PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NCAA Tourney Bracket sneak peek on Feb. 11

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

NCAA Tourney Bracket sneak peek on Feb. 11

Postby skyscraper » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:38 pm

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men ... -look-ncaa

March Madness is heating up early this season. For the first time ever, the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Selection Committee will offer teams and fans an in-season look at the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship bracket. NCAA Men’s Basketball Chair Mark Hollis will be in studio for the reveal of the nation’s top 16 seeds, identifying the top-four teams in each region as they stand on Feb. 11. CBS Sports and Turner Sports will present NCAA MARCH MADNESS BRACKET PREVIEW, airing Saturday, Feb. 11 at 12:30 PM, ET on CBS.

Leading off the show, the bracket with the Committee’s top 16 seeds as of Feb. 11 will be revealed. Hollis, along with host Greg Gumbel and analysts Clark Kellogg and Seth Davis, will discuss the selection and seeding process as well as the reasoning behind the Committee’s first-ever in-season bracket preview.

Noted bracketologist Jerry Palm also will join Gumbel, Kellogg and Davis later in the show to project out the entire 68 team bracket, analyze the field, discuss bubble teams and highlight key story lines heading into March.

“We are excited about giving the fans a glimpse to what the men’s basketball committee is thinking at this point of the season, and creating a buzz as we look towards Selection Sunday,” said Mark Hollis, the director of athletics at Michigan State University and chair of this year’s committee. “It’s important to recognize after this list has been released, there is still a significant portion of the regular season to be played and every league must stage its conference tournament. There’s potential for quite a bit of movement until we do it for real March 12, but this early peek will give everyone insight as to where the committee stands as we hit the stretch run of the regular season.”
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: NCAA Tourney Bracket sneak peek on Feb. 11

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:48 pm

Cool. Maybe they go to top 25 one day. Looking forward to this sneak peek.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonyTime » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:52 pm

I actually think this really sucks. But I don't like change. I am old school.

It's a great way to tell a league (well, some leagues) halfway through the season that their league sucks and you better win your conference tournament - thus making the rest of the league schedule moot.

I guess it is helpful to learn that your league may only get one (or two) into the NCAAs halfway through the season - but it sure would be demoralizing to learn that with a month to go.

Imagine if the 2013-14 SMU team learned on Feb 10th that at 19-5 (8-3 in conference) that they were not in the tourney...it was pretty demoralizing at the end of the season to learn this - but that would be a gut punch with a month to go in the season.

BTW - I fully suspect to learn on Feb 11th that we have a two bid league.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby skyscraper » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:53 pm

They're only revealing the Top 4 seeds in each region. SMU isn't learning anything that day, lol
skyscraper

Postby PonyTime » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:34 pm

OK - I'm cool with that. As long as CBS and the NCAA make a lot of money out of this thing. :D
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:37 pm

PonyTime wrote:OK - I'm cool with that. As long as CBS and the NCAA make a lot of money out of this thing. :D

I'm pretty sure CBS is gonna do a show on filling out the rest of the bracket as well. The selection committee will only do the top 4 seed in each region though.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:50 pm

PonyTime wrote:OK - I'm cool with that. As long as CBS and the NCAA make a lot of money out of this thing. :D

And just like the CFP rating things change each week with losses. I wish they would expand to the top 8 seeds. Just a snapshot and not the entire bracket.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby smusic 00 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:19 pm

This will expand and grow into a five week show filling in the doldrums between super bowl and MM.
smusic 00

Return to Basketball