly start (sans using 2-3 against 3 pt barrage teams like last night in the 2nd half, on the other hand love that 1-3-1)
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:55 pm

Wasn't Duncan responsible for recruiting Australia? Does some of the shine come off?
JasonB

Postby hoopmanx » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:28 pm

1) the last 2 seasons I've mostly been impressed w Janks system. He's keeping much of the defensive system Brown put in, but added the 3/4 court press and various zones we've morphed between. He's shown the nards to eat minutes when necessary w walk ons etc. Mostly, he found a way to get the team to respond this season offensively after looking lost early. Beyond that, he's far smarter about how to practice w this short a roster. Brown ran our kids into the ground last season, which caused the late season swoon. Whereas that could still happen, it won't be bc we lose our legs in practice.

2) Duncs helped secure the Aussies, but neither were a priority, more recruits of convenience in a sanction filled year, where our brand was tarnished in states. He doesn't get blame, cause it's just what we needed to do, not really what staff wanted to do. Both had to happen after Brown passed on Curry and the lil Purdue kid. If we want to deduct the Aussies from his lore, gotta add Markus.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstangs22 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:29 pm

He was also responsible for William Douglas. I am sure the evals were done by those above him and he was a foot soldier. Also remember we were recruiting for a diffwrent style offense. I bet we figured we could get him into better shape
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUstangs22 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:31 pm

Passing on Curry right after sanctions announced is the dumbest of dumb
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Wild Mustang » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:39 pm

My thoughts exactly Jason B. Wasn't Jay Duncan responsible for recruiting Harry Frolling and Tom Wilson. I wouldn't exactly say Jay Duncan is an All-Star Recruiter yet.

Regarding Coach Jank... The guy is stud Head Coach who knows how to coach up his players and play to their strengths. The fact that we are blowing out teams with really 5 players and no PG speaks volumes to his ability to coach.

I agree that the rest of the coaching staff definitely looks like they are built to recruit. Jerry Hobbie, Shawn Forrest, KT Turner, George Lynch...

Does anyone know who on the coaching staff was primarily responsible for getting a commitment from each of the SMU players over the past 3 years?
I recognize that some of the coaching staff is no longer at SMU and has moved on to Kansas. I recognize that some of our players are transfers, but someone has to be responsible for bringing them to SMU.

Nic Moore (Coach Jank)
Markus Kennedy (Coach Brown)
Keith Frazier (Coach Brown)
Sterling Brown (Jerrance Howard, Kansas)
Ben Moore (Jerrance Howard, Kansas)
Jordan Tolbert
Ben Emelogu

Semi Ojeleye
Shake Milton
Jarrey Foster

DaShawn McDowell
Harry Frolling (Coach Duncan)
Tom Wilson (Coach Duncan)

Jimmy Whitt
William Douglas
Ethan Chargoris
Everett Ray
Elijah Landrum
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUstangs22 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:45 pm

All star recruiting and all star evals are 2 totally different things and the aussie evals werent even Duncs
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUstangs22 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:46 pm

William Douglas was Duncs
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony_Law » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:52 pm

I want to know who was the guy that said Foster's talent was worth the knee injury risk. That guy made a heck of a call.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUstangs22 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:20 pm

Pony_Law wrote:I want to know who was the guy that said Foster's talent was worth the knee injury risk. That guy made a heck of a call.

KT Turner to thank for that great call I believe.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:38 pm

He was the MVP at the 5A Texas State Basketball Tournament
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JasonB » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:09 pm

Thanks for the response HoopmanX and SMUstangs22
JasonB

Next

Return to Basketball