PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL GAME 22 THREAD: SMU vs. UCF

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL GAME 22 THREAD: SMU vs. UCF

Postby Treadway21 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:03 am

Yes - It was packed on the baseline when the TV scanned over. Not only are empty seats a bad look, but the mustard color with the occasional back seat mixed is a visual wreck.

Funny thing, it was so empty that SMusic00 was easily recognizable in his blazing red shirt again the back ground of yellow empty seats.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:05 am

flockofseagulls wrote:
gostangs wrote:Ive been a critic of Gu's shooting. Not this year. Statistically his shot is as good as anyone on this team.

Embrace it.

took me all of 10 seconds to actually go look at stats to confirm my suspicion that this is laughably incorrect. gu is a great addition to the team. his defense is fantastic. his ball handling has been a pleasant surprise. great all-around team player. but do not encourage his awful shooting. the guy should be rationed 2 3pt attempts per game. period.

Prior to last night, he was one of our best 3pt shooters in league play. He should shoot as many 3s as need be, if the looks are open and within flow
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Harry0569 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:10 am

Gu is shooting 39% from 3 in conference play (includes his 1-6 performance from last night).

His swipe last night was truly magical.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby PonyTime » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:15 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
Junior wrote:I just wish Gu could hit a shot every now and then. Other than his shooting, I think he has a good game right now.

He hit 2 very clutch FTs tonight

He must have read all of our FT shooting advice that we handed out on Ponyfans last week! :D
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTime » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:17 am

JasonB wrote:What a really gutsy win.

Those of you listing tough games, don't discount @Houston.

Was at that HOU game last year. I really think that if Jank were coaching that team, we would have won that one. We had the game in the bag with 8-9 min to go and really started slowing it down Larry style which backfired as Hou went on their run. Add to that - whenever Nic was out of the game we looked lost.

That was perhaps the one game last year that I really don't know how we ended up losing.

Not at all saying that we should not be worried though.

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTime » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:21 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:
SmooBoy wrote:
Top Twenty wrote:Jank was very complimentary of Gu's D. People should lighten up on the guy...he is a valuable piece. As to Ben Moore, many of his shots were from two feet beyond his normal kill zone.

The Tacko Effect. Dude under the basket, arms reach almost to 3pt line.

Tacko Fall is very Tall.
Tacko Fall does block the ball.
Donald Trump might build a wall
Not as good as Tacko Fall.

^^^^This is awesome.

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstangs22 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:23 am

PonyTime wrote:

Was at that HOU game last year. I really think that if Jank were coaching that team, we would have won that one. We had the game in the bag with 8-9 min to go and really started slowing it down Larry style which backfired as Hou went on their run. Add to that - whenever Nic was out of the game we looked lost.

That was perhaps the one game last year that I really don't know how we ended up losing.

Tulsa at Moody is another one I would add to that list
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTime » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:38 am

SMUstangs22 wrote:
PonyTime wrote:

Tulsa at Moody is another one I would add to that list

How about Tulsa at the Reynolds Center?

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smusic 00 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:41 am

Grant Carter wrote:Smusic, how was the scene at the game?

Overall very mediocre. Maybe Tulsa-lite. Probably 2000 students there, and maybe 5 had on UCF gear. The rest of the fans never joined in the noise. I don't think they are very knowledgeable basketball fans. Had they kept up the noise it would have been a different game. The arena, like Boise, is way too big for a college atmosphere.

One thing I did like is that, like USC, they have a featured DJ who spins tunes pregame and during stoppages. But if their game production manager was at Moody, there would be a 500 page thread on here about how bad it is. Key moments were interrupted constantly by promotions, the DJ would fade into the band, etc. They could learn from us.

There is a great bar on campus about 100yds from the entrance called Burger U. So that's nice. And I met a lot of nice fans who were welcoming and recognized the magnitude of the game.

smusic 00

Postby Harry0569 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:46 am

https://twitter.com/jlapplebome/status/ ... 7528521729

"SMU So. Shake Milton w/ another solid all around game last night playing both on & off the ball. 24 AST & only 4 TO's over his last 5 games"
Last edited by Harry0569 on Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby smupony94 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:46 am

SMusic was visible the whole game
smupony94

Postby smusic 00 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:46 am

It might have been that the Mustangs had an answer for every big play by UCF; that tends to wear down crowds and keep them from getting excited.
smusic 00

Postby flockofseagulls » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:46 am

Harry0569 wrote:Gu is shooting 39% from 3 in conference play (includes his 1-6 performance from last night).

His swipe last night was truly magical.

His steal was the play of the game last night in my opinion. If I was the coach it would've earned him the green light to go brick another 3.

He's 39% from 3 in conference. That's absolutely right. That's buoyed by performances in blowouts against UH, USF, and ECU.

What has he done in games where we've won by 5 or less, or lost?
UCF: 1-6
Cincy: 0-2
Mem: 1-2
Boise: 0-2
USC: 0-3

2-15... 13%

To summon my inner Johnny Cochran... If the game's tight, Gu doesn't get a green light.
@seagulls00
flockofseagulls
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:56 am

Harry0569 wrote:https://twitter.com/jlapplebome/status/824636407528521729

"SMU So. Shake Milton w/ another solid all around game last night playing both on & off the ball. 24 AST & only 4 TO's over his last 5 games"

Shake has been awesome the last few games as good or better than many of us hoped he would be this year. He has learned how to score and play the point as the year has gone on and seems much more comfortable there.
Also, like how Jank takes him off ball for stretches. If Shake keeps it up he is going to position himself nicely to potentially be a first round pick next year with a real solid junior season. Getting noticed these past few games.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:24 am

flockofseagulls wrote:
gostangs wrote:Ive been a critic of Gu's shooting. Not this year. Statistically his shot is as good as anyone on this team.

Embrace it.

took me all of 10 seconds to actually go look at stats to confirm my suspicion that this is laughably incorrect. gu is a great addition to the team. his defense is fantastic. his ball handling has been a pleasant surprise. great all-around team player. but do not encourage his awful shooting. the guy should be rationed 2 3pt attempts per game. period.

You can't "ration" our offensive game plan. If Gu has an open look he should shoot. One of three things are going to happen and two of them are good:
1) 3 points
2) offensive rebound
3) PONYFANS collective groan as opponents actually get a rebound

Also (Mister stat guy) he rarely hits his first one or two. He hits his 3,4,5 later in the game.... shooting about 50 percent later in recent games.

Open look= SHOOT!
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball